baumer

Monday #s IM3 11.26

Forrest Gump is really an interesting case. It's one of my fav of all time, but critics seem to not love it much. It got very average reviews on RT, and on MT the score wasn't really high either. Yet it was one of the few films that was extremely financially successful and won the Oscars for almost all major awards (BP, BD, Screenplay, Actor and Editing).

Gump is very iconic and memorable. Its almost annoying how much people still go "Run, Forrest, Run", when you literally have to run somewhere, but if it was released in 2013, Gump wouldn't have came close to $329. Just a different era.

It blows my mind that these pancake fluff marvel movies now own the #1 and #2 OW records. There's nothing offensive about them. They're just so.... there. They slice perfectly to the American demographic, a complete corporate product from A to Z. I didn't dislike either movie. They're fun, über-pop, working best as comedies and culture snapshots and I've submitted myself to the "event" but I don't have a craving for seconds. Seen one seen them all. Yet I have to see them. It's a crazy paradox.

• Like 3

FG is one of the few films that actually deserved its best picture Oscar

Pulp Fiction > Shawshank Redemption > Forrest Gump > The Lion King > A lot of movies. 1994 had a good output. 

• Like 1

Gump is very iconic and memorable. Its almost annoying how much people still go "Run, Forrest, Run", when you literally have to run somewhere, but if it was released in 2013, Gump wouldn't have came close to $329. Just a different era.

Sad commentary on the current era IYAM.

And SW or Jaws won't even sell half the tickets they did in 70's if being released today. What's the point?

Every film is a snapshot of its own era. That's all.

Edited by vc2002

It blows my mind that these pancake fluff marvel movies now own the #1 and #2 OW records. There's nothing offensive about them. They're just so.... there. They slice perfectly to the American demographic, a complete corporate product from A to Z. I didn't dislike either movie. They're fun, über-pop, working best as comedies and culture snapshots and I've submitted myself to the "event" but I don't have a craving for seconds. Seen one seen them all. Yet I have to see them. It's a crazy paradox.

I was just thinking this earlier. :sick:

Pretty much agreed but I did enjoy IM3 compared to the other MCU filmsStay on topic. We are discussing if Forrest Gump sucks or is it a great film.
  • Like 1

Pulp Fiction > Shawshank Redemption > Forrest Gump > The Lion King > A lot of movies. 1994 had a good output. 

Don't agree with the rankings, but yes to being an awesome year.