Heretic

Deathly Hallows: Part 1 Vs The Hobbit

25 members have voted

1. 1. DH1 or TH1?

• DH1
    • TH1

Which one do you prefer? I'm a massive Potter and LOTR fan, but, for me, DH1 is the best of the franchise (Although it remains quite divisive among audiences), whereas TH1 is weaker than all the LOTR films. So I pick DH1. 

Deathly Hallows is my favorite Harry Potter movie. It's simply well done, despite the lack of action (I'm not a crazy action fan, so I can live with it). The Hobbit was entertaining, had some comedy and things such as, but the fact that I'm a big Potter fan makes the difference. Nonetheless, Hobbit was very entertaining and it was a good movie in my eyes, despite some saying it was 'dragged out'. I think it was just fine what Peter Jackson did.

So, Deathly Hallows 1 all the way.

DH1 is the best Potter film. Strongly acted, beautifully filmed, and its biggest success is making us care so much for the trio. It's the most satisfying film in the series for me without question.

TH1 is dull and bloated, and much of the film looks like a cartoon (and sometimes it looks gorgeous). You just can't give a crap about any of the characters, and there's no sense of danger at all. It feels so childish. However, the scenes with Galadriel are great, and the eagles' scene is hauntingly beautiful. 

One criticism both films received was dragging. DH1, the camping scenes (although for me they didn't drag at all, I actually really enjoyed the rawness of them) and for The Hobbit, well, pretty much the whole flm.

DH1 imo.That film is actually one of my favourite ones among the Potters, still remember seeing it at the cinema, which I enjoyed immensely.OTOH as much as I love LOTR and as big of a fan I am, I still can't get over at how disappointing TH1 was, by LOTR standards of course, since I'd say it's a decent movie but it still pales in comparision to its predecessors. It doesn't stand well against DH1 either, so I'll say that Potter is better.

Which do you prefer?

It's not a matter of preference, but of directly comparing two films that are very different in purpose. It's essentially comparing Sorcerer's Stone to the first half of the ROTK Extended Edition.

DH1 is better than the Hobbit Part 1, but the two should only be compared as part of an overall ranking of the franchise outings, not in a direct competition since one is the opening expository entry for a trilogy and the other is a truncated first half of a finale.

Edited by 4815162342