kayumanggi

BIG HERO 6 | 435.3 M overseas | 657.8 M worldwide

well I've been thinking about it lately and the "Asian" theme BH6 has could actually work against the Korean market since there has been a strong accusation some of the artworks were influenced by the Rising Sun flag (it's like the Japanese empire's equivalent to the Nazi's swastika flag) and because of the complicated historical backgrounds of the colonial past, it has created some negative responds around some Koreans online. Even the fact that it is manga/Japanese culture based can have some bad influences over the GA of Korea. Manga and Japanese culture are only considered popular as sub-culture stuff and anything Japanese in the Korean mainstream culture is not free from being stigmatized by the public. One of the common reactions I could find online was going all like "How dare could Disney insensitively make such a movie about Japan after we Koreans all loved Frozen so much", which, doesn't seem to make sense cause Frozen was like twice more popular in Japan, but still. 

However, its main target audience is kids and once it opens such accusations would be cleared I'm pretty sure. 

Besides, the fact that the Korean-American actor Daniel Henney did the voice work would be helpful in a way to generate some buzz among the adult crowds (mostly among the straight couples in their 20s and 30s - aka the core audience)

And lastly it doesn't seem to have that many competitions in late January when it opens. 

Hopefully it does at least over $15M, and possibly $20M.

I can understand why China and Japan hate each other, but Japan and Korea? It was a long time ago and these countries are both democratic and modern, with a similar cultures, English words in their languages, both great allies of the United States, both Asian and the same economic structure and the same demographic problems...it's preposterous.

I hope for great BH6 numbers.

I can understand why China and Japan hate each other, but Japan and Korea? It was a long time ago and these countries are both democratic and modern, with a similar cultures, English words in their languages, both great allies of the United States, both Asian and the same economic structure and the same demographic problems...it's preposterous.

I hope for great BH6 numbers.

it's something very ambivalent what Korea and Japan have between each other. Most of the Koreans feel the Japanese government has never been truly apologetic about some terrible stuff Japan has done to Korea during the 40 years of the colonial era unlike Germany, like how Japan still officially denies there were any sex slaves and their history textbooks try to cover up the facts and so on. Lots of problems from the colonial times are not cleared yet unlike post-WW2 Europe since Korea was kinda too busy growing up economically and true democracy was only obtained in the 80s'. Without understanding all this Japanese people would just see that as Koreans being whiny and unforgiving. Meanwhile Korea and Japan are strong allies in the region politically, economically and everything and just everyday people in Korea and Japan get along pretty well, but also have very intense rivalry thing going on. It's a very sensitive matter, I guess. 

At least Korean marketing team is doing a great job, focusing on the fact that it's from the creative force from Disney who made Frozen. 

I also hope good numbers and this proves Frozen wasn't just a one time luck thing for Disney in the Korean box office and truly reclaims its status from the 90s'.

Edited by yjs
  • Like 4

it's something very ambivalent what Korea and Japan have between each other. Most of the Koreans feel the Japanese government has never been truly apologetic about some terrible stuff Japan has done to Korea during the 40 years of the colonial era unlike Germany, like how Japan still officially denies there were any sex slaves and their history textbooks try to cover up the facts and so on. Lots of problems from the colonial times are not cleared yet unlike post-WW2 Europe since Korea was kinda too busy growing up economically and true democracy was only obtained in the 80s'. Without understanding all this Japanese people would just see that as Koreans being whiny and unforgiving. Meanwhile Korea and Japan are strong allies in the region politically, economically and everything and just everyday people in Korea and Japan get along pretty well, but also have very intense rivalry thing going on. It's a very sensitive matter, I guess. 

At least Korean marketing team is doing a great job, focusing on the fact that it's from the creative force from Disney who made Frozen. 

I also hope good numbers and this proves Frozen wasn't just a one time luck thing for Disney in the Korean box office and truly reclaims its status from the 90s'.

I agree with this. I think the Korean people deserve some blame too though. One thing I think the Jewish people did extremely well post WW2 was to document and archive all the atrocities committed against their people and making them known throughout the world through mediums such as books, essays and even films. As a result we live in a world where the holocaust is known by school children of all nations. We Koreans missed that opportunity and no one really cares much now about what happened between our countries. One can hardly blame them for that either, since in even in Korea history is a topic that is increasingly shunned at school for more "useful" topics such as maths and english. 

• Like 1

Big Hero 6 opened in Thailand this past weekend with $1.3 million, the biggest opening ever for an animated film released by Disney (WDAS/Pixar). It has already surpassed the lifetime runs of Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled. Hopefully its impressive runs in the minor Asian markets (best Disney-released animated film in Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam) will be replicated in the bigger ones - China, Japan and South Korea - as well as all around the globe.

http://deadline.com/2014/12/exodus-gods-and-kings-interstellar-mockingjay-paddington-international-box-office-results-1201313759/

Analysis/Predictions: If BH6 follows Wreck-It Ralph's trajectory from now on in North America, it will earn $214 million there. So it will need $405 million overseas in order to surpass How to Train Your Dragon 2 and claim the title of the biggest animated film of 2014 in worldwide grosses. That is of course an optimistic prediction. Tangled made $391 million overseas on the strength of European markets, to which BH6 may be less appealing. Hopefully, Asia - including Japan - and Latin America will compensate. There is defnitely evidence that they might, but no one can say for sure.

