#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

SUNDAY AM, 8TH UPDATEWarner Bros’ and Legendary Pictures’ Man Of Steel (4,207 theaters with 3D in 3,357 venues) grossed $44M in North America on Friday (including the $9M from midnights) and -18% for $36.1M Saturday (excluding those $12M from Thursday 7 PM Wal-Mart shows. Pic was light on all-time records. But, even with a longish running time of two hours and 23 minutes, the Chris Nolan-Zack Snyder-David S. Goyer-Henry Cavill PG-13 tentpole set a new June best-ever opening weekend record. It was the 2nd best debut of 2013 behind only Disney/Marvel’s Iron Man 3. ”It beat all expectations,” a Warner Bros executive tells me. “Interesting note that Superman’s Saturday gross is double the next ranking Top 4 films added together. That’s reallydominating the marketplace.” Estimates now for the 3-day weekend are $113M and the 4-day opening cume is $125.1M including Thursday. As for Sunday, “always an upside to consider with a huge Father’s Day result,” Warner Bros President, Domestic Distribution, Dan Fellman tells me. Saturday’s number followed very strong matinees – the same as opening day at $15.5M. Sunday also will bring an updated international figure which currently stands at $25.9M. Playing on 331 domestic IMAX screens, Man Of Steel delivered $13.3M, a record opening for a June release andwas 12% of the weekend take.

• Like 1

I love how Nikki always has to get some kind of little jab in there when she reports on these movies, LOL

"Pic was light on all-time records."

Yea, no shit Nikki. I don't think anyone expected it to be setting any all-time records. Gotta love her.

• Like 1

I guess it'll depend on the contract. All the DC movies will remain with WB regardless. PR maybe can move if its a success. Just wondering though since WB is the distributor are they fully responsible for the marketing of PR?

I think WB are responsible for marketing bit like Fox and DWA. As for films they've done together, when DreamWorks split from Paramount, Paramount kept Transformers and Meet the Parents so it's possible that WB will keep non DC films like PR

Is this going to be a new Nikki-ism? "Light on all-time records." I don't know if this makes the cut, and it is a little late, but atleast she gave us something.

Yeah, I mean ... it only beat the June record ... what the fuck. :P  This is an amazing opening. :D

Again, as I mentioned, with Walmart sales, BTC would have been spot on if they stuck to their guns. (Although without WM, I would likely see it reaching 118-120, not 125.

Edited by agkman

Internationally, Warner Bros says Man Of Steel is ranking #1 everywhere with a gross of $17.6M from 9,710 screens in the 24 overseas markets in release. The running cume from abroad is now $25.9M. Key markets that opened this weekend were the UK, Korea, and Mexico. The UK pulled in £3.3M ($5.2M) from 574 situations, dominating the market with a 70% share and ranking as the biggest opening day in 2013 – +11% bigger even than Iron Man 3. Mexico grossed an estimated Ps. 35.7M ($2.8M) from 2,600 screens, and, like the UK, garnered a 70% share of the market. Its Friday opening ranks as the 3rd biggest opening for a WB film. Korea continues to rank #1 with a 50% share of the Top 5 films nationwide and KRW 1.8M ($1.6M) from 990 screens, bringing the two-day tally to KRW 3.2M ($2.8M). Other notable cumes are The Philippines $2.9M (had biggest all-time industry opening day), Taiwan $1.5M (had biggest WB opening day ever), UAE $1.3M, Malaysia $1.3M.