#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

forgot WWZ.

But I doubt WWZ2 has much room to grow.

WWZ's big problem was the budget. They filmed an entire big-money ending and then scrapped it and filmed a new one.

If the sequel has a budget that's $50M less than the first one, it doesn't have to grow.

Well, not surprised Pacific Rim is struggling.

Outside of it's core niche demographic, there just fundamentally wasn't any broad demographic appeal.

The problem is, is that WB didn't try to sell it to a broader audience (and probably intentionally so).

They went completely geeky with the marketing.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

The problem is, is that WB didn't try to sell it to a broader audience (and probably intentionally so).

They went completely geeky with the marketing.

Now I haven't seen the movie yet, but the sense I get is that there wasn't much TO sell beyond the geek factor.

Based on the reviews I've skimmed, there's nothing interesting in terms of plot or characterization in this film.

Edited by ACCA

watched DM1

hmm Im still a heartless b**** :P

I still dont care abt children & refuse to go 'awwwwwwwwww I'm reformed & want to be a mommyyy now'  :lol:

minions were funny tho

GU1

again this 'awwww I found the meaning of life again wooooo we're family!!!!'  BS :lol:  less annoying than DM I must admit but still super cliche

Selma & Maria Bello were fine tho

Number of us have been arguing that for months. It fell on deaf ears.

Not really, alot here had an ow prediction of around $35-40m and almost everyone agrees the marketing sucked, we were just hoping it'd do better...which based on Rth #s it definitely did not :(And that DM2 # kind of sucks too, can't believe shitty GU2 is going to win the weekend, sigh...

Now I haven't seen the movie yet, but the sense I get is that there wasn't much TO sell beyond the geek factor.Based on the reviews I've skimmed, there's nothing interesting in terms of plot or characterization in this film.

Bigger name lead actor and more exciting looking trailers could have still helped

Now I haven't seen the movie yet, but the sense I get is that there wasn't much TO sell beyond the geek factor.

Based on the reviews I've skimmed, there's nothing interesting in terms of plot or characterization in this film.

Most people who go to the movies don't look for good characteristics or plot.

They could have humanized the trailers a little more, instead of just showing off special effects. Unfortunately WB didn't have much to lose on Pacific Rim. Legendary Pictures financed most of the film (75%), Warner Brothers only helped with 25% of the cost.

Most people who go to the movies don't look for good characteristics or plot.

They could have humanized the trailers a little more, instead of just showing off special effects. Unfortunately WB didn't have much to lose on Pacific Rim. Legendary Pictures financed most of the film (75%), Warner Brothers only helped with 25% of the cost.

Well let me rephrase it a little bit.

My sense is that regardless of the marketing, the film doesn't seem to have any story or any characters that the general audience can connect with or relate to.

The sense I get from the reviews, and the sense the very first trailer gave me, was that this is a mostly hollow film that is just a visual overload, and nothing else really.

Well let me rephrase it a little bit.

My sense is that regardless of the marketing, the film doesn't seem to have any story or any characters that the general audience can connect with or relate to.

The sense I get from the reviews, and the sense the very first trailer gave me, was that this is a mostly hollow film that is just a visual overload, and nothing else really.

It's a film that was made for people's inner child. A lot of critics called it terrifically entertaining.

It was not made to be deep. Del Toro doesn't make hollow films, he makes fun movies, and he’s passionate about his films too.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

It's a film that was made for people's inner child. A lot of critics called it terrifically entertaining.

It was not made to be deep. Del Toro doesn't make hollow films, he makes fun movies, and he’s passionate about his films too.

I have yet to see it so I'll reserve judgement.

You're right, Del Toro doesn't make hollow films. However, he makes more than fun films; all his past films have had some meaning to them, and some decent connection to the plot and characters.

I'll be seeing PR soon, but my expectations are very low. It just doesn't feel like a typical Del Toro film.