Olive

Release Dates Discussion | Avengers Endgame 2019

8 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Do we know what kind of competition it will face yet?

Nothing significant. Biggest threat is Ip Man 3 but it will be out 3 weeks before on March 4th. Skiptrace TBC might be delayed. The Bodyguard(Sammo Hung Andy Lau) on 1st April but BVS will kill it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Nothing significant. Biggest threat is Ip Man 3 but it will be out 3 weeks before on March 4th. Skiptrace TBC might be delayed. The Bodyguard(Sammo Hung Andy Lau) on 1st April but BVS will kill it.

What should we expect for BvS, about TFA numbers maybe?

3 minutes ago, peludo said:

My own not so educated guess is TFA numbers as a floor. I know DC doesn't have the same following as Marvel films but the WB marketing plus the lack of competition in a quieter period gives it a big chance.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, peludo said:

March traditionally is weak month for movies, but start of April it gets better. Qing Ming festival last year had many movies earning quite a lot. But the growth of Chinese Market and theaters is able to make a traditionally weak month in 2016 on par with a good month in 2015 in terms of total monthly gross. I personally would prefer that WB not lobby for Day and date release as US on March 25th, if it opens on April 1st will be great as it opens on QingMing weekend, with good opening, screens and theaters will remain high for almost the whole month. Some might disagree though.

While there is no doubt that DC superheroes are not as well known as the Marvel Brand in China, but BVS might change that since the release date is not bad at all. 

The best part I feel is that this is announced quite early, almost a full 2months and WB can tap on huge marketing campaigns. While there are many Chinese films' release date TBC in March or April and this announcement will make them shift their release date to avoid going head on with WB. A win-win situation really.   

When the Dark Knight Rises open, the release date was made just a couple of weeks prior to release and it went head on with Amazing Spiderman. While Amazing Spiderman had 3D and advantage of ticket prices and even higher opening numbers, Dark Knight Rises' quality and WOM pull through and it beat Amazing Spiderman in China(although not significantly). And don't forget TDK did not even screen in China theaters. Now with 2months for WB to market and local films to "escape", lol, things are good.

I would expect TFA numbers or better. April 1st has a few films, with The Bodyguard leading, there is also Hotpot Hero(Chen Kun), other movies are not that significant. You can see the list here: http://www.gewara.com/movie/futureMovie.xhtml?pageNo=3

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

April 1st has a few films, with The Bodyguard leading, there is also Hotpot Hero(Chen Kun), other movies are not that significant. You can see the list here: http://www.gewara.com/movie/futureMovie.xhtml?pageNo=3

No, The Bodyguard isn't the leader. Hot Pot Hero will be the biggest movie in Qingming holiday. B Vs S probably wins TB but won't top Hot Pot Hero. Qingming this year should be big.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

No, The Bodyguard isn't the leader. Hot Pot Hero will be the biggest movie in Qingming holiday. B Vs S probably wins TB but won't top Hot Pot Hero. Qingming this year should be big.

True true. It may be subjective since some can argue that Sammo Hung and Andy Lau is a bigger threat, and since Qing Ming last year was also led by an action film underdog Wolf Warriors.. 

Yeah this Qing Ming will be exciting, if BvS does well and have good WOM, there is still chance it leads the Qing Ming Holiday.

• Like 2

On Saturday, February 06, 2016 at 7:45 PM, keysersoze123 said:

With this release date any number below 1B would be a disappointment. Just need couple of trailers with big explosions. China know Batman for sure.

Nah, 135-150M would be a success in my book. 

TDKR did 350m Yuan in 2012 and Man of Steel 394m in 2013. I would be fine with a bit more than doubling MoS figures, with a 800-900 million range. Anything more would already be, IMHO, a well-received extra. I prefer to be cautious seeing how last franchise films have not made absurd figures (Spectre, TFA, KFP3...)

Edited by peludo

1 hour ago, peludo said:

TDKR did 350m Yuan in 2012 and Man of Steel 394m in 2013. I would be fine with a bit more than doubling MoS figures, with a 800-900 million range. Anything more would already be, IMHO, a well-received extra. I prefer to be cautious seeing how last franchise films have not made absurd figures (Spectre, TFA, KFP3...)

TDKR had horrible release date. Released in September on the same day as TASM. Plus Prometheus and Expendables 2 released few days after that. So its potential was not met. BvS seem to have a great release date(day and date with domestic on good friday with weak competition). That is why I think 1B+ should happen.