CaptainJackSparrow

Boss Baby | March 31, 2017 | Dreamworks Animation

Sad thing is this might still be the best reviewed kids film for the next two months

I wasn't aware there WERE any kids films in the next two months.

No real animation competition for certain until June. Good chance at getting close to HOME's $177m now.

Boy, did DWA get lucky with the release date for Boss Baby. This is another movie belongs in the "release date saves a movie" category.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

I wish they had swapped the release schedule by releasing Boss Baby in November 2016 and Trolls in March 2017 so it would've been a more deserved nominee. Dreamworks does good things, and I'm happy that they're recognized for the first time in three years. But I'm not happy that they're nominated for this.

Dreamworks films from the A-teams that handle How To Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda should be more recognized then films from the random B-team (or even C or D team) that likely handled low-concept stuff like Monsters Vs. Aliens and MegaMind.

So yes, I'm sad, because this nomination represents the tepid, lowbrow side of Dreamworks, not the creative and innovate side we know they have.

On 2017-03-31 at 7:17 PM, Jonwo said:

DWA are capable of good films but I worry that under Comcast, it's going to be a shadow of its former self. 

We're not harsh on DWA, they need to make better films.

Well, sadly.....having DWA making better films may not be enough for the box office at times.

Hell, most of us thought Panda 3 would be a much larger hit than expected because of the advantages it had:

Goodwill from the previous KFP-films.

The ending from KFP2 raised curiousity for fans.

It was the only big animated film of January, no less.

It had great reception at RT (still has)

And also.....China. Freaking China! The one market where some blockbusters nowadays can do large numbers.

And yet...despite all these advantages it had....it ended up the lowest grossing movie of the franchise, overall...with just $521M WW. Which isn’t that bad....but considering our very high predictions, it ended up being the underperformer.

So it’s a rollercoaster, box office wise...when it comes to predicting Dreamworks-films. Some do better than expected (Croods, Home, Trolls & The Boss Baby) , others do worse than expected (Rise of the Guardians, Turbo, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Penguins of Madagascar & Captain Underpants).

Some just aren’t massive moneymakers despite great quality.

The next DWA film is HTTYD3, coming out next year in March. And that film better do better at the box office than KFP3. I just hope it doesn’t underperform that harshly.

On 2014-11-11 at 4:36 AM, Fancyarcher said:

Sounds like another flop for Dreamworks. 

On 2016-06-18 at 1:23 AM, Ethan Hunt said:

Then title of this movie makes me feel uncomfortable

On 2016-10-17 at 5:06 PM, theultimatebiu said:

That was.

giphy.gif

On 2016-10-18 at 4:35 AM, Gokira2012 said:

$30,000,000 OW

$120,000,000 DOM

$260,000,000 WW

On 2016-10-18 at 8:28 PM, cannastop said:

This is going to be another Turbo.

On 2016-10-21 at 7:18 PM, Krissykins said:

Trailer is laugh-free.

On 2016-10-21 at 8:27 PM, DAJK said:

Bleh

On 2016-12-15 at 2:56 PM, kayumanggi said:

I hate the look of most DW animated movies and this one is no exception. Disney and Pixar are so far ahead when it comes to the visuals department.

On 2016-12-19 at 1:30 PM, Mojoguy said:

I saw the new trailer with Rogue One.

This movie looks like direct to video bad. Sad how far DWA has fallen...

On 2017-01-23 at 4:20 PM, Incarnadine said:

I still think this looks bad, although I admit my perception is likely tainted by the fact this got greenlit and Croods 2 got axed It was one of their bigger surprise hits and the 2 leads are both peaking in their careers after LLL and Deadpool. Grrr. angry_smiley.gif

On 2017-03-04 at 7:23 PM, kayumanggi said:

I saw the trailer attached to LOGAN and it looked BAD. It was obvious this didn't get the KFP or HTTYD treatment.

Lol at those who thought this was gonna be Dreamworks’s next box office flop after Turbo, Penguins. 😆

A good lesson needs to be learned: Never underestimate Dreamworks, no matter what.

