baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

3 hours ago, Jedi Jat said:

Ten years from now, one day, I gonna do a thread on Endgame. That will be fun.

Do you think it will be astonishing how many market that movie will not have ended up #1 (or even top 3) vs the previous WW record maker ? Or that it would have became the new norm ?

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

Do you think it will be astonishing how many market that movie will not have ended up #1 (or even top 3) vs the previous WW record maker ? Or that it would have became the new norm ?

It would have become a new norm, besides I doubt before Titanic & Avatar, JP or SW were biggest films in all markets. So it is a Norm even now. Titanic was truly magical and once in lifetime thing.

Edited by Jedi Jat
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jedi Jat said:

It would have become a new norm, besides I doubt before Titanic & Avatar, JP or SW were biggest films in all markets. So it is a Norm even now. Titanic was truly magical and once in lifetime thing.

Of course it was!

I have fallen out of love with Titanic and now merely like it. Prefer watching Night to Remember (Also the book is great and available online). The 1D characterisations and mawkish dialogues really stand out like a sore thumb. Have issues with accuracy too : Molly Brown's altercation in the lifeboat went differently and in the favour of the ladies - she wasn't shut up and defeated, reports of Captain Smith and Andrews both last seen in different places than indicated, Ismay's reality was also more grey than black and white as shown by Cameron even if not in his favour, completely skipped over Californian (there's 1 deleted scene about it but there's much more to it) which Night to Remember does well to address, the absurdity of look outs being distracted by Jack and Rose, etc.

The cinematography is fantastic and even before the disaster happens there are some breathtaking visuals.

• Haha 1

I found the other southeast asia box office for Titanic

singapore : first movie cross S6.5m in singapore,beat The Lost World:Jurassic Park

phippines:first movie cross P150m,200m,300m,350m

Thailand: first movie cross 200m

indonesia: first movie corss 3m admisssion

Malaysia:frist movie corss MYR10m in Malaysia ,and is the first movie cross 1m admission in malaysia

no data for vietnam

• Like 1

Still the greatest box office run ever IMHO. Modern enough that we know there was serious competition from cable TV and home video (can't say this for Star Wars '77, Gone With The Wind, etc) but Titanic is also old enough that it did not benefit from crazy expansion in places like China. It made almost $45M in China during a time when Hollywood films basically made $0. Titanic also did not benefit from anywhere near the ticket prices we've seen for other mega grossers in recent years. IMAX, PLF, 3D, etc. None of that shit was around in 1997-1998. 

I just wish I was old enough to be able to understand what was happening during that time. All I remember is the junior high girls around me freaking out about this movie, which led me to never see it in theaters. Wish I did see it on the big screen. Cameron never fails to deliver the spectacle. But 12 year old me was turned off by all the girls freaking out about the romance angle of the movie, and I'm pretty sure I had no clue that the Terminator guy was the director on this movie at the time.

I believe Spider-Man in 2002 was the first movie that really got me interested in box office tracking. I'm jealous of the folks that were able to follow Titanic in real time. It is a mindblowing run and we'll never see it again. It's a damn shame the BOM website is now ruined. The calendar view in particular is really great for an insane run like Titanic's. 

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1

The way I see it, the impressiveness of all the runs of the 2 billion dollar movies ranked:

Titanic

-Big gap

Endgame/Avatar

-Big gap

The Force Awakens

Infinity War

Also, when can we call Endgame a classic run lol?

Edited by infamous5445
  • Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:05 AM, a2k said:

I have fallen out of love with Titanic and now merely like it. Prefer watching Night to Remember (Also the book is great and available online). The 1D characterisations and mawkish dialogues really stand out like a sore thumb. Have issues with accuracy too : Molly Brown's altercation in the lifeboat went differently and in the favour of the ladies - she wasn't shut up and defeated, reports of Captain Smith and Andrews both last seen in different places than indicated, Ismay's reality was also more grey than black and white as shown by Cameron even if not in his favour, completely skipped over Californian (there's 1 deleted scene about it but there's much more to it) which Night to Remember does well to address, the absurdity of look outs being distracted by Jack and Rose, etc.

The cinematography is fantastic and even before the disaster happens there are some breathtaking visuals.

Titianic is a good movie, not a great one. To get really heretical, I now think LA Confidential was a better film and shold have won the Oscar that year.

And the 1958 "A Night To Remember" is the best Titanic movie ever made.

And the whole "Love Story Told Against the Background of a great historical event" has been done better. "Dr. Zhivago" and "Gone With The Wind' were better, for instance.

I wonder if Titanic would be quite as big a hit if released today, since Historical Dramas have fallen so much out of favor ...sadly, IMHO.

Edited by dudalb
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

On 1/29/2020 at 4:35 PM, dudalb said:

Titianic is a good movie, not a great one. To get really heretical, I now think LA Confidential was a better film and shold have won the Oscar that year.

And the whole "Love Story Told Against the Background of a great historical event" has been done better. "Dr. Zhivago" and "Gone With The Wind' were better, for instance.

I wonder if Titanic would be quite as big a hit if released today, since Historical Dramas have fallen so much out of favor ...sadly, IMHO.

So much contempt...

