druv10

Wednesday: Hangover 3 ($3.1m Wed+Thu sneaks), STID 5.3M, TGG 2.3M, IM3 2.2M

• Founder / Operator

I'm amazed to be in the minority finding STID hugely disappointing. The script is Transformers 2 levels of crap. For some reason Abrams was able to reign in Kurtzman and Orci for the first movie and it's like he just didn't care to here. 

The performance is stellar. I always had faith in Cumberbatch. The character is totally one-note, lacks any discernable motivation, and his ultimate fate in the movie is just kind of pathetic. 

This is, of course, totally my opinion. If you had fun with the movie, good for you, man! 

I'm liking your post for these parts in bold... BUT THAT'S IT.

:P

• Like 3

Neither ST nor STID have Oscar scripts, they are just a lot of fun, just like "The Avengers".

ST came as a surprise in 2009, even though in my opinion had a weaker villain, than STID.

STIDs problem is, that the surprise is gone now and people seem to have a closer look.

To me, both are more or less the same: Just 2 hours of fun without stupid plot holes and very fast paced.

Edited by Poseidon

The performances in Trek are far more engaging, the action is far better shot, and there are some one-liners that actually work. Doesn't make the plot mechanics in Trek any smarter than TF2's. 

I'd be deathly afraid of what Orci and Kurtzman will do to Spiderman if I had any stake in that sequel. 

Edited by Gopher

Not even being fanboys here, but both of STID's "villains"

(Khan and Weller)

were better (as in they felt like bigger threats) than IM3's "villains" (Killian and Mandarin) in sheer threat, IMO.

What threat?  I didn't find Cumberbatch threatening at all.  

To me, anytime the hero and villain team up, I can't buy that villain as the big bad anymore.  He loses any real threat that he/she may have built up.

I would really suggest watching Transformers 2 again if you thought Trek was anywhere nearly as stupid or outright offensive as it. The twins, the roommate, the Decepticon balls... GOD I'm getting angry just typing this out.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen caters so agressively to the lowest common denominator and so effectively so that I own it on BluRay and laugh uproariously throughout every rewatch. I'd sooner revisit that in theaters, if possible, before catching Into Darkness a second time. That brazen pair of Decepticon testicles dangling about's something I'll remember more than any one moment in Trek 2... So, lay off Bay. The only other Bay flick I own... Bad Boys II. The outright, unmitigated, unrivaled stupidy renders an unforgettable moviegoing experience. They're both really loud too.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

What threat?  I didn't find Cumberbatch threatening at all.  

To me, anytime the hero and villain team up, I can't buy that villain as the big bad anymore.  He loses any real threat that he/she may have built up.

I ididn`t find him threatening the moment he revelaed

that marcus is the villain above him.

Also, lets stop pretending that Cumber performance was some groundbreaking OMG iconic Oscar worthy role for ages. It wa s solid perforemnce in a seriously underwritten role but the way his fans talk about it makes him alreayd more overrated than Bardem who was seriously overrated last year in a much meatier role (albeit derivative of The Joker).

Trek has problems, the handling of the villain being the biggest flaw. I still enjoyed it, although days later I can't say it's a particularly memorable movie. I'm already having trouble recalling certain parts.

• Founder / Operator

I would really suggest watching Transformers 2 again if you thought Trek was anywhere nearly as stupid or outright offensive as it. The twins, the roommate, the Decepticon balls... GOD I'm getting angry just typing this out.

It's one of the most poorly crafted blockbuster movies I've ever seen (TF2), but it's such a guilty pleasure for me.

• Like 2

142% above HNOV1

-56% bekiw HNOV2

-13% below TED

68% above Identity Theif

It weird how different a matinee performance is for similar movies. This is also less than half of Trek's matinee.

Which doesn't seem to suggest it earning 20M today.

142% above HNOV1

-56% bekiw HNOV2

-13% below TED

68% above Identity Theif

It weird how different a matinee performance is for similar movies. This is also less than half of Trek's matinee.

Actually, scratch what I said here. I didn't take into account that Hangover 3's business will fall big time compared to the Friday openers there, for obvious reasons. Don't think this is pointing towards much more than $10m, honestly.

^ Not that I'm encouraging the movie to do well, but the hangover series has always been a late night movie. It'll probably just go over or under 20m today including the previews/midnights.

^ Not that I'm encouraging the movie to do well, but the hangover series has always been a late night movie. It'll probably just go over or under 20m today including the previews/midnights.

It isn't really the most encouraging of signs, though, that its predecessor, being the most direct comparison without being entirely comparable due to certain factors, was making more than twice this one in matinees at this point.