baumer

Despicable Me 2 (2013)

40 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Really liked it overall, but I'm not sure how it compares to the first one. I think I liked that one a bit better, but it is hard to tell. I didn't mind the romance elements in this one, but I think I might prefer the first one because of the developing relationship between Gru and the girls. This film did a good job with that as well, but there simply wasn't as much ground to cover.

However, I did think this one was a little funnier, even if it wasn't a "clever" funny. I loved El Macho, and the chicken was hilarious, as were the minions (and of course Gru). Lucy took a little time to grow on me, but I came to like her character as well.

The animation was really well done, and it had a delightful score/soundtrack, even if not particularly memorable. 

Overall a really solid film, but I think I'd give Monsters University the edge as far as animated flicks go this summer. Would get an 8/10 or so from me.

For me, the first movie had its fits of imagination but the pace was too slow and the story didn't feel like anything I hadn't seen before. The second one pretty much ramps up everything I dug in the first: more Agnes, more Minions, and more funny. It feels directionless at times and the story is pretty much nonexistent- that doctor character pretty much serves where ever the story needs him to be- and unlike MU, I rarely felt invested in the stakes of what was going on. But the movie totally understands what makes these characters work and just rolls with it. I had a blast. 

Bring on Minions... NOW. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

As someone who enjoyed the first well enough, I didn't care much for this one. This very much felt like a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" kind of film. For every decent gag or surprisingly creative visual, I was bored for at least five minutes in between. The story wasn't good and neither were any of the new characters. I was particularly disappointed that Lucy, who's introduced as a capable match for Gru, ends up being some sort of unfunny fangirl/newbie damsel in distress by the end. The lame Margot and Agnes subplots weren't much help. 

C

Did like the credits gag and the "psycho minions", though

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

Saw this earlier tonight and must say this is just an overall great film. I loved the first Despicable Me and while this one kind of struggled feeling as fresh as that one did, it did not dissappoint. Gru and the girls relationship was developed quite nicely- actually the whole family as a whole with the Dr. Nefario/kidnapped Minions subplot was developed nicely. There were a few points where the film got off track, but normally it ended up tying back into the plot in someway or another. The Minions weren't overused to the point to where they aren't funny, Thank God. They definitely delivered a lot of wacko laughs. Also, loved Kristen Wiig as the overly enthusiastic AVL agent Lucy, and I'm glad that her and Gru's romance was developed over the film and not just an immediate ending thing.

Also - that dance party ending wedding scene, there wasn't a person in the (unusually crowded for a Thursday night show) audience not laughing in someway. I would much rather here Minion covers of classic songs than those annoying chipmunks versions. :P

Overall, I loved it. Also I haven't seen an animated film this varied in audience age since Toy Story 3. The wide appeal is definitely true.

Despicable Me 2 - 4/5.

I liked it more than I thought I would, thanks to the Minions. However, without them, movie was crap. Lucy was annoyingly peppy and the girls did nothing in the plot. The villain was obnoxious and kinda racist, which pissed me off. The plot was just boring too; whenever the Minions weren't on screen, I was just waiting for them to show up, because they were moderately funny. All the other humor was just annoyingly juvenile, and I felt like it was a classic example of underestimating a child's intelligence. I give it a B for Minions, a D for the other elements to equal out to a D-.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

I liked it more than I thought I would, thanks to the Minions. However, without them, movie was crap. Lucy was annoyingly peppy and the girls did nothing in the plot. The villain was obnoxious and kinda racist, which pissed me off. The plot was just boring too; whenever the Minions weren't on screen, I was just waiting for them to show up, because they were moderately funny. All the other humor was just annoyingly juvenile, and I felt like it was a classic example of underestimating a child's intelligence. I give it a B for Minions, a D for the other elements to equal out to a C.

Agreed the girls did little, villain was weak, plot was poor and it all seemed cheap to me - I also gave the film a C, I think it will be interesting to see how DM3 does at the dom box office as I believe people may reconsider visiting this franchise again much like Shrek 3

Despicable Me 2

2:40PM

Wednesday, July 17th about 40% full, tickets were A LOT, 11 dollars for a 2D showing!

Trailers:Ender's Game: Some talking.

Planes: Few laughs.

Cloudy 2: Really good reaction, tons of laughs.

Lego Movie: Best reaction.

Boxtrolls: Some laughs at the date. (Okay this film looks strange and rather depressing and well, British. Probably not as messed up as Coraline apparently is though)

RIPD: Ummm yeah....

Movie: Really fun and funny. Really enjoyed the humor in it. Not sure if I like it more then Monsters U or not yet. But I did think it was a very fun film with a heart.

A-

I'd give it a B. I think the franchise as a whole is overrated, but I definitely enjoyed this one more than the first. Yeah, there's not much of a true plot of which to speak, but it was still an enjoyable experience that expanded on everything that was good about the first film.

Maybe my expectations for this were too high, but I came away from it wishing I liked it more. Definitely liked the first one better. I'm not entirely sure what it was. If I had to guess I would say, maybe a tad bit too much of the minions? I think the first movie, we didn't exactly know what to expect from Gru, the minions etc. This time around, recycled bits from the first one didn't give me the same reaction (e.g. Agnes's "cute sequences" seemed much better the first time around, and also the aforementioned minion gags). Such is the downside of comedy sequels I guess?Anyway, I sound negative but it's mostly because I really wanted to like this more. My family and I still enjoyed it for the most part, and my kids loved the minions a lot more than I did.B/B+

As a family movie and entertainment it works wonders and from an entertainment point of view it blows away MU.

But if your expecting some heavy story like a Pixar film this is not and MU is better there. 

This is a very juvenile hilarious film with many simplistic but immensely hilarious scenes.

It is pretty much like Shrek 2, a film that was a bit aimless but you were literally dieing of laughter in many scenes. 

I think I was ROFL with my 17 year old cousin and my 12 year old cousin 3-5 times during the film as I watched it Today at home. 

Pretty much if you want to know what kind of humour to expect it goes like this.

My Name is Felix RamsBottom!

Minions: Bottom..

HAHAHAHAHAH

:P

To be honest for a kids film there are some rather edgy jokes but it works really well. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Typical mundane fodder for the kids. I will concede that you could do worse for a 100-minute run time, and it had some genuinely funny parts.In the end, I won't remember a damn thing about this film in a days time, the film had all the weight of a 12-year old anorexic.