9 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Lol at those who thought this was gonna be Dreamworks’s next box office flop after Turbo, Penguins. 😆

A good lesson needs to be learned: Never underestimate Dreamworks, no matter what.

Where in my quoted post did I say this would flop? You are obsessed with this one huh? And what do you mean never underestimate Dreamworks? They have been underperforming for years. Even Illumination is destroying their releases.

These are the 10 biggest computer animated films for the last few years. No THE BOSS BABY. NO Dreamworks.

1159.4 M MINIONS

1034.8 M DESPICABLE ME III

1028.6 M FINDING DORY

1023.8 M ZOOTOPIA

0875.5 M THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS

0857.6 M INSIDE OUT

0744.9 M COCO (still in release)

0657.8 M BIG HERO 6

0643.3 M MOANA

0634.2 M SING

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

Where in my quoted post did I say this would flop?

Um...you said the trailer looked bad. That always equals a certain thinking that a movie won’t be a crowdpleaser. See the posts of the upcoming Pacific Rim-sequel: that’s an example of how negative a buzz can determine the box office at pre-release.

You are obsessed with this one huh?

Well, your obsession with current Disney/Pixar-films is no different. Nothing against them since i love most of their films...it’s just that’s the only companies you care about. 😒 Even Illumination-films have their dislikers.

And what do you mean never underestimate Dreamworks? They have been underperforming for years. Even Illumination is destroying their releases.

That’s because the WW-audience didn’t even bother to see them enough to be profitable, no matter how good their films were (cough, Panda 3, cough). The apathy was harshly high during their period with ”20th Century Fox”. Also, for every underperformer....there’s an overperformer. This, Home & Trolls were good performers.

These are the 10 biggest computer animated films for the last few years. No THE BOSS BABY. NO Dreamworks.

1159.4 M MINIONS

1034.8 M DESPICABLE ME III

1028.6 M FINDING DORY

1023.8 M ZOOTOPIA

0875.5 M THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS

0857.6 M INSIDE OUT

0744.9 M COCO (still in release)

0657.8 M BIG HERO 6

0643.3 M MOANA

0634.2 M SING

1. I know it already and i’m aware of it. 🙄

2. It’s not my problem that so little crap is given to some Dreamworks-films and their box office track record is shaky and their marketing monkeys at Fox.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

On 3/6/2018 at 6:33 PM, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Um...you said the trailer looked bad. That always equals a certain thinking that a movie won’t be a crowdpleaser. See the posts of the upcoming Pacific Rim-sequel: that’s an example of how negative a buzz can determine the box office at pre-release.

Well, your obsession with current Disney/Pixar-films is no different. Nothing against them since i love most of their films...it’s just that’s the only companies you care about. 😒 Even Illumination-films have their dislikers.

That’s because the WW-audience didn’t even bother to see them enough to be profitable, no matter how good their films were (cough, Panda 3, cough). The apathy was harshly high during their period with ”20th Century Fox”. Also, for every underperformer....there’s an overperformer. This, Home & Trolls were good performers.

1. I know it already and i’m aware of it. 🙄

2. It’s not my problem that so little crap is given to some Dreamworks-films and their box office track record is shaky and their marketing monkeys at Fox.

I said the trailer looked bad. But should that equate to the film being a flop? You surely love to assume things.

I enjoy great computer animated films regardless of what studios make them.

If you know and are aware of it, what "Never underestimate Dreamworks, no matter what." were you talking about?

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I said the trailer looked bad. But should that equate to the film being a flop? You surely love to assume things.

I enjoy great computer animated films regardless of what studios make them.

If you know and are aware of it, what "Never underestimate Dreamworks, no matter what." were you talking about?

Well, you love to assume that you are much wiser than what you actually is. Like assuming you want to be right at the last minute.

Ok, if you want an answer: I’ll tell ya. I’m talking about the fact that......I’m sensing a continuing pattern when it comes to more recent Dreamworks originals. Home, Trolls, The Boss Baby. Folks here thought those films would have no appeal enough to be profitable and would continue the trend of the Dreamworks-floppage.

Though....ok, i meant actually: Never underestimate SOME Dreamworks-films. Those three afore-mentioned ones were the ”some”-films. 

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • ...wtf 1