Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

No record, bomb. I can`t believe Friday turned out like this. I expected to be amazed by records and now this underperformance of the century.

I am almost crying. Still can't believe this. I was really confident in over 170M OW.

For most sites, Avengers leveled out in the mid-high 60s before shooting up to Rth's 80M.

Yeah true I remember reading that thread. Talk about running the gamut. I'm just gonna wait a little longer

After IM2 shouldn't the OW for IM3 gone down? 

Way down?

Look like the Avenger's effect and IM2's effect canceled each other out to some degree in the US.

Or maybe expecting an opening close to Avengers was always illogical.

I really don't understand how anyone could think it would open on par to Avengers in NA.  I'll admit I was very wrong about it overseas, but here in NA we don't go apeshit over 3D, which is also helping out the international gross.

• Like 1

After IM2 shouldn't the OW for IM3 gone down? 

Way down?

Look like the Avenger's effect and IM2's effect canceled each other out to some degree in the US.

Or maybe expecting an opening close to Avengers was always illogical.

At the moment, in terms of admissions, this isn't increasing that much from IM2's opening. Not like it has done OS.

• Like 1

The thing about this film is that no matter what it does, whether it is 140 or 160 OW, those are FUCKING HUGE NUMBERS.  This is what some of us are forgetting.  These are numbers that a handful of films have done.  I know we are the nerds that want it do hugely stupid numbers, but these are hugely huge numbers.  We have to remember that.

Dude, it might only get the 3rd or 4th biggest all time OW.

Flop

Dude, it might only get the 3rd or 4th biggest all time OW.

Flop

This is not flop territory. Flop would be 155-165M. This is going under 150M. BOMB.

Very true but it still looks like it will beat that #, for a third entry that is impressive. No other way to put it.

Agreed, especially since IM2 sucked. TA definitely helped overcome a possible drop from IM2's adjusted (for 3D/inflation) opening. Still though, if this comes in under $60m today it's going to cause a meltdown here. That would be two meltdowns in this community for Iron Man movies caused by over-inflated expectations.

I think one of the reasons this film is getting mixed WOM is that the plot is about as silly as The Transformers 2 plot.  

• Like 1

I really don't understand how anyone could think it would open on par to Avengers in NA. I'll admit I was very wrong about it overseas, but here in NA we don't go apeshit over 3D, which is also helping out the international gross.

We did for one movie post Avatar, it's called crappy Tim Burton AIW