Jandrew

Sunday/Wknd #'s, MU 23-24/82, WWZ 17-18/66, MoS 11.7-12.3/41.2, TITE 13, NYSM 7.8 BOM, RTH

So you dont agree if this wasn't supposed to be a disaster the 66 number would be looked at differently?

Looked at differently by whom? Box office pundits, GA, Industry Professionals?

Not to me because I don't care about the bad buzz around the film. I never even heard about the mess until this weekend. I can only go by the context of these forums. The majority of the posters had already written it off and didn't think it had a chance of beating MOS for the weekend. It absolutely smashed MOS 2nd weekend by 25m, leaving MOS a distant 3rd.  So really, that's how I look at the 66m. When I look at it in terms of its budget, it has a long way to go but it has a great chance to be a success. I saw the film I liked it. Where it goes from here I don't know.

• Like 3

This weekend just destroyed last weekends June record.  Wow. 

Row Rank Weekend Date / Wknd # Top 12 Gross Theaters / Avg. New

Movies

#1 Movie Gross % of Total 1 8 Jun. 21–23, 2013 25 $230,552,000 29,363 $7,852 2 Monsters University $82,000,000 35.6% 2 18 Jun. 14–16, 2013 24 $197,411,411 32,348 $6,103 2 Man of Steel $116,619,362 59.1%

Toldja

WWZ is the biggest opener of Brad Pitt's career by far, second biggest non-#1 debut, and it's already the fourth highest grossing zombie flick ever.

Regardless of the budget, there is zero reason to have expected this to open any higher. And I guarantee you there are some films with $200+m budgets that wished they had an opening this big.

Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 3

WWZ is the biggest opener of Brad Pitt's career by far, second biggest non-#1 debut, and it's already the fourth highest grossing zombie flick ever.

Regardless of the budget, there is zero reason to have expected this to open any higher. And I guarantee you there are some films with $200+m budgets that wished they had an opening this big.

Basically this guy's movies...

Posted Image

Edited by #MrPink of Steel
  • Like 9

Agree

Excellent Post.

Interesting. I wonder how that holds though as time goes on. Much has changed since 2006 that I would have assumed the comparison wouldn't hold up this long.

And with the Wednesday launch for Returns, how does that work out? Just curious.

Just comparing first Monday to first Monday, and from that point forward. 

Another movie which I am comparing to MoS is "The Hunger Games". Weirdly enough, this comparison has actually held. THG fell 72% on Friday, increased 32%, dropped 38% on its second weekend. MoS fell 71%, increased 29%, dropped 25%. Only have 3 data points from the THG comparison though, will wait a week to see if it fits.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1