ChD

Best movie taste

But Gopher thinks The Master is a masterpiece ...

The Master wasn't a masterpiece but it was still pretty damn close to one. I think I had it #11 or something like that in my rankings for last year. 

I like superhero movies and animated movies and big sci-fi flicks.

Obviously disqualified. :P

Also, that Film Crit Hulk guy is always right.

Don't be ridiculous. 

I think that from last year, the best BP nominees were Django and Les Miserables... Maybe SLP at some level.

I read this and I was like: :P

Django.... Ok, I didn't like the movie very much but I can see why it works and people really love it. 

Les Miserables..... Amazing, you really have great taste. 

SLP.... Huh? WTF? Really?

I read this and I was like: :P

Django.... Ok, I didn't like the movie very much but I can see why it works and people really love it. 

Les Miserables..... Amazing, you really have great taste. 

SLP.... Huh? WTF? Really?

Let's just say I'm a big fan of Coopers. That's what put that movie so high. Same for Django with DiCaprio and Waltz.

Edited by ChD

Gopher's love of the Master is the reason I dropped his taste a little bit on my rankings, and same with acsc. Two brilliant guys, but that movie was a pointless, pretentious crock that represents everything wrong with "arthouse" type films, so yea....

Anyway, I really don't like the Master, guys

I've seen The Master four times. Twice in theaters, twice on Blu-Ray. If it's really pointless, pretentious crock, then I've been wasting my time, haven't I?  ;)

I see greatness in almost every frame of that film. Not just the "look at the luscious cinematography and the impeccable sound work" brilliance, rather the "I am in tears watching Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman act right now, they're so compelling" sort of brilliance. Listen to some episodes of the podcast to understand where Andrew and I come from on this. It's a film we both truly love. 

Anyway, taste is irrelevant to me. Sure, I tend to like a lot of the same stuff as Omega Boner, but when I hate a movie baumer loves, the conversation will be just as interesting. I don't care if you like a movie or not. I want to know what you thought about a movie. If I can have an engaging, productive discussion with you about its merits/flaws, then your opinion is just as valid as mine. If you didn't like The Master, then talk to me in specifics about what didn't work for you and why. Before you know it, we'll be having fun.  :)

Nobody.

Given the taste and preferences I have, there are certain posters whose opinions I will consider more informative than others without having seen the movie myself. And after seeing the movie for myself, I may or may not agree with what they have to say. I'm more interested in reading why they think what they think than in a grade.

And at the end of the day, you bring yourself into your thoughts on a movie, even if only on a subconscious level. The way we respond to art can get very personal and very individual (and often does), so it's difficult for me to really bash someone for their taste for that reason. (Bashing the movie itself, on the other hand, might be another story.)

I've seen The Master four times. Twice in theaters, twice on Blu-Ray. If it's really pointless, pretentious crock, then I've been wasting my time, haven't I?  ;)

I see greatness in almost every frame of that film. Not just the "look at the luscious cinematography and the impeccable sound work" brilliance, rather the "I am in tears watching Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman act right now, they're so compelling" sort of brilliance. Listen to some episodes of the podcast to understand where Andrew and I come from on this. It's a film we both truly love. 

Anyway, taste is irrelevant to me. Sure, I tend to like a lot of the same stuff as Omega Boner, but when I hate a movie baumer loves, the conversation will be just as interesting. I don't care if you like a movie or not. I want to know what you thought about a movie. If I can have an engaging, productive discussion with you about its merits/flaws, then your opinion is just as valid as mine. If you didn't like The Master, then talk to me in specifics about what didn't work for you and why. Before you know it, we'll be having fun.  :)

This is something too many users on this site doesn't realize, whether we are talking movies, news or the unmentionable names....amd it would make much better discussion.

Agreed with the last part completely! I'd love to talk about it. I was just ribbing you and acsc/Coolio because you guys loved it so much. I fully disagree, but to each their own