Mattrek

Early Tuesday estimates DM2 4.7 previews

I have very little time for the cast involved with TITE, but after some of the testimonies on here I might just have to give in and see it.

I thought it was good, but not great. May have fell victim to the hype it gets around here.

WEDNESDAY 8:45 AM, 2ND UPDATE: Here’s proof that minions will take over the world box office this weekend. Illumination Entertainment’s and Universal’s Despicable Me 2 grossed $4.7 million Tuesday night in 2,563 theaters with late shows beginning at 7 PM and continuing through Wednesday midnight. As a comparison, the recently released Monsters University grossed $3 million at late shows which began at 8 PM the Thursday before it opened. The original Despicable Me grossed $590K at midnight the Thursday before it debuted. Sequel opens wide in 3,957 theaters today and in 38 more territories this weekend after grossing $60M internationally from only 7 markets through Tuesday. So that’s a worldwide cume of $64.7M so far at a very reasonable cost of $76M. Also opening last night Disney’s The Lone Ranger starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer and directed by Gore Verbinski began with an unimpressive $2M late shows. But tracking has been stronger than expected. Now the question is whether the actioner will be able to cover its high $215M cost when it opens wide today in 3,904 domestic theaters. Depp’s worldwide popularity should help pic overseas where Westerns don’t usually perform. Meanwhile Kevin Hart scored another surprising opening when his Let Me Explain stand-up concert pic from Lionsgate’s Summit Entertainment grossed $1.1M from Thursday late shows from only 876 locations. The cheapest film in the field, this is the follow-up to Hart’s 2011 hit Laugh At My Pain and was filmed live at NYC’s Madison Square Garden as part of the #1 urban comedy tour of all time.

Fandango reports that as of 7 AM Despicable Me 2 is scooping up 71% of Wednesday morning’s ticket sales and Lone Ranger only 12% which doesn’t bode well. MovieTickets.com said its breakdown was 50%, 10%, and 8.1% for Let Me Explain. According to a Fandango survey of more than 1,000 DM2 ticket-buyers, the little yellow guys are the draw — and a whopping 91% already want to see the minions spin-off in 2014. Stay tuned all July 4th weekend.

I thought it was good, but not great. May have fell victim to the hype it gets around here.

How is it a victim? Its going to make 100 mill.

Living outside of America I can't help on that front. ;)

it needs OS money too  :P

Meanwhile Kevin Hart scored another surprising opening when his Let Me Explain stand-up concert pic from Lionsgate’s Summit Entertainment grossed $1.1M from Thursday late shows from only 876 locations.

nice 4 Summit :wub:

Edited by Leyla

How is it a victim? Its going to make 100 mill.

I meant my expectations going into it (as a movie, not bo)...it was good, but my expectations were probably too high. Edited by FTF

Rihanna has sold more records than Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell and Kate Bush combined. What's your point?

My point is that it is all opinions - a movie does not do over a billion dollars if the majority did not like it.

Bad billion dollar films are plentiful.

I don't like a couple of the billion dollar movies either, but that doesn't make them bad, that's my preference.

• Like 1

I don't like a couple of the billion dollar movies either, but that doesn't make them bad, that's my preference.

Alice does objectively suck, though. Even Warner Brothers said they were ashamed of it.

Edited by Hatebox

My point is that it is all opinions - a movie does not do over a billion dollars if the majority did not like it.

TDKR only opened big enough to hit $1 billion total because of goodwill generated by it's predecessor, it had nothing to do with the film's own merits. In case you didn't notice it's legs weren't nearly as good as TDK.

Avatar 2 could end up being the biggest piece of crap ever put on film but it will still top $1 billion just because it's the sequel to Avatar.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 1

TDKR only opened big enough to hit $1 billion total because of goodwill generated by it's predecessor, it had nothing to do with the film's own merits. In case you didn't notice it's legs weren't nearly as good as TDK.

Same could be said about IM3 coming off The Avengers. TDKR had way better reviews than IM3.