CaptainJackSparrow

Boss Baby | March 31, 2017 | Dreamworks Animation

Just now, LateReg said:

Why are there so few reviews, and why is the embargo lifted so early? Did it play somewhere or SXSW or overseas or something?

Animated films tend to have earlier embargoes but most wait until the week of release.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Oh. I hope CU is better.

Me too. I never read Smekday but I do have some of the earlier Dragons books and DW actually made it a lot more serious and less goofy. they seem know CU's audience and won't do this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Me too. I never read Smekday but I do have some of the earlier Dragons books and DW actually made it a lot more serious and less goofy. they seem know CU's audience and won't do this.

They can fling poop, pee, and gross out jokes for CU, since it's always been a vital part of the series DNA, however in order for CU to be great they need to capture the charm, wit and heart the books had.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

So, KFP trilogy, HTTYD1 and 2, Shrek 1 and 2, Mr Peabody, Madagascar 3, Prince of Egypt, Chicken Run, Wallace and Gromit, and to a lesser extent Megamind are mediocre. I meant more mediocre than their 04'-08' era and recently. But thanks to Universal owning them they can make bank again.

You can't take your favorite Dreamworks films and say that average of those is above mediocre. Sinbad, Shrek 3 and 4, Shark Tale, Monsters VS Aliens and Turbo bring down the average down quite a bit and then there is plenty of actually mediocre films that are in neither list. And like cannastop said, some of those you mentioned are mediocre too. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chinoiserie said:

You can't take your favorite Dreamworks films and say that average of those is above mediocre. Sinbad, Shrek 3 and 4, Shark Tale, Monsters VS Aliens and Turbo bring down the average down quite a bit and then there is plenty of actually mediocre films that are in neither list. And like cannastop said, some of those you mentioned are mediocre too. 

While I don't think that Dreamworks is at the level of quality of Disney, Pixar, Laika, or even WAG, but it definitely beats Blue Sky, SPA, Paramount Animation, and Illumination. Dreamworks have had their highs and lows like every animation studio, but in my opinion while not great/amazing they're good or slightly above average.

• Like 1

As you would guess it, Alec Baldwin’s voice performance is the driving force of the movie. No, it is not as unique as Baldwin voicing a Russian Santa Claus in Rise of the Guardians, but his delivery on his dialogue that works. With Baldwin’s voice interacting with Miles Bakshi (who oddly got his start voicing one of the Shrek babies), the jokes really write themselves. It's conceptually hysterical having an adult voice coming out an adorable baby (this is why everyone’s favorite Family Guy character is Stewie) so Baldwin’s voice is the perfect fit for the film. 

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//the-boss-baby-review

On 3/13/2017 at 3:42 PM, Arlborn said:

Dreamworks gave us Shrek and How To Train Your Dragon. As long as they nail the sequels of these 2 I will forever forgive them for any other mediocre movies.

Kung Fu Panda doesn't even get mentioned :sadben:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yeesh, is this a new rock bottom for Dreamworks? Reviews so far are bordering on the level of cheap foreign Weinstein pickups

Remember Home started off like this and ended with 53% on RT.

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

5.3 isn't exactly sterling, though tbf it was a box office success.

The trailer with my screening at BATB was received pretty well, so I don't know. I certainly hope Dreamworks isn't rewarded for making a crappy film.

It happened with Home, it'll probably happen with Boss Baby. Captain Underpants, surprisingly seems like a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2017 at 8:42 PM, Arlborn said:

Dreamworks gave us Shrek and How To Train Your Dragon. As long as they nail the sequels of these 2 I will forever forgive them for any other mediocre movies.

How to Train Your Dragon :wub:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'm surprised we didn't get this in front of Power Rangers, but yeeeeeeeeeesh DW. It's got time to rise, but score wise right now, would this be their lowest movie?

Yes. Shark Tale is their lowest at 35%.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'm surprised we didn't get this in front of Power Rangers, but yeeeeeeeeeesh DW. It's got time to rise, but score wise right now, would this be their lowest movie?

They'll atone for this next year with How To Train Your Dragon 3 :shades: At least I hope so :ph34r: