baumer

Monday #s IM3 11.26

If IM3 follows Avengers exactly from this point on i.e. same daily drops and rises - it finishes with 417 million. If it falls one percent behind Avengers daily (i.e. a drop of 69% as opposed to 68% and same weekend bumps) it finishes with 378 million.

Final number will probably hit 400.

EDIT: Made a mistake in calculation, updated above with the new numbers.

I don't think you get the right math. So you're saying if it follows TA from now on, it will finish with around 2.3 internal multiplier? TA's IM is 3. Even if IM3 opened lower, no way it follows TA's path and finish that low. 

I am and so much that I think I need to stop and do a puff to ward off these panic attacks over this.. :sherlock: 

BKB, you can always follow Shayhiri and watch the movie a million times, that should help  :P

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Ok, guys, come on, it'll top $400m. Even something as insanely frontloaded as DH2 managed to get close and it had to compete with Captain America the very next weekend. 

$400m is assured, unless it drops off massively this weekend.

I know this won't be popular opinion, and I'm not being a "hater" either, but IM3 faces even stiffer competition than DH2 did. Not to mention IM3 essentially had half an extra night's worth of shows for opening day. Our notions of "front-loading" are changing as we speak.

I think $400m is very likely, but until we see some stable drops it's definitely not locked.

Either way, it's making a ridiculous amount of money and way more than any Iron Man movie before. Doesn't matter whether that's $385 million or $425 million. It's a great number either way.

• Like 6

If you guys are as BO savvy as you say, you should realize that the 2nd weekend will be the big test. If this was July, IM3 would have done $16M+ today. May weekdays are always weak as theirs exams, work, and school, hence the inflated weekends. Geez, you get one daily # and people panic.

• Like 1

If you guys are as BO savvy as you say, you should realize that the 2nd weekend will be the big test. If this was July, IM3 would have done $16M+ today. May weekdays are always weak as theirs exams, work, and school, hence the inflated weekends. Geez, you get one daily # and people panic.

But but but that's the fun around here  :P

I don't think you get the right math. So you're saying if it follows TA from now on, it will finish with around 2.3 internal multiplier? TA's IM is 3. Even if IM3 opened lower, no way it follows TA's path and finish that low. 

Actually, I exported the Avengers numbers from BOM and ran the comparison in a spreadsheet. Admittedly, I should have probably done that with just the weekend numbers, just never got around to it till today. Doing it with just the IM3 weekend number yields 480 million (same exact drops as TA every single day including today). Due to the Monday drop being slightly more than TA, it led to the number skewing a lot more.

Edited by grim22

• Founder / Operator

That's why, from what I've seen, most are comparing it to other May releases. Even playing field in the case of Avengers, Iron Man 2, Spidey 3, etc.

That's why, from what I've seen, most are comparing it to other May releases. Even playing field in the case of Avengers, Iron Man 2, Spidey 3, etc.

I just saw comparisons to TDK, thats why i put this.

• Like 1

Avengers and TDK have completely ruined any semblance of perspective on superhero movies..lol

It will be even worse when MoS releases, as the comparison points will be TDKR and IM3 opening weekends which may make any opening less than 140M feel like a disappointment. Moderation is unknown around these parts  :lol:

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3