baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

On 12/6/2022 at 9:56 AM, setna said:

Will be really hard to see again something like this, for sure, Titanic run was somthing that happens maybe once in 100 years, but, who knows, life is so wonderful because is full of surprises...
A succes like Titanic today, will be US 1.2 B China 1.5 B rest of the world 2.5 B, so, more than 4 B, soemthing really Titanesque..
In some days is the 25th anniversary of the release of the hit of the hits, long life to Cameron and this kind of runs!!!

Titanic is a mircle,is a movie break out everywhere you can’t even found a fucking one place that Titanic performence bad,that’s is power

And I noticed Titanic have huge influence in every country,even North Korea people cried for it,I heard leo going to the Africa jungle and little kids recongize his face,Kate going to the village in the Himalayas mountain and a 85 years old India man know who she is and say “thanks for your movie”,in Afghanistan(the place which even banned cinema when titanic release),Titanic become pop culture storm and in Afghanistan people even called the rice”Titanic” and wear the leo face T-shirt…

the movie’s popularity on peak is the beyond the movie itself ,I will say it’s more like…Coca cola’level popularity on its peak because it’s really everywhere

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bruce said:

Titanic is a mircle,is a movie break out everywhere you can’t even found a fucking one place that Titanic performence bad,that’s is power

And I noticed Titanic have huge influence in every country,even North Korea people cried for it,I heard leo going to the Africa jungle and little kids recongize his face,Kate going to the village in the Himalayas mountain and a 85 years old India man know who she is and say “thanks for your movie”,in Afghanistan(the place which even banned cinema when titanic release),Titanic become pop culture storm and in Afghanistan people even called the rice”Titanic” and wear the leo face T-shirt…

the movie’s popularity on peak is the beyond the movie itself ,I will say it’s more like…Coca cola’level popularity on its peak because it’s really everywhere

Yes, was something beyond movies, i´m agree that was something miraculous. 
Are very nice the stories you tell about the success worldwide, i knew something about in Afghanistan, that even being forbidden movies, Titanic was a phenomenon there, but the other stories i didn´t know but i am not totally suprised but is really cute to know.

I´ve read that a french couple about 80 years old, they were to theatres the first 20 weeknds of the release consecutively to watch it.
This movie  has so many beautiful stories around, that for this has this legendary status.

Also me have a nice story with this run, i´ve told it here before, but i tell you again.  

I was living in Madrid in 98 and i didn´t know much about internet and less about website focused in box office movies. I used to read a spanish magazine that monthly gave some short data about box office in Spain and USA. In that days of Titanic release, i discovered in a big store in the city centre, the american magazine Variety, where they update weekly the box office results.

It was possible to "read" for free the magazines in the shop, many people use to do it, especially the most expensive, and Variety was really expensive for me. 
SO every sunday, that was the day when they received it, i was there no matter was doing in that moment to the store to see the box office results of Titanic every week and i was really shocked with the minimum drops it had it. 
They were very exciting weeks and since then i became a box office follower, later i discovered BOM, like many more, and i continued until now, but for sure, my first and best love forever in box office will be this run.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 10:13 AM, redfirebird2008 said:

Never gonna see a domestic run like Titanic again. Here are the first 20 weeks in 2022 dollars. Absolute insanity for a movie to open above $100M in 7 days and still pull off a 20X multiplier from the opening weekend. 

2bfzC02.jpeg

76 million in week 9
45 in week 14

almost 10 in 20

...out from the world, out from all the worlds...

• Like 1

From THR: On Feb. 11, Paramount and 20th Century are rereleasing a remastered 3D version of Titanic in time for Valentine’s Day. The global reissue could whip up another $30 million to $40 million, which would increase the movie’s worldwide cume to $2.224 billion to $2.234 billion.

On 2/15/2017 at 3:20 PM, baumer said:

They came in droves to see the love story.  They came in droves to see Jack and Rose....not Leo and Kate.  There's no doubt that teenage girls made Titanic a lot of money.  It's also no doubt that it made a lot of money from all kinds of different age groups and demos.  I was 26 at the time and I saw it 6 times in the theatre.  Twice with my best male friend, once with my mom and my 80 year old gramma, twice with my girlfriend and once by myself so I could cry without anyone around.  This film transcended age, race, gender and everything else.  It was a true phenom.

Titanic is just a very good movie - and yes, I hated him back than, cos my GF had a big crush on him  ;)

But to be honest.: its a wonderful movie

1 hour ago, Jiffy said:

Was just thinking the other day how many the craziest accomplishment for Titanic is how its OS gross alone crushed the former WW record by like 35%. Probably WW record holder had not done something like that since GWTW at least?

Its very difficult to affirm it, cause pre-1982 there was almost no OS data, maybe some of the biggest countries in western Europe, Japan and Australia. 
Maybe Star Wars did it, but is impossible to know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, setna said:

Its very difficult to affirm it, cause pre-1982 there was almost no OS data, maybe some of the biggest countries in western Europe, Japan and Australia. 
Maybe Star Wars did it, but is impossible to know.

Star Wars isn’t beating Jaws in many OS market,especailly Asia and LATAM

On 2/22/2023 at 3:09 PM, setna said:

Do you have OS numbers for SW and Jaws?

One thing surprising to realize is BOM still having Jaws OS ($210m) over SW ($196m). Not sure how reliable or what SW gross was before the 97 re-release, but does seem like the Spielberg films played a bigger part in kicking the door in overseas (with Jaws -> E.T. -> JP).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jiffy said:

One thing surprising to realize is BOM still having Jaws OS ($210m) over SW ($196m). Not sure how reliable or what SW gross was before the 97 re-release, but does seem like the Spielberg films played a bigger part in kicking the door in overseas (with Jaws -> E.T. -> JP).

I think is more that only that movies had some data, because in European countries, some movies with the highest admits are Ben´Hur, Ten Commandments, SOund of Music and they are far older than Spielberg´s, so i think is more a question of lack of data.
Anyway, i think is not possible that Jaws was more succesful than Star wars...

8 minutes ago, setna said:

I think is more that only that movies had some data, because in European countries, some movies with the highest admits are Ben´Hur, Ten Commandments, SOund of Music and they are far older than Spielberg´s, so i think is more a question of lack of data.
Anyway, i think is not possible that Jaws was more succesful than Star wars...

in Asia and LA Jaws is more successful than SW,like in Singapore Jaws is the first movie cross SG$1m  at that time,in Brazil Jaws attract more than 13m people but SW less 30% of its admission,in Africa Jaws also breaking record.for sure SW is more popular in developed market.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr Roark said:

Titanic 25 made $60M. Really good especially OS (without even China).

Only Titanic could do this money, after 25 years, some re releases and being available in platforms since long time ago. The power of an unique moviegoing experience.
When will be its next release? Maybe for its 40 years, or when JC says goodbye to the industry, we´ll see, but it´s very probably that never again we can see a run like this anymore.

Recently read the book of America solider(likely),he write he talked with Kurd refugees from Iran ,Syria,Iraq..etc,he talked them about Hollywood movie,first he mentioned Steven Speilberg,nobody know who he is,then he mentioned Tom Cruise,still nobody knows,then he said How about Titanic,everyone stare him like watching a idiot,like he asked ‘do you know your parents name?’ He finally relized everybody know Titanic and every Kurd has seen the movie

He also wrote Rambo and Spider-Man are also popular with these refugees

• Like 1
  • Heart 1