Water Bottle

Game of Thrones (BOOK + TV) WARNING: SPOILERS [NO LEAKED EPISODE SPOILERS]

• Community Manager

If you watch the TV show and you read the books then this thread is for you. In this thread you can discuss events from the TV show and anything that has happened in any book. I feel like having a separate thread for both the TV and the book fans will allow them to discuss what's going to happen next and how the tv show has handled scenes from the book and stuff.

As a note, this thread will be heavy on spoilers as a necessity. If you're still reading along the series or watching the TV show without having ready the source material, this thread might not be for you. Finally the Game of Thrones discussions you've been wanting to have can happen...

If you want to discuss just the books:

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/152-a-song-of-ice-and-fire/

If you want to discuss just the TV show:

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/902-game-of-thrones/

Edited by #ED

I believe it was mentioned earlier but they've now clearly merged the Gendry and Edric story lines.  If I recall correctly he doesn't really do much in the books from this point.  I wonder what part, if any, Robert's bastards are going to play in the final books.

Yeah Gendry, once Arya leaves the Brotherhood, only appears briefly near the end of Book 4. Edric hasn't appeared since about 2/3 of the way through Book 3.

Hey can you tell me how do you think this season will end ^^^

Interested to know where they end it.

Episode 9 is clearly The Red Wedding. The whole affair will be the primary plotline of the episode but other things are going on too based on the released episode synopsis:

Episode 3.09 – The Rains of CastamereRobb presents himself to Walder Frey, and Edmure meets his bride. Jon faces his harshest test yet. Bran discovers a new gift. Daario and Jorah debate how to take Yunkai. House Frey joins with House Tully. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.)

The synopsis for Episode 10 is:

Episode 3.10 – MhysaJoffrey challenges Tywin. Bran tells a ghost story. In Dragonstone, mercy comes from strange quarters. Dany waits to see if she is a conqueror or a liberator. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.)

Based on that synopsis we have:

Fallout from the Red Wedding in King's Landing. Likely this will be the scene where Joffrey tries to act all arrogant king in front of Tywin and Tywin, who doesn't take any shit, has the guards take Joffrey to his room and sedate him as a lesson. Sansa obviously will learn and be depressed. Since Ros is dead I expect them to bring Sir Dontos back and inform Sansa that there will be an opportunity for her to escape at Joffrey's upcoming wedding. He may give her the purple hairnet at that point.

Bran definitely is going to be telling Jojen/Meera/Osha/etc the story of the Nightfort while they camp there. I expect near the end of the the episode they will encounter Sam and Gilly who will tell Bran about Coldhands. Sam and Gilly will set out for Castle Black and the Stark kiddies will finally split up, with Bran/Meera/Jojen/Hodor heading through the Wall to meet Coldhands and Rickon/Osha going to whereever they've been the whole time in the Books.

Dragonstone, I'm not sure. It's too soon for Davos to read the letter to Stannis since that only happens after Joffrey's wedding, so I expect he is finally released from prison, if he isn't in Episode 7 or 8.

I think Jon will return wounded to Castle Black to rejoin the Night's Watch.

I think the biggest focus of the episode will be on the victory at Yunkai and the freeing of its slaves, who cheer Daenerys as "Mysha," meaning "mother."

My gut feeling is that the final scene of the season will be Beric/Thoros/others finding the corpse of a certain character and resurrecting it at the cost of Beric's life.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

I am wondering when Balon Greyjoy will die. We know from trailers that Yara appears this season in at least one episode. The synopsis for Episode 8 says that Davos "asks for proof" so my guess is that Melisandre wants to sacrifice Gendry to waken the stone dragons of Dragonstone, but Davos demands she first prove her fire magic first like in the books. Now since they conveniently introduced the three stillborns in Selyse's chamber, my guess is that they will take the place of the leeches of king's blood Melisandre uses in her ritual.

This means that Balon could die anywhere from near the end of Episode 8 onward. In the book he dies before the Red Wedding, which is the big reason for Robb moving his whole army to the Twins so he can capitalize on the death to retake the Neck and Moat Caitlin. However since Robb's plan is to attack Casterly Rock instead, it wouldn't be a big change if Balon dies after Robb dies.

My personal choice would be for Balon to die in the opening scene of Season 4 Episode 1 since it will space things out between the Red Wedding and Joffrey's wedding nicely. Plus it would fit well for the season premiere since I expect that premiere to introduce his brothers who compete with Yara for control of the Iron Islands.

My immediate reaction was the latter. Because Jeyne didn't even go to the Twins in the book.

Except Blackfish is also enroute to the Twins when he also stayed behind in the books. So we don't know for sure what the deal is with that.

The show is just setting things up now where the tension will rise a lot next show....and then its OMG in show 9.... Amazing scene with Dany and the Yunkai...Badass Dany ftw

Edited by Lordmandeep

Yeah... too bad this is the start of Dany being infuriatingly STUPID.  Unsullied viewers are expecting her to continue to be badass and maybe head towards Westeros soon.  But nope.  She decides to sit on her ass twiddling her thumbs in Meereen and lusting over Daario for way too long.  They better shorten that in the show or people will be pissed.

Luckily they will stretch the conquering of Meereen through most of Season 4 I imagine. I could see a setup like this:

Episode 4.1- Introduce Dany on the Road to Meereen

Episode 4.3- Dany arrives at Meereen, tries to broker a surrender but it fails

Episode 4.5- Figuring out how to siege Meereen, advisor bickering, have someone take Belwas' place in the "Champion Fight"

Episode 4.6- Assassination attempt on Dany, Jorah's past spying revealed

Episode 4.7- The sewer assault on Meereen, the city falls

Episode 4.8- Jorah is exiled, Dany decides to stay and rule

Episode 4.10- Dany learns of her dragons getting out of control with the alleged child kill, locks Rhaegal and Viserion up and Drogon flies off.

Her Season 5 arc would end with the Arena scene and flying away on Drogon.

• Like 1

Oh definitely, but it's understandable why she becomes so focused on Slaver's Bay and ending the slave trade because of how she was essentially sold into slavery to the Dothraki and all the slavery/brutality she witnessed.

It's just that Martin's writing in ADWD for Dany's chapters wasn't good at conveying that. AND because she made some very poor, indecisive decisions to avoid having to make hard choices after spending Book 3 as a conqueror.