Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

LOL 58-64m with previews. my 145m is looking pretty good.

Can it drop a bit more to get to 139.9? :)

You know I am not a Potter fan, but to dismiss what it did simply because we expected it to do it, is not fair.  Potter only has so many fans and they all came out in droves to make the film a huge success.  

Of course. That being said, it really was astonishingly front-loaded.

• Like 1

I think TDK is still my favorite call. TA broke out, but no one predicted that. Coming from where the franchise was in the late 90s, from BB to jump to OW record is huge. Plus back in December when the club started hardly anyone believed in 100m let alone record. Plus that's 2D.

The Spidey vs Pirates fights were priceless, too.  

TDK is still the most shocking performance for me. Batman Begins is still the best superhero movie, but TDK's success felt like justification to me for the fact that sooooooo many people didn't even give BB a chance until long after it left theaters. That movie just didn't get a fair shake from the public, but I'm glad its sequels were very successful.

I was absolutely stunned to see that the Batman franchise still had the potential to be phenom-level big. Didn't think it was possible after such a great movie like BB only made $205m domestic and $370m worldwide. The other shocking thing is that the marketing for TDK made no bones about the fact that this wasn't some kiddie romp. This wasn't PIXAR or Shrek. It was a dark action movie and they were pretty upfront about it in the marketing. Yet people still came in droves. The Ledger effect obviously. But whatever their reasons for showing up, I'm glad they did because a lot of them have given BB more of a chance on home video as a result.

• Like 2

I have faith in America's taste. However huge Friday's going to be, surely this mess of a film called IM3 can't top TH or TDKR, I think it's going to be fighting for 150m come Monday actuals. WoM should be kicking in. Estimates will be 152m.

WOM is not great.  It's not bad, but its definitely mixed.

58m would mean IM3 is below IM2's Friday business. HUH

Posted Image

What the fuck? This is ridiculous. I demand refined numbers and some explanation for this disaster!

Posted Image

Of course. That being said, it really was astonishingly front-loaded.

Yes, but you are talking to a Twi-loonie here.....it invented frontloading.  :)

• Like 1