WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

17 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

At my theater, 47 Meters Down was selling a lot more. People were predicting 3-4M for Wish Upon here, which never made any sense to me.

Oh, gotcha. People were probably afraid of the distributor, which is fair. Seemed more like 7-8 mil for me. Forgot what I put in the derby 

4 minutes ago, superduperm said:

I'm going to be pretty darn disappointed if it doesn't beat Rise.

I mean, like everyone else, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about half the time. But, Dawn faced zero competition in its first or second weekend. In its third weekend, Lucy opened to $43M. In its 4th weekend, Guardians opened to $94M. I think War has more direct/indirect competition right now. Homecoming's will to $45M to $55M this weekend. Then, next weekend a sci-fi actioner (Valerian) and war epic (Dunkirk) open... War is essentially a cross between the aforementioned but likely much more akin to the tone/solemnity of Dunkirk. Then, a straight up actioner in Atomic Blonde in War's third weekend with Spidey, Valerian and Dunkirk all still in the marketplace. Then, even if it disappoints, a flick like Dark Tower opens in War's fourth weekend. I imagine the Dark Tower audience overlaps given with the War audience given it's a dysptopian action movie as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

Oh, gotcha. People were probably afraid of the distributor, which is fair. Seemed more like 7-8 mil for me. Forgot what I put in the derby 

I was at 7M but lowered it to 5.8M. Hopefully it ends up between them slightly leaning in favor of my new prediction :lol: 

44 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yes, but with Tomato Law, I think we can shoot higher.  How does 70M sound?

But you're forgetting, it's also Sequel Law - they are in conflict this weekend and we'll see which one wins out:)...

20% off the unadjusted box office OW of the last one and you get $57.8M (and I predicted $57M) - if you think the Tomato Law wins, it's gotta come in higher than this number, or it's slipped just like regular sequels...

Edited by TwoMisfits

10 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Is it possible that GoT will have an effect the coming Sundays?

I always forget that show still exists until someone mentions it here. At most, a negligible effect. On a separate note, fuck that show and fuck the long form storytelling of television. What is this? Is it on Season 7 now? So there are 6 season of 10+ 60 minute episodes? Story ain't fucking over yet? Give me a break. Cinema > Television for life.

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I always forget that show still exists until someone mentions it here. At most, a negligible effect. On a separate note, fuck that show and fuck the long form storytelling of television. What is this? Is it on Season 7 now? So there are 6 season of 10+ 60 minute episodes? Story ain't fucking over yet? Give me a break. Cinema > Television for life.

Completely disagree. Current television>>>>>>> current cinema. In which got is the top tier.

• Like 7

If it follows:

Star Trek Beyond - $53,866,555

The Mummy - $58,682,176

Pirates 5 - $57,257,503

Dawn of the Apes - $88,550,521

Godzilla - $50,101,282

Legend of Tarzan - $75,544,816

Rogue Nation - $69,400,111

Mad Max: Fury Road - $61,389,362

Hercules - $70,953,007

Age of Extinction - $57,164,794

• Like 5

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

If it follows:

Star Trek Beyond - $53,866,555

The Mummy - $58,682,176

Pirates 5 - $57,257,503

Dawn of the Apes - $88,550,521

Godzilla - $50,101,282

Legend of Tarzan - $75,544,816

Rogue Nation - $69,400,111

Mad Max: Fury Road - $61,389,362

Hercules - $70,953,007

Age of Extinction - $57,164,794

.....Why did I raise my prediction to 66M

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The season 6 finale is better than any movie released this year..so far

Edited by XO21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I like movies more than TV too, but fuck the long-form storytelling of television al-together? :wintf: 

1 minute ago, Hiccup23 said:

If War for the Planet of the Apes sees the same multiplier as Dawn.

Friday- $33.7M

Saturday- $31.0M

Sunday- $23.5M

Weekend- $88.2M

Final- $253.3M

Now, that would be a very optimistic scenario - I'd say that would prove Tomato Law without a doubt (but I think this guess might be way too reliant on that law:)...

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Where are those people that kept saying OVER and OVER that War would be a walk up film?

......It is a walkup film. Presales went up over 70% from last night at my theater this morning.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Where are those people that kept saying OVER and OVER that War would be a walk up film?

Because it is. The low preview numbers just reinforce that notion. Dawn made 72m after 4m in previews. If that's not walk-up heavy, I don't know what is.

• Like 2