Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

Unlike tonight with a trillion screenings of IM3, there's bound to be lots of sellouts that will force people to buy a ticket for Star Trek or Iron Man or something else instead.

I've never bought this. Movies are expensive. Most people go to theater with what they want to see already in mind. If the showtime is sold out, they usually just wait. I don't know people that are going to go to the theater anticipating F6 or TH3, then it gets sold out and they go "oh well, why not Star Trek?". I think more people are likely to just leave. "Well that x dollars I don't have to spend". Memorial weekend will be high profile, and Memorial weekend is also a family holiday. People aren't going to the movies unless they're set on something, and I'd expect them to see what they came for, even if they have to wait 45 more minutes, heck you've waited 2-3 years.

Edited by jandrew

TA was ridic but it was nothing compared to the Potter midnights

And with these 9PM previews I doubt anything will ever come close again

I never thought I'd see a 200m OW for years to come. That was far more impressive to me than any midnight number. And everyone knew DH2 would shatter the midnight record so it's not like it was a surprise. Almost no one knew TA would even get anywhere near 200 OW.

• Like 2

Potter's midnights were INSANE. I really hope we get to experience something like that again BO-wise

Star Wars Episode 7 :P

But, man the DH2 midnights were so insane, that the line went all the way into our town!

Edited by BoxOfficeZ

I've never bought this. Movies are expensive. Most people go to theater with what they want to see already in mind. If the showtime is sold out, they usually just wait. I don't people are going to go to the theater anticipating F6 or TH3, then it gets sold out and they go "oh well, why not Star Trek?". I think more people are likely to just leave. "Well that x dollars I don't have to spend". Memorial weekend will be high profile, and Memorial weekend is also a family holiday. People aren't going to the movies unless they're set on something, and I'd expect them to see what they came for, even if they have to wait 45 more minutes, heck you've waited 2-3 years.

No, I think quite often people don't want to wait another 2 hours or whatever for the next available show. They'll catch an alternative choice and then try to see the first movie at a later date -- unless they're hardcore fans.

Star Wars 7 might do the trick. If Abrams does to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek, the hype will be insane.

I mean, I don't know. It'll be huge, but it'll probably be spread out over a weekend like TA or TDK.

Potter wasn't just everyone rushing to see a movie on the same day or weekend. Everyone was rushing to see the same movie at the same time :lol: The lines were mindboggling

• Like 1

The return of Luke, Han and Leia alone will ensure that.

Yes, that will be a big deal. But just imagine a trailer as good as the ST09 trailer (one of the best ever) mixed with 95% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes leading up to the film's release. If you mix that with the fact Star Wars has the biggest fanbase of any franchise, that would give it a decent chance to beat Potter's midnight number.

• Like 2

I wish my posts were worshiped like Rth's. :drool:

65m would mean 165m if IM3 follows TA's pattern. Which, considering IM2's 2.4 IM from OW would put IM3 squarely in the sights of 400.

All is right with the world. Carry on...

• Like 1

I mean, I don't know. It'll be huge, but it'll probably be spread out over a weekend like TA or TDK.

Potter wasn't just everyone rushing to see a movie on the same day or weekend. Everyone was rushing to see the same movie at the same time :lol: The lines were mindboggling

It seems like the most likely candidate to take the 3-day from The Avengers.

Yes, that will be a big deal. But just imagine a trailer as good as the ST09 trailer (one of the best ever) mixed with 95% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes leading up to the film's release. If you mix that with the fact Star Wars has the biggest fanbase of any franchise, that would give it a decent chance to beat Potter's midnight number.

Only thing that could even come close to stopping it in that scenario would be 9pm showings.

I wish my posts were worshiped like Rth's. :drool:

65m would mean 165m if IM3 follows TA's pattern. Which, considering IM2's 2.4 IM from OW would put IM3 squarely in the sights of 400.

All is right with the world. Carry on...

:worthy:

• Like 1

But SW's fanbase isn't just teens/20 somethings who would watch a movie at midnight. It's older adults and kids and everything in between.

Potter was just such a singular phenomenon - a huge, sprawling fanbase that mostly fit into that very specific age range who were manic about seeing the movie right away

Only thing that could even come close to stopping it in that scenario would be 9pm showings.

You might as well put an asterisk on HP8's midnight record, then, cuz it's never getting passed (in terms of true midnights). Evening previews are here to stay and will eventually surpass HP8's $43.8m, and then that movie will have the record, since 9pms and midnights are combined.