baumer

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

117 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Yikes, three days after seeing it, and it's already not holding up. Iron Man 3 is already fresher in my mind. :mellow:

I saw IM3 again a day before I saw STID. Maybe the latter just really suffered in comparison for me- they're similar films thematically and narratively, but IM3 is twice as witty and kinetic a film IMO.
  • Like 2

I've totally forgotten about STID. I don't even have the enthusiasm to bash it anymore. All that remains in my head is the image of Cumberbatch crushing Peter Weller's skull.

The only image I had of that moment was Alice Eve screaming.

I was lucky enough to watch IM3 and STID back to back in the theatres and damn did I enjoy that 5 hour's. Both are great Summer fare IMO.

Where IM3 fell down I think compared to STID is that it's tone was all over the shop. Giving Tony Stark this inability to sleep and his panic attacks, it is almost like they wanted to go down this really dark path with him. But the actual movie is really light hearted affair and i don't think that the constant joking and puns matched the issues that they gave him to deal with in this movie. STID however has a consistent tone and is the better movie for it.

Both movies will fall apart when you try to analyse their plots too deeply though.

• Like 2

10 days after seeing it and I'm still excited. I'm seeing it again tomorrow, I'm excited!

Agree! Watched it the Saturday after it opened, then two more times since then and I still can't wait to go back yet again for another viewing. The actors and their chemistry in this film (and the first) blow me away and cover up plot inconsistencies for me (not to mention it is fantasy/sci-fi, so plotholes will abound). 

All things considered, I haven't been this stoked about a film since Return of the King, and I'd be hard-pressed to find a major flaw with the film. I do think Cumberbatch could have been better used (i.e, more). Also, I'd have liked more scenes with Alice Eve; she was somewhat pointless in this film, clearly placed to serve as a love interest in the next installment. Despite that, I thought she did well and I enjoyed the few scenes she was a part of. I wouldn't have revived Kirk so quickly, because it sort of took away from the moments following his passing.

Pine and Quinto are fantastic. I love Spock, but I thought Pine's Kirk was really well done here. His expressions and body language are spot on for every emotion and thought he is trying to convey. Same with Quinto, but I thought Pine really upped the ante here. I appreciated bigger roles for Saldana and Urban, and Yelchin/Cho/Pegg were just as entertaining as in the first film. I wanted more Admiral Pike, but I thought his final scene was poignant (if a bit unceremonious) and a great vehicle for Spock's developing understanding of Kirk. 

Also, I really thought most of the ending was great. I don't really understand why some people are miffed about the death scene; I don't see why it has to take away from what happened in WoK. Can't we enjoy both? To me it neither takes away from that film nor seems like a blatant ripoff. I thought it was really well done, particularly Quinto's expressions as well as the delivery of lines that on paper are pretty cheesy but I thought worked really well in the moment - "I do not know. Right now, I am feeling". Could've done without the "KHAAAAAN", but it was worlds away from Vader's "NOOOOOOO" in SWIII and definitely didn't make me cringe. I could really feel Spock's pain and anger, not just in that scene but throughout the entire next scene as well. Him beating the tar out of Khan was great action, but man I really felt how pissed off he was. Perhaps I'm just an extraordinarily empathetic person =). And while it did feel sorta cheap that Kirk was so easily revived, I am glad they set that up earlier in the film so it wasn't some crazy deus ex machina scene at the end. And I also don't think Khan's blood is as bad a plot device as some make it out to be. Both the characters it healed were ill; it wasn't as if they were shot or killed in an explosion. And besides, it clearly had to be administered quickly after death. Spock's revival in the old films was just as cheap as this one was.

Overall, I had sky-high expectations for this film, and it managed to exceed them. Shoutout to Giacchino for a fantastic score that is an improvement on the first one. "London Calling", "Meld-Merized", "Warp Core Values" and "Buying the Space Farm" really gave me chills in the film.

Edited by jaredm2012
  • Like 1

I was lucky enough to watch IM3 and STID back to back in the theatres and damn did I enjoy that 5 hour's. Both are great Summer fare IMO.

Where IM3 fell down I think compared to STID is that it's tone was all over the shop. Giving Tony Stark this inability to sleep and his panic attacks, it is almost like they wanted to go down this really dark path with him. But the actual movie is really light hearted affair and i don't think that the constant joking and puns matched the issues that they gave him to deal with in this movie. STID however has a consistent tone and is the better movie for it.

Both movies will fall apart when you try to analyse their plots too deeply though.

Neither one had a perfect story structure, but I'd argue that IM3's is at least a bit more sturdy than that of STID. That's and it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable, IMO.