13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This is the kind of film that as a teen I would have either ignored or ridiculed.  But as an adult, it absolutely floored me in parts.  I was shocked to learn that this was based on a true story.  Yes, Reese is terrific but the story and the way it is told and the themes it deals with are really front and center.  I don't want to say much because I'm in the middle of doing my top 50 of the year.

9.5/10

• Like 2

I got out of Wild and strangely my opinion of it is nearly identical to Dallas Buyer's Club. It was a very well made movie technically and was very clean in nearly all aspects of it. The acting is top notch and Witherspoon has a very clear and clean arc, the script is focused and tight. But despite all of this the movie (like DBC for me) didn't really have that impactful punch that I'd expect out of a drama like this. It's still a strong film that keeps you invested and watching, but it never had me overly caring to the point where I should have been.

B/B+

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to walk the same path in order to appreciate what the film is trying to say.  That doesn't mean it's going to resonate with everyone.  I've never done heroine or cheated on my ex with many different partners, but what she is going through in this film is something, for the most part, I could relate to.  And until you can forgive yourself, you can't really live.

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to walk the same path in order to appreciate what the film is trying to say.  That doesn't mean it's going to resonate with everyone.  I've never done heroine or cheated on my ex with many different partners, but what she is going through in this film is something, for the most part, I could relate to.  And until you can forgive yourself, you can't really live.

I understand, I've watched similar themes before with other movies and have been through that time when you just need to get away.  I don't know, I guess I just found it a bit too by the numbers for it to really hit like I thought it should have (because technically it's a very well-made and clean movie).

• Like 1

This made a huge impression on me (many of the themes hit close to home, so it's given me plenty to think about since seeing it yesterday afternoon). Jean-Marc Vallee has surpassed the promise he showed with last year's terrific Dallas Buyers Club with this follow-up effort. Cheryl Strayed's memoir has been brought to the screen with care. But Wild wouldn't be the movie that it is without Reese Witherspoon's remarkable performance as Cheryl, probably the best of her career. It's such a relief after years of toiling away in mostly subpar comedies to see Witherspoon delivering work of this caliber. Cheryl is a superbly-written female character, the kind that we rarely see, and we're with her every step of the way due to Witherspoon's excellent work. Despite having significantly less screen time, Laura Dern is also heartbreaking as Cheryl's mother via flashbacks. And the cinematography is beautiful. Movies about redemption and/or self-discovery have become a dime-a-dozen in recent years, but Wild presents its story in a compelling and moving manner that allows it to stand high above most movies covering similar ground. Just a tremendous film with an unforgettable lead performance. A

• Like 2

Damn what a great movie.

2014 has been such a great movie year with "little" gems like this. Whiplash, Birdman, Nightcrawler, GBH. 

Most of them could have been clear BP candidates in weaker years, I think.

Anyway, I rarely felt like I was taken along on a trip in a "road movie" as I did in this one. I didn't want it to end... it felt so natural, calm and yet interesting and even exciting. Witherspoon portrayed such a realistic character... I might actually root for her now just as much as I do for Moore and Pike at the Oscars. Any of these three ladies really deserves it this year.

This felt so genuine, natural, raw and beautiful. I need to see it again asap.

9/10

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

Can I ride my horse? - for some reason that line stayed with me. Laura Dern in general was amazing.

Anyway, this is a movie that should have been so boring, at least on paper, but the fantastic editing brought it to one of the top movies of the year.

8/10

• Like 2

First off all I loved the concept, the Idea was great but I think they drop the ball, I felt like they could have done so much beter. The movie starts of great, you see the troubles she had in rl. She begins the huge walk (pct) and then It goes downwards for me. I left they lost all realism in that part, yeah she does have paint, but for me she didn't express it enough. The flash backs were a bit 'meh' somethimes I had the feeling it was just flat with no real emotions (exept for some parts) and it's just the way the shot it that made me feel like it hadn't emotions in it. I also had a huge problem with the first confrontation with a man in the desert, first the man acts like a total duche, like he wants to have sex, or rape (or something like that), at diner he acts as a jerk and is rude, and than the next day he's super friendly, so likeable that I think what happend in that last night because now I would love to have him as a friend. So that was a big let down, because It drew me out of the movie and it lost a bit of it's realniss (if thats a word). And than afther that it's again that the trip seems to easy to her.

Other than that, the movie had some strong emotional scene's with her mother, the action of some not leading characters was a bit waky but oer all it was prety good. The land scapes were breath taking and realy made the film for me.

C+

65/100

Are you talking about the two hillbillies she met?  

I don't know what hillibilities are, but I was talking about the man in the tractor, the person she met at the begin of her trip, not the two man in the woods, they were creepy.

I never got that the first guy wanted to rape her at all.  She was nervous because she was out by herself.  But he was nothing but nice to her.  Plus he was married, brought her home, he and his wife fed her and the next day they wished her well and she went on her way.  These were normal people who were nice to her, there was no sexual tension and certainly no rape vibe.

They definitely imply that he might be dangerous.

Lol, no they didn't.  She was nervous.  That's all.  She was with a man out in the middle of nowhere, of course she had some trepidation.  But it also showed how wrong her fears were.

Lol, no they didn't.  She was nervous.  That's all.  She was with a man out in the middle of nowhere, of course she had some trepidation.  But it also showed how wrong her fears were.

They did imply it, and it wasn't even subtile it was prety straight forward. You should rewatch that scene. I just saw it yesterday in theather.

They did imply it, and it wasn't even subtile it was prety straight forward. You should rewatch that scene. I just saw it yesterday in theather.

I remember it well.  It was implied and it was also the way you view the man.  A fat dude with a pick up truck picking up a young blond woman traveling alone.  Of course you are going to think that.  But that's on you, the viewer.  He never had any intention of coming onto her.