#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

Walmart really paid the "price" for that one. :lol:

Except it's not a zero-sum game for them. Promoting MOS tickets on sale is a way to drive consumers to their stores, and once inside, you can usually sidesell/upsell them on other items. So I bet they're fairly happy overall.

• Like 1

Not bad but really, this would've been more impressive without all the WALMART stuff.. It feels like this was the only way to sell the movie was the use of WALMART.. So when John Carter 2 comes out, can we use WALMART to sell that movie or what???

You can do better than that.
  • Like 5

Except it's not a zero-sum game for them. Promoting MOS tickets on sale is a way to drive consumers to their stores, and once inside, you can usually sidesell/upsell them on other items. So I bet they're fairly happy overall.

Well at least they can repackage the unsold tickets into toiler paper? <_<

• Like 1

lol I would not draw national numbers from that but I am thinking in the future.

A movie has a 10 million deal from X company, and lets say only 25% of tickets are sold.

It Opens to 125 million total

But it got a 7.5 million free boost.

Now in reality such deals will not become common place unless the companies make a buck off such a deal.

Not bad but really, this would've been more impressive without all the WALMART stuff.. It feels like this was the only way to sell the movie was the use of WALMART.. So when John Carter 2 comes out, can we use WALMART to sell that movie or what???

It's really impressive all the way around, BKB. There's no way to spin it otherwise.

• Like 4

I wonder if this will happen again.

I think the only way to tell is to look at the Sat Drop.

The only way to tell is to wait and see if any other large retailers do it again. Walmart didn't do it because they wanted their customers to buy movie tickets, they did it because they wanted to drive traffic into their stores. If the loss (possible loss?) they took on the tickets was outweighed by profit on the additional merchandise they sold, they may well do it again.

• Like 1

You think? Using NotFabio's theater chain, Wal-Mart tickets sold would be around $2.7m total. They shelled out $12m for it, so a loss of over $9m. Do you think the customers who bought the $2.7m worth of tickets ended up spending more than $9m on other stuff at Wal-Mart?

• Like 1

Walmart is the #1 retailer in America. They don't need help selling a thing, lol.

But whatevs!

Edited by ECSTASY

You think? Using NotFabio's theater chain, Wal-Mart tickets sold would be around $2.7m total. They shelled out $12m for it, so a loss of over $9m. Do you think the customers who bought the $2.7m worth of tickets ended up spending more than $9m on other stuff at Wal-Mart?

That's some crazy wild extrapolation. It's simply not possible to garner any sort of estimate as to what Walmart's net was.

• Like 1

Thor Dark World will do McDonald's previews

Catching Fire will do IBM previews

Hobbit: DoS will do Apple previews

No to IBM and Apple there is not enough stores. IBM does not have any stores

I see this happening

Thor: DW Target previews

Catching Fire Barnes and Noble Previews

Hobbit Walmart previews.

seriously!

How crazy is it to claim that a theater does "nothing".

Exactly. They build theaters, they hire employees, they buy equipments and they consume powers/waters to screen movies for audience. They are the terminals of the movie industry that must exsit.