baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

I think a success like Titanic is out of times, because attracted people from every corner of the world and also from very different ages.

I think this is very rare and even in these times of massive and short runs, a movie like Titanic also could have a very leggy run, because it was more than a "movie" it was cultural phenomenon worldwide, where people like me, we were 3 times to theatres, it was something very unique that mixed all the factors to make it an universal success and today i think it could make like 4 B easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I think that's my question; "could it" be the monster that it was in 97. In today's age of moviegoing, can a movie that doesn't open to something monstrous like 1.2B WW (ahem) even come close to 3B anymore?

IT is not necessarily easy because of all over the place the OW was and the Christmas teaming, but if we would double 2017 Jumanji legs and give it the biggest total of all time for an hollywood movie in China, how much would it have done ?, I would imagine that could be something like the theorical ceiling of a 40M OW domestic movie type.

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

I think that's my question; "could it" be the monster that it was in 97. In today's age of moviegoing, can a movie that doesn't open to something monstrous like 1.2B WW (ahem) even come close to 3B anymore?

I think it absolutely can. What you need is a movie that becomes an event and that everyone has to see (like Avatar, Titanic, Jurassic Park, Star Wars etc.). There just hasn't been a movie like that since. I didn't mention Endgame because I think it's a different animal. Endgame never had that element of next level spectacle everyone had to see, it was massively successful  because of a loyal fanbase it gathered over a decade of pumping out Marvel movies. Hence why you had the massive opening but the legs weren't impressive as much because it didn't reach strongly across every demographic (or every country). Some people seem to think that just because Endgame didn't have great legs, no movie can, I think that's bs. Make something that is truly unique and offers a next level experience and you'll get phenomenal legs.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 9:07 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

I guess not. Partly because the theatre life have become short and less people go to theatre across the world.

Regarding whether the story may work. In India, in 2018 we had a film, Kedarnath.

I haven't seen the film but heard & guessed it followed Titanic route.

This film had a okayish start but trended well and was an average success while before release trade thought it will bomb.

So I guess story will still hold value.

I guess it can easily do $500mn in NA today and $1.8-2Bn worldwide is possible. May be more if China breakout.

Watch Avatar. It will blow your mind 

Seen this movie 25 times, if not more.  Still cry at the disaster and when the music comes on and when she lets him go and when the frozen babies are in the water and when the old couple is on the bed together and most other places.  No film has ever or will ever affect me the way this one did.

• Like 7

On 5/10/2013 at 7:05 PM, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I wonder: will this come close to Independence Day? And woulsn't it be hilarious is the director of the Rock directed a Pearl Harbor love story?

😂

• Like 1

With social media? This would do utterly bonkers business. Young Leo's face + romance for women while action + destruction for men. 

IDK if it does whatever it inflation says it would do  but this would be a smash hit in any era. 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2020 at 2:52 AM, Barnack said:

That is a really hard question, but one line of reflexion you would have asked this in february message board in 1997:

Do you think Titanic or any movie can make 1.8 billion, I would imagine you would have laugh at, was Jurassic Park the only movie to have reached 1 billion at the time, if it did ? In 1996 the 800 million something run of Independance day was the second biggest of all time, not 50% of Titanic.

TITANIC was the first movie to cross $1b. JURASSIC PARK didn't cross $1b until its re-release. Its original gross was $913m IIRC.

• Like 3

Before Avatar 2 release I back to this thread to remeber the forever box office’s king of king .

we will probably never have any movie like this which popular among all country,all nation,all age,all class and have huge culture impact even today we can still feel its incredible influence

Janes Cameron is king of the world!

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 2:09 AM, Bruce said:

Before Avatar 2 release I back to this thread to remeber the forever box office’s king of king .

we will probably never have any mivie like this which popular among all country,all nation,all age,all class and have huge culture impact even today we can still feel its incredible influence

Janes Cameron is king of the world!

Will be really hard to see again something like this, for sure, Titanic run was somthing that happens maybe once in 100 years, but, who knows, life is so wonderful because is full of surprises...
A succes like Titanic today, will be US 1.2 B China 1.5 B rest of the world 2.5 B, so, more than 4 B, soemthing really Titanesque..
In some days is the 25th anniversary of the release of the hit of the hits, long life to Cameron and this kind of runs!!!