Mattrek

Tuesday #S: DM2 12.07M, TH 3.47M (actual),: Estimates: TLR 3.5, MU 3.2, WWZ 2.5

I'm a bit surprised how lost it's gotten in the shuffle. It's a movie I expected audiences to like more than critics, but WOM doesn't even seem as strong as TASM.*cue iKent vs. fanboys highjacking of thread*

Exactly...as much as I wanted it to be...but after the first week it have been mostly disappointing...we kept on waiting for the holds/legs to be very good weeks after weeks...but actually it didn't happened and now its not even sure of $300m. It should have crushed $300m after that opening.

• Like 1

It is the biggest summer in almost a decade and money is being spread over a lot of films (certainly compared to last year). I much prefer it this way tbh. So some films might not reach their potential, but tracking is so much more interesting.

• Like 8

No doubt it's making more than enough money to keep WB happy. Especially overseas. But most of us were talking about 330-350 and on after its opening weekend, especially when it stayed flat on Father's Day. I don't have a bone to pick with MOS, but I feel like it never became the must-see movie of the summer after its insanely huge OW.

No doubt it's making more than enough money to keep WB happy. Especially overseas. But most of us were talking about 330-350 and on after its opening weekend, especially when it stayed flat on Father's Day.I don't have a bone to pick with MOS, but I feel like it never became the must-see movie of the summer after its insanely huge OW.

The MU-WWZ combo was the reason. I'm sure you didn't expect WWZ to do what it did on its OW.

No doubt it's making more than enough money to keep WB happy. Especially overseas. But most of us were talking about 330-350 and on after its opening weekend, especially when it stayed flat on Father's Day.I don't have a bone to pick with MOS, but I feel like it never became the must-see movie of the summer after its insanely huge OW.

Nothing is the must-see movie this summer. Like I said, the money's all over the place.
  • Like 2

Turbo, Planes, and The Smurfs 2 might provide some difficulty, but at the same time, family movie fatigue is going to strike eventually, and I just don't see Turbo being that big.

MU will get a nice boost with Planes since they're both Disney and should enjoy a long run in dollar theaters, but I think it's still going to fall short of 300m, most likely around 280-85m

Based on opening week multipliers, MOS had similar legs to ASM and Superman Returns..

Batman Begins had far superior legs to all of them.

I think anticipation for ASM2 and MOS2 will be roughly the same. Then again Skyfall followed the disappointing QOS and Star Trek Into the Darkness followed the popular and leggy Star Trek.

So ultimately, the legs of the previous movie doesn't make predicting the sequels performance too much easier.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3

Based on opening week multipliers, MOS had similar legs to ASM and Superman Returns..

Batman Begins had far superior legs to all of them.

I think anticipation for ASM2 and MOS2 will be roughly the same. Then again Skyfall followed QOS and Star Trek Into the Darkness followed the popular and leggy Star Trek.

So ultimately, the legs of the previous movie doesn't make predicting the sequels performance too much easier.

Ditto and well said. I have a lot of faith in TASM2 and I hoping the best for MoS2.

• Like 1

I'm a bit surprised how lost it's gotten in the shuffle. It's a movie I expected audiences to like more than critics, but WOM doesn't even seem as strong as TASM. *cue iKent vs. fanboys highjacking of thread*

It currently matches IM3 in legs but I guess for a reboot it could have done better.It's still a success though.
  • Like 1