Dementeleus

Only God Forgives (2013)

Only God Forgives (2013)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Garbage. Just fucking awful, man. Hahah, I'm really looking forward to seeing some of our more cultured film aficionados to dig layers of supposed subtext out of this crock of shit. Yeah, its beautifully shot and the soundtrack is cool, but when you dont give a crap about whats happening and your nonsensical 90 minute movie seems to go on for five hours, looking pretty just isn't enough. 1,5/5

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

Garbage. Just fucking awful, man. Hahah, I'm really looking forward to seeing some of our more cultured film aficionados to dig layers of supposed subtext out of this crock of shit. Yeah, its beautifully shot and the soundtrack is cool, but when you dont give a crap about whats happening and your nonsensical 90 minute movie seems to go on for five hours, looking pretty just isn't enough.1,5/5

That's pretty much how I felt about Drive.

Garbage. Just fucking awful, man. Hahah, I'm really looking forward to seeing some of our more cultured film aficionados to dig layers of supposed subtext out of this crock of shit. Yeah, its beautifully shot and the soundtrack is cool, but when you dont give a crap about whats happening and your nonsensical 90 minute movie seems to go on for five hours, looking pretty just isn't enough.1,5/5

To be fair you aren't the best bellweather for forum taste :ph34r:

• Like 4

Every review should compare it to Drive and also give their score for that...cause I love Drive so if this is similar to that I can't wait. But so far reviews have been shitting on this bad so my hype is quite down :/

Edited by FTF
  • Like 1

Ummmmmmm........It was just really awkward to watch this movie. There really was no point, and it was just moving along to random pieces that try to fit together to form a story. The cinematography was great, and there were a few scenes that had great potential, but ehhhh. Too over the top and borderline pretentious. Gratuitous to say the least.

C-

I am really looking forward to this, despite the bad reviews. I think people may be unfairly comparing this to Drive, since that was a departure from his previous work, while this seems to be more in line with Valhalla Rising. I try to shift my theater priorities toward smaller releases, and I'll hopefully be able to check this out on Sunday, since I will be near the lone theater in my county showing it. Critics calling one of the worst things they've ever seen really need some perspective, regardless of how frustrating it may be for some. Beautiful cinematography and Ryan Gosling's face should be enough to distinguish it from Pluto Nash and Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Edited by JonnyCraig

I still am not sure if I actually liked the film or not but I enjoyed watching it.  If that in any way makes sense.  Drive is one of my all-time favorite movies and Gosling is probably my favorite actor.  He can say more with a stony face that most actors can with 5 minutes of dialogue.  I thought the cinematography was brilliant and some of the color schemes in the setting were hypnotic.  The overall plot was pretty straight forward and I think the script is kind of the only thing in the film that brings it down.  Like in Drive, Refn uses silence as a motif and I think it attests to his greatness for making these kind of art house films.  But here, it can at time feel like the story is going nowhere. I didn't quite understand 

(the scenes where the officer was singing. I'm sure it was some kind of symbolism but I just didn't know what to make of it or what it was emphasizing)

Cliff Martinez score is still good but it in no way touches the Drive Soundtrack.  Overall, I would recommend it just because it's such a different experience from almost anything else out there.  I really need to see this again but I think if I had to give it a grade I would say B-/B.

Edited by RyneOh1040

A film that not only resists easy interpretation but any interpretation at all. A decently pretty, occasionally interesting tone poem that gains momentum way too late. Gosling looks bored throughout.C

Awwwwwww. I feel so alone on this.  :lol: