filmnerdjamie

Thursday Numbers (05/30)

IMO Smith is still huge as he is able to draw attention to films that with normal actors would do far worse.IMO if he stared in a very good film it would do quite well.

Very true-put most other actors in this and it be lucky to open at 15M

As one comment said about Hancock "If any other actor starred in an original superhero film it probably open in January"

• Founder / Operator

Was it though?MIB2 made $190m domesticMIB3 made $179m domestic and after a solid span of time from the sequel + the delayed shooting/script rewrite fiasco I'd say it did pretty good all things being equal. Factor in it's WW numbers and I just don't line up that this is a corollary. If MIB 3 had barely cracked $100m or not at all your theory would not be in question.

You guys take things way too literally. I said "warning sign". :lol:That said, MIB3 lost a massive portion of 2's audience. Let's not spin its run for anything more than what it was: a very modest opening with good legs. Inflation makes it compare well with MIB2 in terms of gross, but its not an accurate reflection of how Smith's drawing power finally started to decline a bit after being invincible for so many years.That was my point about it being a warning sign. If his premiere franchise couldn't hold up and open to 60m with 3D and minimal competition, how was an original movie from MNS (in which he isn't even the main star) supposed to appeal on the weekend following the busiest Memorial Day in history? Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

You guys take things way too literally. I said "warning sign". :lol:That said, MIB3 lost a massive portion of 2's audience. Let's not spin its run for anything more than what it was: a very modest opening with good legs. Inflation makes it compare well with MIB2 in terms of gross, but its not an accurate reflection of how Smith's drawing power finally started to decline a bit after being invincible for so many years.That was my point about it being a warning sign. If his premiere franchise couldn't hold up with minimal competition, how was an original movie from MNS (in which he isn't even the main star) supposed to appeal on the weekend following the busiest Memorial Day in history?

Actually there was quite a bit of competition for Mib 3 as well as the fact it had underwhelming trailers

Even with it falling hard fast six is heading to 230 million...it should make another 100 million from this Friday I think... Fast five did with no summer and lower numbers going in.

Edited by Lordmandeep

I think the era of Box Office stardom is finally over. Will Smith was the last man standing primarily because he didn't make any original  movies in the past 5-6 years. There is no actor/actress who can guarantee a big opening any more.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Avengers which was still dominating. (some wondered if Mib 3 would even be number 1 that weekend) Snow White, Prometheus and Madagascar 3

It was one of the weakest Mays in modern history. Avengers was big, but it was in its 4th week. Had MIB3 opened on May 11, then maybe Avengers would be a valid excuse.Those other 3 films you mentioned hadn't even released yet. MIB3's newest competition was Dark Shadows and Battleship. ;) Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

I think the era of Box Office stardom is finally over. Will Smith was the last man standing primarily because he didn't make any original  movies in the past 5-6 years. There is no actor/actress who can guarantee a big opening any more.

Channing Tatum will prove his worth as such with White House Down.

Men in Black II Domestic:  $190,418,803  43.1%Foreign:  $251,400,000  56.9% = Worldwide:  $441,818,803   MIB 3Domestic:  $179,020,854  28.7%Foreign:  $445,005,922  71.3% = Worldwide:  $624,026,776    He lost his drawing power?

It's called 10 years of inflation and 3D; which much more popular OS than DOM. Also, the attendance isn't even close.

Huh so what is the AE number, I don't see it?

NYSM got $1.5M and AE got $1M.

Of course, NYSM had earlier shows and more showtimes, while AE might play better with the weekend family crowd.

Channing Tatum will prove his worth as such with White House Down.

Channing Tatum has no star power in the overseas market and unless WHD makes $200 million I am not going to get on Tatum bandwagon either. His only breakout movies (over-performers) are Jump Street and Magic Mike. Both were good movies with good WOM and he had help in terms of co-stars. Box Office superstars like Smith, Tom Cruise, Arnie etc. never needed any suhc help when they opened movies to huge numbers.