#ED

Weekend Estimate #s FF6: 34.5 NYSM 27.8 AE: 27.3 TH3: 15.9

Top 2014 SUMMER movies DOM:

#1 TASM 2 350M

#2 HTTYD2 310M

#3 DOFP 300M

#4 FF7 260M

#5 TF4 240M

Unless TASM2 benefits from Avengers I dont see it making that much. I think Good Dinosaur wins the summer next time around. Pixar original about dinosaur is a sure shot blockbuster. DOFP should be huge with original XMen and Fassbender. I think Fast 7 decreases from this one. Even Fast 6 is not going to make that much more than Fast 5. The franchise has peaked for sure. TF4 could make 300M. Franchise has a built in fan base who will come back for sure.

I agree that it's a great release date and TASM2 has the potential to increase to the $300M range, but there's one movie people are forgetting: Captain America The Winter Soldier. That movie opens just a month before TASM2, and if it turns out to be huge, it will steal a lot of thunder from TASM2. Not only because it will be a big movie, but it will be able to take credit for being the first big superhero movie of the year.

On the other hand, there's a chance that CATWS will be a much more serious "political thriller" as some people have described it. If it has a much more serious tone, then perhaps Spidey could be good counter marketing for it, if TASM2 ads are full of big bright shiny action set pieces and a bunch of funny Spidey-quips.

Cap AM 2 will do great for sure. Its mini avengers considering there are multiple folks from avengers. That will limit next spidey potential.

• Like 1

good release date and improvement in quality.

It doesn't even need improvement, if it stays on par then 300M should happen. Competition is no where near 2013 level. Sometimes I've to wonder what the hell was going through the minds of studios to put so many tentpoles in one month and add in TGG, you have blood bath. Realistically speaking IM3 and TGG are the only ones to overperform while rest were either about expectations or underperformed badly, hopefully studios have learned for the future.

Edited by druv10

I agree that it's a great release date and TASM2 has the potential to increase to the $300M range, but there's one movie people are forgetting: Captain America The Winter Soldier. That movie opens just a month before TASM2, and if it turns out to be huge, it will steal a lot of thunder from TASM2. Not only because it will be a big movie, but it will be able to take credit for being the first big superhero movie of the year.

On the other hand, there's a chance that CATWS will be a much more serious "political thriller" as some people have described it. If it has a much more serious tone, then perhaps Spidey could be good counter marketing for it, if TASM2 ads are full of big bright shiny action set pieces and a bunch of funny Spidey-quips.

If TDKR can reach near 450 m being released 17 days after ASM then ASM2 will be fine a month after Cap 2.

Edited by grey ghost

Unless TASM2 benefits from Avengers I dont see it making that much. I think Good Dinosaur wins the summer next time around. Pixar original about dinosaur is a sure shot blockbuster. DOFP should be huge with original XMen and Fassbender. I think Fast 7 decreases from this one. Even Fast 6 is not going to make that much more than Fast 5. The franchise has peaked for sure. TF4 could make 300M. Franchise has a built in fan base who will come back for sure.

X-Men won't be huge. Limited ceiling.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is gonna be next year's Star Trek Into Darkness in terms of domestic box office. I'm gonna stick with that no matter how many people tell me I'm wrong. :lol:

I'll back you up on that one 

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is gonna be next year's Star Trek Into Darkness in terms of domestic box office. I'm gonna stick with that no matter how many people tell me I'm wrong. :lol:

not at all similar. Most people seem to be against ASM 2

Cap 2 opens one month before ASM 2. 

Didn't I say that?

I guess but I don't see why it would hurt it. Also, I personally believe Cap 2 will get the least amount of Avengers affect since it is coming two years later and I think to most people is one of the more less interesting characters

You're hatred for ASM won't necessarily translate to box office reality.

ASM2 has a great release date, more dramatically/visually interesting villains than The Lizard, NO ORIGIN STORY to bitch about, way better costume, first summer event status, bigger target market than Trek 2, four quadrant potential, etc.

It ain't dropping.

• Like 3