baumer

Thurs Numbers STID 11.4 GG 3.4 IM3 3.3

KUNG FU PANDA 2 increased 125.7% on its first Friday from its muted Thursday opening day. If Trek did that from its preview-less opening day, it would have a 25.9m Friday and probably an 80m weekend (+20% Saturday, -26% Sunday), 93.5m 4.5-day. 

Good news for Trek is that I think families have seen Iron Man 3 already and this sci-fi action film will fit the bill. Bad news for Trek is that its only optimistic comparison is against an animated movie. Worse news for Trek is that it's facing competition in basically every demo next weekend and it really needed to get as much money as possible over these first few days. 

I really think 23-25 is likely today.

KUNG FU PANDA 2 increased 125.7% on its first Friday from its muted Thursday opening day. If Trek did that from its preview-less opening day, it would have a 25.9m Friday and probably an 80m weekend (+20% Saturday, -26% Sunday), 93.5m 4.5-day. 

Good news for Trek is that I think families have seen Iron Man 3 already and this sci-fi action film will fit the bill. Bad news for Trek is that its only optimistic comparison is against an animated movie. Worse news for Trek is that it's facing competition in basically every demo next weekend and it really needed to get as much money as possible over these first few days. 

I guess it comes down to the families, but this was marketed as a dark Star Trek movie (Star Trek: The Dark Knight if you will).  It's even called Star Trek Into Darkness.  Iron Man 3 had a much more colorful and adventurous marketing campaign.  StiD ads felt like you were going to see a revenge movie.  Not that that's a bad thing, it's just with Epic opening next week I don't know if the families are going to show up this weekend.  I still think that we need Friday numbers before a real meltdown though.

Edited by VanAuger32

Because awesome and mediocre are totally subjective terms? If STD is as good as IM3 I'd be ecstatic.

Iron Man is another in Marvel's bland assembly line of crap from no name directors. Shane Black is a decent writer but not exactly known for directing. And look who they have directing Captain America 2: two directors who know nothing about directing action sequences or big budget filmmaking in general. They pick directors who have no clout so they can push them around and focus group their movies into blandness.

Edited by Leatherface
  • Like 2

Iron Man is another in Marvel's bland assembly line of crap from no name directors. Shane Black is a decent writer but not exactly known for directing. And look who they have directing Captain America 2: two directors who know nothing about directing action sequences or big budget filmmaking in general.

Again, subjective. SUBJECTIVE. I love Shane Black's work, I always have. IM3 plays better as a sequel to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang than either IM2 or Avengers. And I love that James Gunn and Edgar Wright are about to be given the reigns to gigantic projects that will still feel like James Gunn and Edgar Wright movies.
  • Like 4

Again, subjective. SUBJECTIVE. I love Shane Black's work, I always have. IM3 plays better as a sequel to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang than either IM2 or Avengers. And I love that James Gunn and Edgar Wright are about to be given the reigns to gigantic projects that will still feel like James Gunn and Edgar Wright movies.

Not coincidentally, they are cheap hires who Marvel could lock out of editing if need be because they don't have final cut. Marvel would never have the guts to hire someone like Nolan and give him free reign.

And for those that think cheap doesn't play a part, look at how Marvel is handling the cast negotiations with the future films, threatening recasting and more.

Edited by Leatherface

Iron Man is another in Marvel's bland assembly line of crap from no name directors. Shane Black is a decent writer but not exactly known for directing. And look who they have directing Captain America 2: two directors who know nothing about directing action sequences or big budget filmmaking in general. They pick directors who have no clout so they can push them around and focus group their movies into blandness.

I'd honestly like to see what Anthony and Joe Russo bring to Captain America 2.  I just hope Kevin Feige doesn't interfere too much.

Honestly, that's pretty good if it pans out that way... But, even then, it's likely heading for less D than Trek did in '09. I genuinely expected $125M+ over the first 4.25 days. I'm hoping it sees HUGE increases today and the remainder of the weekend.

Not coincidentally, they are cheap hires who Marvel could lock out of editing if need be because they don't have final cut. Marvel would never have the guts to hire someone like Nolan and give him free reign.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Nolan was a cheap no-name when he was hired to direct Batman Begins

• Like 2

LOL. Are you having a meltdown because IM3 will make more than STiD?

• Like 8

Gah, why does this have to disappoint when it's a pretty awesome movie while Iron Man 3 rakes in the cash and is another mediocre entry after the good first one?

To each his own, pal. While I enjoyed Trek 2, I enjoyed Iron Man 3 plenty more... Just seemed more fresh with the quick banter, self-aware script, hokey terrorism satire and abrupt shifts in narrative. I felt Trek 2 fun but run of the mill in just about every way imaginable. Passable blockbuster entertainment. Didn't take a single risk.

And, while I like Abrams as a director, I'm not too keen on his pal Damon Lindelof penning just about every big picture he directs these days. Pretty lame screenwriter. Hopefully he doesn't bury Star Wars with his nonsense and allows JJ some room to breathe life back into that franchise.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer