Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

203 posts in this topic

You know the drill, picture now, other categories later. Predict, laugh one year from now at our bad predictions ;)

Monster Trucks.

Hmm, one of my early predicts would probably be Downsizing.  Seems like something the academy would dig.  I'd have to think for a bit for my official predictions though.

Edited by That One Guy

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Monster Trucks.

Actually I say Underworld 5 and The Comedian ;)

Darkest Hour

Downsizing

Dunkirk

First Man

Kathryn Bigelow's New Film

The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara

Mother

Paul Thomas Anderson's New Film

Wind River

Wonderstruck

These are going to be hilariously wrong. This was my first 2016 list:

Spoiler

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

The Birth of a Nation

The Disaster Artist

Howard Hughes (Rules Don't Apply)

LBJ

Live By Night

The Magnificent Seven

Silence

Sully

The Yellow Birds

1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Hide contents

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

The Birth of a Nation

The Disaster Artist

Howard Hughes (Rules Don't Apply)

LBJ

Live By Night

The Magnificent Seven

Silence

Sully

The Yellow Birds

Predicting at any point in time that an Antoine Fuqua-directed remake of The Magnificent Seven would get a Best Picture nomination deserves to go down in infamy alongside @Telemachos' Blackhat thread.

2 people like this

I could see the academy going for Greatest Showman on Earth too provided that it's good.  I think Blade Runner 2049 could also pull a Fury Road.

My goal is to get at least four right in this post

Annihilation

Blade Runner 2049

The Dark Tower

Dunkirk

The Glass Castle

Marshall

Mary Magdelene

Murder on the Orient Express

Untitled Detroit Project (Kathryn Bigelow)

Wonderstruck

3 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

My goal is to get at least four right in this post

The Dark Tower

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

Just you wait and see

6 hours ago, La La Panda said:

Just you wait and see

OH MY GOD IM STILL LAUGHING LMAO.

Panda, for all that is holy, please stop snorting bamboo :apocalypse: 

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Darkest Hour

Downsizing

Dunkirk

First Man

The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara

Mother

Wind River

Wonderstruck

Reveal hidden contents

maybe sooner than you think. Wind river getting bad buzz going in to sundance. Weinstein company just dropped it like a week ago. Could still surprise but idk

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

maybe sooner than you think. Wind river getting bad buzz going in to sundance. Weinstein company just dropped it like a week ago. Could still surprise but idk

Really? Damn.

8 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I could see the academy going for Greatest Showman on Earth too provided that it's good.  I think Blade Runner 2049 could also pull a Fury Road.

The thing that gives me pause for The Greatest Showman on Earth is that the behind-the-camera people are largely unproven (as in don't have much in the way of credentials either way). We shall see.

Yeah, first time directors have gotten nominated before, but they're more of a loose cannon than others.

Im also skeptical about a few movies, like The Darkest Hour.  It was directed by the dude who did Pan.

25 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

Im also skeptical about a few movies, like The Darkest Hour.  It was directed by the dude who did Pan.

He'll probably be in his dude-who-did-Atonement mode for this. 

1 person likes this

The problem with these early predictions every year is that people go for all the biggest movies that seem like possible contenders, when that just never happens. If I'm looking now, Downsizing and the Detroit movie seem very viable, but all the other big ones seem like really going out on a limb at this point. We have gotten at least one from Sundance almost every year this decade, so we're probably gonna find out one within a few weeks here. 

2 people like this

Downsizing

Dunkirk

First Man

Granite Mountain

The Greatest Showman on Earth

Mother

The Snowman

Star Wars Episode VIII

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The problem with these early predictions every year is that people go for all the biggest movies that seem like possible contenders, when that just never happens. If I'm looking now, Downsizing and the Detroit movie seem very viable, but all the other big ones seem like really going out on a limb at this point. We have gotten at least one from Sundance almost every year this decade, so we're probably gonna find out one within a few weeks here. 

Yeah, there's gonna be at least one movie that will end going the route of being a flop. Something in these early predictions will be this year's Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.

1 person likes this

Is that PTA/DDL movie actually coming out this year? That sounds super dope.

the predictions are generally fanboy wish fulfilment until September. Hasn't been news on the PTA in months and he's not a quick filmmaker so I doubt it's this year.

2 people like this