Eevin

BOT's Ranking of the Top 200 Films of All Time Adjusted: THE OFFICIAL COUNTDOWN THREAD (after much delay, the full list on pg.10)

And, following a month-long (!?) hiatus, we return!
A classic 1970s disaster film, and sorry @department store basement.

Spoiler

The Towering Inferno (1974)

"I don't know. Maybe they just oughta leave it the way it is. Kind of a shrine to all the bullshit in the world."

Towering_inferno_movie_poster.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 56

Average points: 101.03

Lists: 8

The Towering Inferno, in many ways, serves as one of the last blockbusters of the Old Hollywood era. Released in 1974, the film was received generally well, being nominated for Best Picture, and is widely considered one of the better mid-1970s disaster films alongside The Poseidon Adventure. It wasn't the highest-grossing film of 1974 (that one will come quite a bit further in the list), but it was the biggest traditional blockbuster. And just months after its release, a certain little film about a certain little shark emerged and forever changed the way we see blockbuster cinema.

Spoiler

Tootsie (1982)

"And I'm not mentally ill, but proud, and lucky, and strong enough to be the woman that was the best part of my manhood. The best part of myself."

Tootsie_imp.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 71

Average points: 115.54

Lists: 7

Tootsie is great. It's exactly the kind of movie that one would have expected to be a hit 30 years ago- a star on the rise, a novel concept, and an uproariously funny script- and exactly the kind of movie that no one pays attention to nowadays. With the rise of the modern LGBT movement, many of the film's themes could be perceived as outdated- despite the fact that it was quite progressive when it was released. This is another film on the list that is well-liked by the people who saw it, but just wasn't seen enough. So to anyone who hasn't seen Tootsie, I strongly recommend you do so ASAP. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

• Like 8

Next, two sequels: one widely hated, the other...eh?

Spoiler

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

"We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away."

220px-Kingdomofthecrystalskull.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 139

Average points: 50.797

Lists: 16

There's something to be said for the widespread backlash towards Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It actually received decent reviews from critics, only to be utterly lambasted when it turns out that they were bending over backward not to trash a beloved icon. As someone who enjoys Crystal Skull more than the average person (it's a solid adventure movie if you don't compare it to the other three), even I have to acknowledge that it was released too late and had a couple ingratiating characters. Nevertheless, like Star Wars, the fact that this made so much money despite so much backlash proves how iconic the character is- and makes one wonder about the potential that a fifth installment could have.

Spoiler

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)

"Oh, is that all the thanks I get for the night of hot sex?!"

MV5BMmFkZGQxN2YtODNlYS00MzM5LTk3NjQtNTUx

Rank adjusted for inflation: 174

Average points: 64.206

Lists: 13

The Spy Who Shagged Me is a classic example of the "breakout sequel" that we just don't see anymore. Nowadays, films make so much money that their sequels are expected to barely increase, or even decrease- see Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. But back in this day and age, a sequel to a leggy and well-liked original could explode. This happened on its opening weekend, when in three days it made more than the entire domestic run of International Man of Mystery. It also had pretty god-awful legs for a comedy at the time, owing to the fact that the film itself is pretty terrible. But it's a classic example of why we still have such high expectations for sequels. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Eevin said:

And, following a month-long (!?) hiatus, we return!
A classic 1970s disaster film, and sorry @department store basement.

Hide contents

The Towering Inferno (1974)

"I don't know. Maybe they just oughta leave it the way it is. Kind of a shrine to all the bullshit in the world."

Towering_inferno_movie_poster.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 56

Average points: 101.03

Lists: 8

The Towering Inferno, in many ways, serves as one of the last blockbusters of the Old Hollywood era. Released in 1974, the film was received generally well, being nominated for Best Picture, and is widely considered one of the better mid-1970s disaster films alongside The Poseidon Adventure. It wasn't the highest-grossing film of 1974 (that one will come quite a bit further in the list), but it was the biggest traditional blockbuster. And just months after its release, a certain little film about a certain little shark emerged and forever changed the way we see blockbuster cinema.

Hide contents

Tootsie (1982)

"And I'm not mentally ill, but proud, and lucky, and strong enough to be the woman that was the best part of my manhood. The best part of myself."

Tootsie_imp.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 71

Average points: 115.54

Tootsie is great. It's exactly the kind of movie that one would have expected to be a hit 30 years ago- a star on the rise, a novel concept, and an uproariously funny script- and exactly the kind of movie that no one pays attention to nowadays. With the rise of the modern LGBT movement, many of the film's themes could be perceived as outdated- despite the fact that it was quite progressive when it was released. This is another film on the list that is well-liked by the people who saw it, but just wasn't seen enough. So to anyone who hasn't seen Tootsie, I strongly recommend you do so ASAP. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

GOD DAMMIT.

These two should be way higher than Crystal Skull and Spy Who Shagged Me - have most voters actually seen more than a few films made before 1990?

• Like 2

Surprised some like Tootsie are so low, but yes it does go to show that some people only go back so far with films.  It was only on 7 lists so that explains it right there

Edited by 75live

When this list wraps up, I'll post a separate list of the average points. That might be a better indicator of which films are strictly more liked as opposed to more watched.

Gotta go, but the list shall continue tonight!

• Like 2

Next up, two films that really couldn't be more different.

Spoiler

Star Wars: Episode II- Attack of the Clones (2002)

"I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."

