The Purge Anarchy (2014)

24 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Overall, I think it was better than the first movie.  It at least actually really dealt with the premise.  However, in the long run, both movies tend to disintegrate into just something generic.  This one is really just an action movie.  

But even saying all that, I do like how it goes into how the rich and poor deal with the Purge differently and how there is a section of the population that knows the Purge is actually wrong.  It shows how it is really being used to hold people down and that the government is in on the hold thing to help the well-off and to get rid of what they see as poor or lesser people in their minds.

Nothing scary of course as I don't care what they say, this is not a horror film at all.

I would give it a as it was decent enough, but nothing special

• Like 1

If there were a couple parts I could have done without, they were the neighbor breaking in to molest the mother and daughter and the coworker of the mother who was killed by her sister for having an affair with the sister's husband.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

Might be the best film I have seen this summer and if you want to call it a horror movie, which is debatable, then it is one of the best horror films I've ever seen.  The first was decent but this one is something special.  It was tense, funny at times and it had so much more to say about the state of our society than the last one.  The casting was superb as I enjoyed all 5 main characters, especially Grillo, who is slowly becoming a star.  His intensity in both films this year (Captain America 2) is palpable and it oozes off the screen.  

There was a point in the film, about 30 minutes in, when I caught myself grinning and at that point I knew I was witnessing something really special.  There were four or five places this film had the chance to turn ugly and stupid, and each time, it didn't.

A shockingly good film.

9/10

• Like 3

Just re-watched this. So much better than the first one, both action-wise and story-wise. Not perfect, but fun overall. I saw the first one two times in theatres, the second time during a horror movie marathon and the second time it bored the shit outta me. Purge: Anarchy was actually better than the first time I watched it. So bring on Purge 3!

On a more (un)serious note, I want the 'God' mask. :lol:  It's sinister in a good way.

Anyway:

A-

• Like 2

Just re-watched this. So much better than the first one, both action-wise and story-wise. Not perfect, but fun overall. I saw the first one two times in theatres, the second time during a horror movie marathon and the second time it bored the shit outta me. Purge: Anarchy was actually better than the first time I watched it. So bring on Purge 3!

On a more (un)serious note, I want the 'God' mask. :lol:  It's sinister in a good way.

Anyway:

A-

I'd like to move the focus away from people in distress. No more people needing rescue.

I want to see a protagonist who is out for vengeance like Frank Grillo's character, but he doesn't stop to help anyone unless he's purging on someone who is attempting to purge on someone else, and then tells that someone else to leave.

• Like 1

This may not be saying much, but The Purge: Anarchy is a much-improved sequel that on more than a few instances rises above its incredibly stupid concept and works as guilty pleasure popcorn fun. The concept of the purge is still too large of a hurdle for the film to clear. Even with some of the most glaring problems from the first film addressed, there are still so many holes in the logic surrounding the purge, and writer-director James DeMonaco continues to approach it with about as much seriousness as he did the first time around. However, by expanding the scope of the action, he has switched out from a lame standard order home invasion flick to a post-apocalyptic action movie that gains some steam once it lets its characters loose in the lawless streets to fend for themselves. As with its predecessor, the film could benefit from taking a more tongue-in-cheek approach to its absurd concept, but the shift in setting and genre is a welcome move in the right direction.

C+

Damn, I was expecting this to be at least better than the first from what I had read, but not THIS level of good IMO.This one really steps up from the first one as it tackles the the concept of the Purge itself, has more likeable characters, and lots of great rebellious/anarchic imagery in this one (like the "God" mask).Lots of little violent set-pieces, that was much appreciated. 4/5

• Like 3

AMAZING.

I'm so glad the crowd I saw just saw this with didn't ruin the movie for me.

They were so annoying, but DAMN.

Great film.

Loved all the main character. PEOPLE OF COLOR, BLESS.

And they were all good.

Great film. One of my faves this year.

I know this is off topic, but I'd like your attention to the Favorite Things board where I've been asking you about your gawdesks. :lol:

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me if the guy wrote just the first draft and went on to film it, since he had so little time in between the two movies. Very unrefined featuring, Frank Grillo excluded, stupid and annoying characters with whom, Frank Grillo included, you make no emotional connection whatsoever. There are some good action sequences but it's hard to concentrate when your characters either cry or act bravely seemingly at random and change their whole attitude toward either the purge or other characters from scene to scene.

5/10

Haven't seen the first one and after this I don't plan to.

• Like 1

I consider the first one a stupid and badly made horror film. The only good things about it where the premise and the social commentary (even though it has too heavy handed). Everything else seemed like an amateur's work.

So my expectations were really low for this one. But when i saw it i can easily say that it's one of the biggest surprises of the summer. No it's not one of the best films of the year but it's one that takes great use of its premise, has some really interesting characters, it's entertaining and keeps the social commentrary intact. Sure it has its fair share of flaws but manages to overcome most of them. It's a perfectly well made B-movie with a thing or two to say about the state of our society. Feels like a completely different person directed it. I agree with someone who said that this should have been the first one. Good job and i'm interested for the next one.

I consider the first one a stupid and badly made horror film. The only good things about it where the premise and the social commentary (even though it has too heavy handed). Everything else seemed like an amateur's work.

So my expectations were really low for this one. But when i saw it i can easily say that it's one of the biggest surprises of the summer. No it's not one of the best films of the year but it's one that takes great use of its premise, has some really interesting characters, it's entertaining and keeps the social commentrary intact. Sure it has its fair share of flaws but manages to overcome most of them. It's a perfectly well made B-movie with a thing or two to say about the state of our society. Feels like a completely different person directed it. I agree with someone who said that this should have been the first one. Good job and i'm interested for the next one.

The director wanted it to be the first one, but he had a shoestring budget.

• Like 1