Is it? For one thing Titanic (1997) crushes ANTR in every technical department: much more faithful recreation of the ship and the sinking of it (the collision scene is downright laughable in the 58 movie), actual footage of the wreckage and used smartly in the movie, it's an overall much more immersive experience. Should we put that aside because the movie was made 4 decades earlier and the tech just wasn't there? I think that's no excuse, unless what you're saying is "it was better for the time", which is a different thing.

Maybe you think it makes up for it with other things like the script acting or other, I would like to know. Maybe it's better in a way if you're looking for a more dry documentary style approach without the love story in the way, but you're still missing out massively on the technical achievements of the 97 movie.

But I find that even some of the smaller stuff in ANTR just doesn't compete with Titanic. One of the key scene where they realize the ship will sink is so underwhelming in the 58 movie. There's no tension, no sense of impending doom, the ship architect sounds more like he's doing a casual school lesson to the captain rather than him being in a life or death situation:

Everything is better in Cameron's version, I think he's a little underrated when it comes to the smaller non-action scenes. The blocking, the acting, the camera movements, the long pauses before they say their line, it all makes for a much more tense scene.

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2020 at 6:41 AM, Alexdube said:

So much contempt...

Is it? For one thing Titanic (1997) crushes ANTR in every technical department: much more faithful recreation of the ship and the sinking of it (the collision scene is downright laughable in the 58 movie), actual footage of the wreckage and used smartly in the movie, it's an overall much more immersive experience. Should we put that aside because the movie was made 4 decades earlier and the tech just wasn't there? I think that's no excuse, unless what you're saying is "it was better for the time", which is a different thing.

Maybe you think it makes up for it with other things like the script acting or other, I would like to know. Maybe it's better in a way if you're looking for a more dry documentary style approach without the love story in the way, but you're still missing out massively on the technical achievements of the 97 movie.

But I find that even some of the smaller stuff in ANTR just doesn't compete with Titanic. One of the key scene where they realize the ship will sink is so underwhelming in the 58 movie. There's no tension, no sense of impending doom, the ship architect sounds more like he's doing a casual school lesson to the captain rather than him being in a life or death situation:

Everything is better in Cameron's version, I think he's a little underrated when it comes to the smaller non-action scenes. The blocking, the acting, the camera movements, the long pauses before they say their line, it all makes for a much more tense scene.

Titanic is the rare disaster film that put on so much of emotional weigh that make you realise every time when you heard death toll number being reported in the newspaper due to some disaster, they aren't just number. That number represent how much sorrow the survivors have to endure. The sense of loss beyond action-spectacle.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Titanic is the rare disaster film that put on so much of emotional weigh that make you realise every time when you heard death toll number being reported in the newspaper due to some disaster, they aren't just number. That number represent how much sorrow the survivors have to endure. The sense of loss beyond action-spectacle.  

I remember Cameron saying in an interview he didn't want Titanic to be labeled as a disaster movie. That can be debated, but to your point he did feel like he was doing something different from the typical disaster film.

This movie is so underrated (weird to say) but all the hype it got led to this backlash that I think never really went away. It truly is an awesome movie, a few lines of dialogue aside. Every criticism I have heard of the movie seems like it can be debated as an intentional move by Cameron which, I think, made the movie a lot better and more impactful.

I just wish I could have been around at the time to experience its box office run. Imagine if something today had an identical run with adjusted numbers (domestic and overseas). 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

This movie is so underrated (weird to say) but all the hype it got led to this backlash that I think never really went away. It truly is an awesome movie, a few lines of dialogue aside. Every criticism I have heard of the movie seems like it can be debated as an intentional move by Cameron which, I think, made the movie a lot better and more impactful.

I just wish I could have been around at the time to experience its box office run. Imagine if something today had an identical run with adjusted numbers (domestic and overseas). 

It definitely got its fair share of praise, being one of the top 3 movies with the most Oscars ever, but ironically also probably one of the most snubbed movie ever. A lot of people, I think, can't get passed the love story they view as overly sappy and they let it overshadow anything the movie does spectacularly well.

I also admittedly have issues with some of the dialogue, but it's mostly insignificant when I look at the whole

• Like 2

The movie suffered from its gigantic success. It debuted in Top15 on IMDb in 1998, but after the whole "biggest box office of all time! 11 Oscars! etc." people started to hate it from silly reasons. Somewhere in 2205 it drooped to 6.9/10 on IMDb, now Titanic has 7.8/10 (very impressive hump after 2012 re-release).

For me, this movie is one of the biggest cinema masterpieces. 4 stars, or 10/10, always maximum grade from me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Juby said:

The movie suffered from its gigantic success. It debuted in Top15 on IMDb in 1998, but after the whole "biggest box office of all time! 11 Oscars! etc." people started to hate it from silly reasons. Somewhere in 2205 it drooped to 6.9/10 on IMDb, now Titanic has 7.8/10 (very impressive hump after 2012 re-release).

It was in a way unavoidable. In early 00s where the internet was much smaller and its demographic much more young male heavy than it is today,  "Why Titanic actually sucks" was the granddaddy of all the tired movie related hot takes we see to this day. 

• Like 1