Edited by Quigley
  • Like 4

Big Hero 6 brought in $3.9m in a period of calm before the animation arrives in a slew of major new markets in the coming month.

The weekend performance, fuelled by debuts in Argentina, Uruguay, Venezuela, Hong Kong and Iceland, pushed the running total to $68.2m from 32 territories.

Thus far the film stands at $20.1m in Russia, $15.2m in Mexico, $5.7m in Malaysia, $4.4m in the Philippines and $3.7m in Singapore. It has become after two weeks the biggest Disney or Pixar release ever in Thailand and already holds that distinction in Malaysia, Vietnam, the Philippines and Indonesia. It is the second biggest in Russia behind Frozen.

Big Hero 6opens in Brazil on December 25, Australia on December 26, Germany and South Korea on January 22, the UK on January 30 and France on February 11.

• Like 5

If BH6 does not manage huge numbers OS, there will be no animated movie in the top 10 WW this year for the first time ever.

Since 2006 there were at least 2 animated movies in the top 10 each year.

No world wide appealing am this year: some don't like fighting vikings, others are agains Batman puppets or hugable robots, or colorful birds, no prinzess movie.

• Like 2

From screendaily int: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International opens Big Hero 6 in Japan, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland and Hong Kong.

The animation has reached $70m from the relatively early stages of release.

• Like 3

If BH6 does not manage huge numbers OS, there will be no animated movie in the top 10 WW this year for the first time ever.

Since 2006 there were at least 2 animated movies in the top 10 each year.

No world wide appealing am this year: some don't like fighting vikings, others are agains Batman puppets or hugable robots, or colorful birds, no prinzess movie.

I have faith, even if Japan could disappoint a bit because of "cough" Yokai Watch "cough"

REVIEW FROM THE JAPAN TIMES

Big%2BHero%2B6%2BJapanese%2BPoster.jpg

Disney’s ‘Big Hero 6′ reassembles Japan without the ‘cultural cringe’ by Kaori Shoji

So we’ve all heard that it’s hard to be a woman in Japan, but being a Japanese geek comes with its own troubles. For some, it’s a life lived in front of glowing screens, a dateless existence spent in a six-mat tatami room with posters of idol group AKB48 plastered on the walls. But here’s Disney’s “Big Hero 6″ (released in Japan as “Baymax”), a Christmas animation extravaganza that elevates the Japanese geek to superhero status. And he’s cute, too.

This is the first Disney animation feature in which the stars have Japanese names: 14-year-old genius Hiro Hamada (voiced by Ryan Potter) and his older tech-wizard brother Tadashi (Daniel Henney). The boys’ parents died, and they are being brought up by their exuberant Aunt Cass (Maya Rudolph). Interestingly, Hiro comes off as a cross between a typical Tokyo chūbō (a slang term for junior high school kids) and a young Lionel Messi, while Tadashi fits the normal Hollywood bill of a polite young Japanese male. Despite their names, the brothers only speak English and there’s nothing in their surroundings to suggest a penchant for samurai or idols — they are, however, obsessed with robots. Aunt Cass, who runs a cafe and seems to have at least three different nationalities coursing through her veins, never serves Japanese food to her nephews, just ribs. Ribs every time.

MORE HERE : http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2014/12/17/films/disneys-big-hero-6-reassembles-japan-without-cultural-cringe/#.VJaFMv8HYA

It's good to have a Japanese opinion here, and they sure like it :)

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 3

430694.jpg

BRAZILIAN REVIEW FROM ADOROCINEMA

O mundo é dos nerds

Ah, o século XXI... Época gloriosa para os nerds, com seus ídolos não apenas ganhando as telonas mas eles próprios sendo alçados ao posto de heróis, por mais que às vezes sejam ocasionais. É o que acontece em Operação Big Hero, nova animação da Walt Disney Pictures que, pela primeira vez, explora personagens da filial Marvel Comics. Os escolhidos são os (ainda) pouco conhecidos Big Hero 6, supergrupo de heróis inspirados no mangá japonês que, neste longa-metragem, ganham uma boa americanizada.

http://www.adorocinema.com/filmes/filme-209529/criticas-adorocinema/

MARK : 4/5

Good to see they like it, I expect good numbers in Brazil next week :)

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

Ralph wasn't released in China right? That plus the Japanese gross is the big edge of this over Ralph's OS grosses. It currently is pacing slightly ahead of Wreck-it Ralph in most markets, except Southeast Asia (where Baymax became a HUGE hit). If China and Japan cooperates, Big Hero 6 might go to 350-370M OS. Hopefully it goes more and breaks out in a few markets, although I wouldn't bet on it.

I want this to be the number 1 animated film of the year, BADLY.

Edited by Dingdong123
  • Like 2