luna

Most overrated directors

I wasn't talking about Burton's merits as a director, or how good or bad Batman 1 and 2 were. I just responded to Jessie's post that the Squaremaster only dislikes Marvel directors, by pointing out that the Squaremaster also mentioned Tim Burton, who is not a Marvel director, and who in fact directed two DC movies.

Read, don't skim, before you say shit like that, baumer.

To follow up, One of the two Burton's films is my pick for most overrated CBM ever made.

Also, you could replace Nolan with PTA and my statements would be no different.

Edited by Squaremaster316

To follow up, One of the two Burton's films is my pick for most overrated CBM ever made.

Also, you could replace Nolan with PTA and my statements would be no different.

How's Burton overrated now? Isn't he one of those directors that everyone calls sellouts,etc?

Nolan is so overrated after TDKR and his godchild MoS.

• Like 1

Very few men in Hollywood can craft an action sequence like Verbinski can. The finale of Lone Ranger, even if we had to sit through 2 hours of crap to get there, is absolutely thrilling. I could say the same for AWE. He gives the audience a great sense of scope and place no matter how much crazy stuff is going on.

• Like 8

Very few men in Hollywood can craft an action sequence like Verbinski can. The finale of Lone Ranger, even if we had to sit through 2 hours of crap to get there, is absolutely thrilling. I could say the same for AWE. He gives the audience a great sense of scope and place no matter how much crazy stuff is going on.

I don't know what sense of scope he gave in AWE a movie most people found extremly tedious and confusing. he directed a great 3 way sword-fight in DMC. But the point here is, he doesn't make great movies, only crafts visually stunning action sequences. Not enough to cite him as one of greats nor a good reason to give him a pass that is always revoked from bay who crafts great action sequences too.

• Like 2

I wasn't talking about Burton's merits as a director, or how good or bad Batman 1 and 2 were. I just responded to Jessie's post that the Squaremaster only dislikes Marvel directors, by pointing out that the Squaremaster also mentioned Tim Burton, who is not a Marvel director, and who in fact directed two DC movies.

Read, don't skim, baumer.

I'll skim if I choose to.  

You wanna dance?  Hunh?

Verbinski did the Ring.

Enough said.  The man is a terrific director.  I don't think the direction was bad in TLR, in fact, it was quite exhilarating.  

• Like 2

If there was (thanks Gopher) ever a film that was all about direction, it was The Ring.  The tension in that film was palpable.  When she crawled out of the TV, that was all Verbinski.

• Like 3

The Ring was his best movie directing-wise. No fat, no bloat. He went worse with POTC. I guess that outrageous success of those movies made him think bloated is the way to go so that's what he does now. I do think he's superior craftsman than PJ, who is the world's most famous bloater, especially when it comes to action (Verbinski action is clear, PJ's is confusing) but that alone doesn't justify giving a pass for flaws that ruin the movie.

Also, overrated =/= bad. It just means someone isn't as good as hype make you believe.

The only ones I consider over rated are Peter Jackson and Terrence Malick... Coppola, I don't know. (SOFIA). I haven't watched all of her movies, but Lost in Translation is one of my favorites.

I don't think Verbinski is over rated. His job is to make good adventure movies, and he never fails in doing that. All the Pirates movies and Lone Ranger (seems to be, I haven't seen it) are all very good adventure movies, the only problem was that their script was very weak.

It's not like it was his fault that Pirates 2 sucked compared to Pirates 1. His directing was just perfect for that kind of movie, but the script was ... bleah.

The only ones I consider over rated are Peter Jackson and Terrence Malick...

Good call.

POTC 2 is actually considered better than first by quite a few fans. I myself like it better in no small amount because Johnny and Keira have sensational chemistry ( unlike Borelando who doesn't have chemistry with any actress he was ever paired with) so their courtship was a delight to watch unlike yawnfest that was Willabeth. It's the third movie that sucked big time and the decision to use drab grey rainy cinematography didn't help staying awake. I'll give verbinski credit for gorgeously shot Locker scene, though. But the battle was a sedative from start to finish.

Posted Image

Id be pretty sad if/when he will be affected by TLR underperforming :(  :( :(

Edited by Leyla
  • Like 2

No offense, but you sound like a Marvel sucking-twink when you make a comment like that. 

I thing ONE Marvel film made by Favreau is overrated, but Elf is even moreso, and all of Whedon's work is HIGHLY overrated, and since we're on the subject of bad fans, NO ONE has more detestable pieces of rat excrement for fanboys that him.

Is this post supposed to be ironical? The only fanboy who makes a bad impression here is you.