Star_Wars_-_Episode_II_Attack_of_the_Clo

Rank adjusted for inflation: 94

Average points: 52.781

Lists: 16

What separates Star Wars from almost any other brand is its endless popularity- the characters are so iconic, the music so familiar and the direction so pitch-perfect that virtually any (minus The Clone Wars) movie can be a massive success. And Attack of the Clones had a lot less going for it. For one, it wasn't a very well-received movie, and this came off of the widespread backlash towards The Phantom Menace. It was also opening in the shadow of the immensely popular Spider-Man a film which overshadowed it but nonetheless did not remove it from history. So it's a testament to Star Wars that Attack of the Clones made it into the top 100 adjusted (despite all the odds stacked against it). It may be ridiculed today, but at least it inspired the best memes ( @aabattery @CoolioD1 etc.)

Spoiler

The Caine Mutiny (1954)

"I don't want to upset you too much, but at the moment you have an excellent chance of being hanged."

220px-Mutiny_0.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 135

Average points: 123.929

I'll be frank: I've never seen The Caine Mutiny, so I won't go into it for very long. The film was clearly very successful, and it is yet another World War II film that did gangbuster business. But I (like most people who submitted a list) really can't comment on its impact on Hollywood. It's clearly pretty well-liked by the people who did see it, though, so maybe I should give it a watch.

• Like 9

On 20.06.2017 at 10:49 PM, Eevin said:

Hide contents

The Spy Who Shagged Me is a classic example of the "breakout sequel" that we just don't see anymore. Nowadays, films make so much money that their sequels are expected to barely increase, or even decrease- see Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. But back in this day and age, a sequel to a leggy and well-liked original could explode. This happened on its opening weekend, when in three days it made more than the entire domestic run of International Man of Mystery

Pitch Perfect 2 says hi.

• Like 3

Disclaimer: From now on in the list I'm going to take away the "rank adjusted for inflation" meter. It's screwed up anyway since Guardians 2 and (eventually) Wonder Woman will have made the list. If I need to add something like "this is one of the top 10 films of all time adjusted" then I'll do so.

Edited by Eevin

Next up: a James Bond film and yet another underseen classic...

Spoiler

Thunderball (1965)

"Do you mind if my friend sits this one out? She's just dead."

Thunderball_-_UK_cinema_poster.jpg

Average points: 90.185

Lists: 10

Thunderball is an interesting film. Adjusted for inflation, it's the most financially successful film in the series, ahead of Goldfinger and Skyfall (both of which we'll get to in a bit). The production behind it is also quite fascinating- a lawsuit filed in 1961 against Ian Fleming, author of "Thunderball" the novel, left producer Kevin McClory with access to certain characters and concepts from the Bond series. Warner Bros. would later release a second adaptation of Thunderball entitled Never Say Never Again, which is not considered canon despite starring Sean Connery. Confusing? A little. But while much of the action may be repetitive in Thunderball, it cemented the Bond franchise as one that would continue for generations- becoming one of the defining film series of all-time.

Spoiler

The Ten Commandments (1956)

"A city is built of brick, Pharoah. The strong make many, the starving make few. The dead make none. So much for accusations."

MV5BODcxYjUxZDgtYTQ5Zi00YmQ1LWJmZmItODZk

Average points: 100.238

Lists: 9

It cannot be understated the impact that The Ten Commandments had on the world of film. The film was the final one of legendary director Cecil B. DeMille as well as his most successful, being the sixth-highest-grossing film of all time (adjusted). The extravagant production values (the scene on Mount Sinai was filmed on Mount Sinai, the production crew having hiked 7,000 feet) helped it win an Oscar for Best Visual Effects. The film is definitely not perfect- much of the dialogue and narrative beats can feel outdated at some points- but it certainly didn't deserve to lose Best Picture to Around the World in 80 Days, mediocre as that film was. And it absolutely didn't deserve to be ranked this low.

• Like 11

Ok. So here's the deal.

I'm fairly convinced that if I continue to hold myself to doing these write-ups, I'm never going to find time to do them and the countdown will never finish. I don't want that and I don't think any of you do either. 

am continuing the countdown, but my posts are going to be much more abbreviated and less "fancy". I won't be going as in-depth with my write ups as I would like. I do apologize to everyone who submitted a list for postponing this long, but hopefully this will help it be done quicker. 

• Like 2

MASH (1970)

MV5BMTc4NjE4MzI0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzIw

Lists: 9

Average points: 101.146

Yet another underseen classic, MASH is perhaps best known for the TV show that it inspired, helping to boost the profile of this satirical masterpiece. It's well-liked by those who've seen it, but their numbers were not enough to conquer the next film on the list...

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)

MV5BMTg2MzY0NDM1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzUz

Lists: 12

Average points: 77

One of the last films to truly thrive on word-of-mouth, My Big Fat Greek Wedding is still one of the most astonishing and leggy box office runs in recent memory. It is "essential viewing" for any box office aficionado, even if the film itself isn't all that great. It may have faded from the public consciousness somewhat, but it will forever be relevant among the box office community.

• Like 4

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)

MV5BM2FmZGIwMzAtZTBkMS00M2JiLTk2MDctM2Fl

Lists: 18

Average points: 51.527

The age of "Internet backlash" arguably began with The Phantom Menace, the fourth installment (but first chronologically) in the Star Wars franchise. Receiving unprecedented hype from both the fanbase and the public at-large, its infamy has grown over time as criticism of the film reached its boiling point. Regardless of your thoughts, it's still a testament to the widespread popularity of the Star Wars brand.

Saturday Night Fever (1977)

Saturday_night_fever_movie_poster.jpg

Lists: 12

Average points: 77.835

There are few films that scream "1970s" quite like Saturday Night Fever. With one of the best and highest-selling soundtracks of all time, it's an iconic and surprisingly poignant film. Whether or not it's aged well is debatable, but it and the decade it was released in will always be intertwined.

• Like 6