baumer

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

117 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Just saw it yesterday and it was good but not great I thought.

Cumberbatch was great in his role and the acting in general was very good. I just felt there was something missing.

It felt a little weird not quite knowing who was on who's side. If Kahn was the bad guy, why did he keep Kirk and Scotty alive in the enemy ship? If he's the good guy why did he go crazy at the end? It felt just vague enough to feel like the writer/directer did not intend such questions to be part of the film.

The Russian and Scottish accents were of course stupid again but I assume this is paying tribute to the original series' terrible accents too right?

In general I felt IM3 was better, but its a sign of a pretty good summer if this isn't the best blockbuster of it (and I haven't seen MOS yet) 

• Like 1

Expectations is a vicious thing, it can turn a perfectly great movie into a disappointing one.

I gave it a B- the first time (almost a C+), and BAAM, 3 rewatches later, I give it a A-. Sure, the script is problematic and Cumber's performance is a bit misdirected, but that is not enough to offset its great qualities. A-/A (93)

Abrams is one of my favorite filmmakers

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

The delivery of the "My name is Khan" line was so bad that I think it may have unintentionally created a plot hole.

What was the purpose of keeping Khan's identity a secret in the first place?  He doesn't appear to have any history with Starfleet or Kirk.  The way he said the line was so drenched in "breaking the 4th wall" syndrome that he may as well have split the screen down the middle, walked out on stage and said "SEE AUDIENCE, I'M THAT GUY YOU ALL LIKE!!!"

• Like 1