filmnerdjamie

Wednesday Numbers (05/15)(Trek 3.25M early IMAX+midnts, GG 3.9, IM3 3.8)

One thing I must add is that I like how the numbers were reported. I have no issue with previews when they are reported separate to midnights; it's just the stupid ones where they report previews+midnights all in one.

So it should do around 100M for the 4-day and around 270-290 domestic gross, based on these numbers?

No.  You can't project what it will gross in total based on one day.  

You have to wait for WOM, how much competition affects it and so on.  With a 80 mill 3 day, even a very optimistic 3 multiplier only gives it about 250 mill.  This won't touch 290.

• Like 2

It certainly isn't incredible, but considering I saw an ad Tuesday night that said "Opens Friday" and a Youtube ad (the most effective ads, nowadays) that said May 17th, it certainly isn't bad. 

I'm watching an NBA playoff game right now and the tv spot said in theaters May 17th. This is now, lol.

• Like 2

No. You can't project what it will gross in total based on one day. You have to wait for WOM, how much competition affects it and so on. With a 80 mill 3 day, even a very optimistic 3 multiplier only gives it about 250 mill. This won't touch 290.

You're right, thanks. But even with supposedly good WOM, we can rule out 300M, right? Edited by zenithtim

How is Gatsby going to have a higher opening than Trek?  trek is not opening to 50 mill for the three day.

You're right, thanks. But even with supposedly good WOM, we can rule out 300M, right?

Well, I guess anything is possible, but keep in mind, next weekend, you have two openers that will probably do 200 mill for the 4 day.  Trek is going to drop a lot next weekend.

You're right, thanks. But even with supposedly good WOM, we can rule out 300M, right?

Unlike 2009, there are two big films coming next weekend.

Last time ST had a weekend to breath. 

• Like 1

Unlike 2009, there are two big films coming next weekend.

Last time ST had a weekend to breath. 

Plus you have the first real family film of the season coming out next weekend.  That's 11,000 theaters playing three new movies.  Even if Epic only makes 20 mill, that's still about 200-225 mill.

Honestly, I'm not surprised STID could be sorta underperforming* compared to lofty expectations. The marketing is just not "getting over" at the level it should with audiences. There should be way more hype for a film's sequel that had that kind of WOM and the long 4 year wait(not to mention the great reviews). I think this could be a case of being too secretive about a film. Plus it just looks kinda "been there, done that". I should be more excited but I haven't been since the I saw the derivative first poster and heard about the unwieldy title.

Still, I'll  hopefully be seeing this tomorrow...

*250m+ instead of 300m+

• Like 3