babz06

Cars 3 | 6.16.2017 | Trailer Page 14

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

That's BlueSky who made Robots, though.

Same company who made their big animated franchises like the Ice Age-films & the Rio-films...and even films like The Peanuts Movie, Epic & Horton.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Does anyone know what the budget is? 

Don't know but usual Pixar these days is 175+. Also Cars3 has uber gorgeous animation and they know the merchendizing mullah in store for this and potential sequels if Cars3 is a couple of steps up from Cars2. So they must have gone all in.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

is this open on this coming weekend?? I've never felt this kind of buzzless for an pixar film, even good dino had more buzz

I'm not sure about that, TGD was basically as low as you could go in terms of buzz for a Pixar film. Plenty of kids love the Cars franchise. 

• Like 1

With 42 reviews in now, it is looking like Cars 3 will end up "fresh", even if not enthusiastically so (though some of the reviews read as if this is the best of the Cars series). I can't imagine that anyone expected this to join the 90+% class of Pixar films. It is the third entry in a series that feels like it has run its course, particularly after the second film, though of course it does have its passionate fans.

Cars 2 will remain, then, the only Pixar film to have a "rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the only real stinker when it comes to critical reception.

Looking at Pixar films' critical reception and multipliers (listed below), I am tempted to say that I think Cars 3 is probably/maybe looking at a 3 multiplier, at least, from whatever it opens with, given that Cars 2 is the only Pixar film to have a sub 3 multiplier. (Though I should qualify that by adding that The Good Dinosaur would more than likely have a sub 3 multiplier as well if it had opened on a Friday, but it is always hard to directly compare with a Wednesday opener).

But then again, I think Cars 3 is the first Cars film to open on Father's Day weekend, which will inflate its opening Sunday. This could mean it misses out on a 3 multiplier. It could end up depending on audience reception. There could potentially be a more enthusiastic response from general audiences/fans if it is regarded as a return to form compared to Cars 2. I don't know. I'm in somewhat of a blind spot when it comes to the Cars series - I don't know how general audiences actually regard those movies. Critics were clearly somewhat tepid on it from the first film/get-go.

Pixar Movie RT Scores and Multipliers

90%+ RT Score Class

Toy Story — 100% (9.0 rating) — 6.58 (using 3-day), 4.91 (using 5-day)

Toy Story 2 — 100% (8.6 rating) — 4.28 (using first wide weekend)

Toy Story 3 — 99% (8.9 rating) — 3.76

Finding Nemo — 99% (8.7 rating) — 4.83

Inside Out — 98% (8.9 rating) — 3.94

Up — 98% (8.7 rating) — 4.30

The Incredibles — 97% (8.3 rating) — 3.71

Wall-E — 96% (8.5 rating) — 3.55

Ratatouille — 96% (8.4 rating) — 4.39

Monsters, Inc — 96% (8.0 rating) — 4.09

Finding Dory — 94% (7.6 rating) — 3.60

A Bug’s Life — 92% (7.9 rating) — 4.89 (using 3-day wide weekend), 3.56 (using 5-day wide)

The ‘Other’ Pixar Movies

Brave — 78% (7.0 rating) — 3.58

Monsters University — 78% (6.8 rating) — 3.26

The Good Dinosaur — 77% (6.6 rating) — 3.14 (using 3-day), 2.22 (using 5-day)

Cars — 74% (6.9 rating) — 4.06

Cars 3 — 67% (6.5 rating) — TBD

Cars 2 — 39% (5.5 rating) — 2.89

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1