babz06

Cars 3 | 6.16.2017 | Trailer Page 14

On 6/17/2017 at 4:07 PM, Zakiyyah6 said:

You want some barbecue sauce for that hat?

I really thought it would do better. Even the original Cars opened over $60M 11 years ago without 3D. The fact that this couldn't even crack $55M is a failure in my eyes.

I'll have my hat and my crow with some barbecue sauce, thank you very much.

• Like 1

Cars 2 had Independence Day in its 2nd weekend to soften its weekend drop. Still dropped over 60%.

Cars 3 won't, so it will definitely have an over a 60% second weekend drop.

Hopefully not, at the moment it looks to do better.

1 hour ago, superduperm said:

I really thought it would do better. Even the original Cars opened over $60M 11 years ago without 3D. The fact that this couldn't even crack $55M is a failure in my eyes.

It's kinda funny that ultimately this is performing pretty much how everyone expected it to when it was first announced, before expectations were raised by the "dark/edgy" teaser. Turns out it's still a mediocre franchise wearing out its welcome

• Like 2

4 hours ago, superduperm said:

That happens when the sequel does not generate any goodwill for the franchise. And people see it as a more of a kiddle mercandice series now than back with first Cars when it had more an image of being about racing and Route 66 that was just a bit more kiddle than usual Pixar films.

On 6/25/2017 at 8:34 PM, ThomasNicole said:

This probably will gross $ 500m, right?

I'm thinking $ 160-170m in USA, $ 40-50m in China [i can't see this doing less than Dory], $ 290 OS - China.

$400M doesn't look likely at all. I'm predicting it to miss it. I guess it doesn't matter because of toy sales.

It may not "matter" in the sense that Pixar will still be running, but there has to be a point where theatrical big budget movie releases aren't the most cost effective manner of maintaining the revenue stream. Plenty of toy product lines do just fine without them.

Edited by tribefan695

I'm surprised they seem to have scrapped those shorts. Disney  Channel has Lego Frozen Adventures or whatever on top of constantly making theatrical shorts..... but Pixar never had their movies be shows, except Buzz Lightyear of Star Command twenty years ago.