Biggestgeekever

Wkend #s: 82.5 DM2, 29.4 TFR, 25 Heat, 19.6 MU

I just took my youngest to see MU while the wife and oldest went to TLR.  I got to walk in on the last 35 minutes of TLR.  I can't say that I liked the implausible action sequences.  They were entertaining overall... but it was like the action in the A-Team movie.  All too convenient, convoluted instances of action.

That being said, I found Hammer very likable and wouldn't mind going to see it in its entirety.

At first I thought The Minions movie is a silly idea but given how beloved they are by the audience (and for me they are the ones that kept DM2 from being a total dud) I now think it could really work.

I was at the local theater  yesterday and boy the lines were long. DM2 is a big part of that as it is behaving like a superhero/HP/Twilight movie here but it does not have the lion share of screens (90%+) like those movies so it won't open on the same level of those movies but it's still going to be huge. Animated flicks from Disney-Pixar/Dreamworks do well here but not really huge numbers (over 100 million pesos in gross) and the last really big animation movie here was Toy Story 3. Ice Age movies are solid box office performers as well but not long-lines-in -the-theater popular. I remember watching DM1 in half empty theater back then and The Lorax flopped here. The popularity of the minions is just so impressive, they even have features on local news! I never thought that they would be this BIG here in the Philippines.

Edited by forg

But you compared them wrong; they should only be compared within the year of release. A well done comparison would've beenToy Story 3 (415M) vs. Despicable Me (251M)Cars 2 (191M) vs. Hop (108M)Brave (237M) vs. The Lorax (214M)DM2 will beat MU, but that's the first time in Illumination's first four movies. Not a trend.

I compared them as the last 3 animated movies both studios have released from lowest gross to highest. Whats unfair about that? Or of your stick on them having to be the same year then just add up the cumulative gross of the 3 and you get the same resul. Illumination wins. And Hop was not animated so it can't be used in an animation comparison Edited by MovieMan89

I missed Place Beyond the Pines in theaters. Anxious for its Blu-ray release.

I missed Mud. It's playing one theater that's just too much of a hassle to get to. I had a two month window and I blew it!

• Like 1

I missed Mud. It's playing one theater that's just too much of a hassle to get to. I had a two month window and I blew it!

You haven't even seen Before Midnight yet, have you! Rich, you're wasting your life! :P
  • Like 2

I'm going to rank the 4 animated movies I've seen this year:

1. The Croods

2. Monsters University

3. Despicable Me 2

4. Epic

- Epic has the more developed story than DM2 but well the minions gags were just too fun so it edges out Epic. I like MU a lot but I'm a sucker for a good family-centric story so The Croods wins

Edited by forg

Top 30 20131. The Hobbit 22. The Lone Ranger3. Elysium4. 47 Ronin

5. Django Unchained6. Oblivion7. Pacific Rim8. Clоud Atlas9. The Croods

10. Frozen

_______________________11. Gravity

12. Star Trek 213. Despicable Me 2

14. Finding Nemo15. Epic16. Iron Man 317. Wreck-it Ralph18. The Life of Pi19. Hansel and Gretel20. Wolverine 2

_______________________21. Oz the Great and Powerful22. Upside Down23. Thor 224. The Great Gatsby25. Mama26. World War Z27. Side Effects28. The Hangover 329. Mud30. Man of Steel

The last one is a terrible movie, but I felt sorry for it, so I still gave it the (shameful) last spot. Because of the first 20 minute, the rest was a total crap, as with most superheroes.

You haven't even seen Before Midnight yet, have you! Rich, you're wasting your life! :P

Before Midnight is coming up on Monday! I'm aiming for three movies next week. My lady's working everyday so I'll hopefully have some time to get a flick in. She's made it very clear she's not seeing Pacific Rim.  :lol:

What is Mud about? I just assumed it was stupid based on the name.

Mud is a great little movie - obviosuly, since it landed a place on my Top 30 for the year.

A bit boring though. Liked the director Jeff Nichols's previous (Take Shelter - 10/10) much better.

• Like 1

Mud is a great little movie - obviosuly, since it landed a place on my Top 30 for the year.

A bit boring though. Liked the director Jeff Nichols's previous (Take Shelter - 10/10) much better.

Thanks, I've been meaning to catch Take Shelter for a while now.

• Like 4

Nichols is about to explode in a way not terribly dissimilar from Nolan. Watch it happen.

He needs a big blockbuster before he can do that.