Fancyarcher

Best Original Score 2017

Any predicts on what's gonna get nominated for best original score this year? Not really sure right now, Williams for The Last Jedi is the only one I'm predicting currently. 

http://www.thewrap.com/new-oscars-rules-knock-multi-part-documentaries-like-oj-made-america/

Also the academy has changed its rules on the score voting process, so now scores written by three or more "equally contributing composers" can get nominated. Of course if the academy had followed this rule consistently something like The Last Emperor with three credited composers wouldn't have best original score prior. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

Zimmer for Dunkirk. i think maybe Desplat for the Del Toro movie. maybe johnny greenwood if he's working on the PTA. the academy has been getting a bit more interesting here recently with stuff like Mica Levi and Arcade Fire getting nominated so he could finally be let in.

Edited by CoolioD1

Zimmer for Dunkirk is pretty much a given. I'm not sure Greenwood will get nominated though, unless Paul Thomas Anderson's latest film surprises in terms of nominations, which is a possibility given that he's working with Day-Lewis again, though.

Edited by Fancyarcher

I dunno if The Papers is gonna have anything worth nominating. Didn't stop them with regards to Williams before, but I think Last Jedi will be a better candidate to satisfy their hard-on for him. 

I'll stick with my earlier prediction but throw out Darkest Hour for the PTA and add Shape of Water as the alternate. 

he'll probably get nominated for both lbr. my dude got in for the book thief (yeah, that BFG snub is still weird).

though hopefully with shit like moonlight and jackie and stuff like that getting in here, i think this branch might move towards more interesting, non-traditional scores, kinda like how i think the rest of the academy is slowly sorta moving in that direction.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 9:34 PM, El Panda Machos said:

Dunkirk will be fine, as that's not a significant enough portion of the score.

The academy also made that recent rule that allowed scores with more then one composer to be nominated.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

My predicted nominees

Zimmer - Dunkirk

Desplat - Shape of Water

Williams - The Post

Giacchino - Coco

Marianelli - Darkest Hour

Alternates

Newman - Victoria and Abdul

Burwell - Wonderstruck

Williams - Last Jedi

Given how weak this year is, The Last Jedi is probably a solid 4th (potentially higher if Dunkirk and/or Phantom Thread are ineligible). If this was a stronger year, I'd have it missing; the score is way too reliant on themes from previous movies.

On 7/16/2017 at 5:01 PM, CoolioD1 said:

mother or blade runner, one of the johannssons.

:sparta: