Blankments

If Minorities Made the Most - A Box Office List

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

Lana has spoken in great length about her questioning her gender identity during her youth. Being transgender obviously isn't just about having a sex change.

I look at all the white gay male directors on the list and by the same reasoning shouldn't we pick out the ones who weren't openly gay at the time they made those movies?

I don't question Lana's sincerity at all. All I question is how Warner Brothers perceived them when they green lit THE MATRIX. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

I don't question Lana's sincerity at all. All I question is how Warner Brothers perceived them when they green lit THE MATRIX. 

That goes back to what I said: if we look at the other white LGBT directors, how many of them were openly LGBT at the time they made their respective movies, and if they weren't, should we treat them the same as the Wachowskis?

I just think we're opening a pandora's box here.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2017 at 9:20 PM, Noodlebug said:

The Matrix Trilogy should be there. They're both transwomen now.

The conversation has been had in this thread, and even though I agree with you, I am going with the will of the forum to not count the Matrix films on this list

It's totally hilarious that media are acting like movies with women never made money until recently and that Hollywood never made movies with women until recently. 

GWTW - Scarlett is the lead

Titanic - Rose is the lead

The Exorcist - Chris and Regan (mother and daughter) are leads

Halloween - Laurie is the lead

Alien, Aliens - Ripley is the lead

Terminator, T2 - Sarah is the lead

Snow White Disney animation - Snow White is the lead

POTC - Elizabeth is the lead

Insert bulk of movies starring Bette, Marilyn, Kate the Great, etc, which they carried on their names, not just shared credit with a male lead.

Also, as far as action movies go, cause we know this is where all the whining is concentrated, Underworld and RE are franchises with a female lead since early aughts. 

It isn't a recent thing at all. It just wasn't acknowledged and in some cases male character upstaged female one (which still doesn't make the movie his movie in its intention).

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It's totally hilarious that media are acting like movies with women never made money until recently and that Hollywood never made movies with women until recently. 

There is a strawmen we should not create and try to take down.

Does the media said that movie with women never made money, or that it was a small portion of the large budgeted with an world release getting made until recently ?

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Also, as far as action movies go, cause we know this is where all the whining is concentrated, Underworld and RE are franchises with a female lead since early aughts. 

Small budgets/studio specialty branch for the most part too.

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It isn't a recent thing at all.

But there is a recent shift:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/21/female-protagonists-high-2016-arrival-rogue-one-ghostbusters

A reported 37% of films included major female characters, up 3% from 2015 and another all-time high.

http://womenintvfilm.sdsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/2016-Its-a-Mans-Celluloid-World-Report.pdf

Media are sensationalist, both them and us should probably stay away from using cherry picked example, use 3 year's of released movie (say 1987 to 1990, 95 to 98, etc...) look at the top 300 movies during that time, what was the percentage with a clear female lead vs clear male lead, use those numbers.

Exception like James Cameron are not necessarily representative.

• Like 1

@Barnack It all boils down to action genre that some people think is the ultimate proof of gender equality. They invested big money in Titanic and POTC and those movies have female leads. Sure, they were surrounded by male characters but the female lead was the main protagonist regardless. But it's action that they want to always succeed when the woman's in the lead, so unless they start making all action movies with ladies, there's going to be the argument that they are under-represented. well, like movies with male leads, some will hit, some will misfire. That cannot be avoided. 

45 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@Barnack It all boils down to action genre that some people think is the ultimate proof of gender equality.

I disagree, it about the complete slate imo. Action genre is where click bait, female half the number of lead part men have across the board not just action.

They invested big money in Titanic and POTC and those movies have female leads.

That is again cherry picking example, and Johnny Depp was nominated for best actor on a lead role on that movie. Look at the top 1000 released movie between 1997 and 2004 and make percentage, if you want to assess the existence or non existence of gender inequality not 2 of the 1200 wide release.

But it's action that they want to always succeed when the woman's in the lead, so unless they start making all action movies with ladies, there's going to be the argument that they are under-represented

I doubt you really believe any of that, you really think that if in the next 10 year's half the speaking roles in action movies are ladies that people will still care for individual success of release with ladies and still have an argument that they are under-represented.

Do this exercise, do any of those arguments exists in the world of  book ? About gender inequality in term of publisher/writer/protagonist ? No right, why ? Because woman are not underrepresented in that world. Why would it be any different if it become true in the movie world ?

Edited by Barnack

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@Barnack You are right and I'm wrong. That said, ladies failed at action cause most of the time they cast unconvincing actresses. it's the same why action movies with pretty boys tend to flop. Unconvincing as ass kickers.  

And I think that why that the fantastic era we are in is in part why there is a little jump with female in action, in a world were everything is magic (star wars/superheroes/robots suits etc...) and nothing come from actual talent/muscle mass, but a magical - robotic strength, male or female become more and more irrelevant in term of physicality because even thought the actor are human male/female they do not plays humans at all, they often play a god/robot/fantastic magical being not a woman.

Edited by Barnack