#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

people who compared PR to Battleship and JC were spot on

i was one of the group that said it would flop. its going to do a battleship, and prolly 40-50m above that WW.

Edited by Halba

Are those good numbers for the holdovers?

Not really. MoS got a 30% Bump only. It lost all of its IMAX which clearly had a bigger percentage of the daily grosses than we thought.

That's a harsh drop for DM2. Quite a bit below MU's second friday. Meanwhile, MU is in a free-fall. GU2 just represents the amount of idiots currently among moviegoers.

Its a good increase for DM2. The later into July films dont go up all that much on Friday. Look into any other similar Friday from years passed.

I agree with ACCA. If PR had opened up huge then everybody would be putting praise on del Toro. so if he is going to get the praise he has to take the fall as well. I have never understood why this guy gets his name before every movie. he has done absolutely nothing in Hollywood box office wise to warrant that kind of exposure and respect. his name means nothing in the box office absolutely nothing.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

I agree with ACCA. Vikram had opened up huge then everybody would be putting praise on del Toro. so if he is going to get the praise he has to take the fall as well. I have never understood why this guy gets his name before every movie. he has done absolutely nothing in Hollywood box office wise to warrant that kind of exposure and respect. his name means nothing in the box office absolutely nothing.

Respect of the nerds!!!!!! Haha jkBut yeah I like his movies but BO wise, it doesn't mean much.If a movie about giant robots and monsters can't do big business, I thought it would be big though, then how is he gonna get a bonafide hit with something else, let alone something risky as at the mountains of madness.I don't like bay, and his island flop is as bad as any, but he has done very well in BO. In terms of business, he is far more valuable. I wish that wasn't the case, but it is nonetheless.

I I think something Michael Bay does better than most is that he is able to blend his action with some very memorable characters. I know he does not write his scripts but somehow he manages to find people to write scripts that have funny characters and identifiable characters or just plain quirky enough characters that we identify with them. Armageddon Transformers and so on...all had people we could relate to in some way.

• Like 2

I I think something Michael Bay does better than most is that he is able to blend his action with some very memorable characters. I know he does not write his scripts but somehow he manages to find people to write scripts that have funny characters and identifiable characters or just plain quirky enough characters that we identify with them. Armageddon Transformers and so on...all had people we could relate to in some way.

I agree. But I like Emmerich too. That's the difference between Rolan/Bay and somebody like Snyder.

• Like 1

Let's see, that would be 

DM2: +43%

TH: +54%

TFR: +43%

MU: +25%  :( (any chance you switch MU and TFR's numbers?  :P )

WWZ: +43%

WHD: +32%

LME: +88%

MOS: +34%

• Like 1

Timing is everything. If Pacific Rim had opened at the start of the summer then it might well have done much better. As it is, its one of the last mega budget CG filled events of which plenty would have already had their fix and be less inclined to rush out. As Baumer said, Del Toro to Joe Public means nothing and the film doesn't have any stars of note. It's a shame. For the money they spent on it they needed to position and market it better than they have. That doesn't take away from the tremendous achievement it is as a film. People will kick themselves when they catch up with it at home and realise what they missed on the big screen.

Timing is everything.If Pacific Rim had opened at the start of the summer then it might well have done much better.As it is, its one of the last mega budget CG filled events of which plenty would have already had their fix and be less inclined to rush out.As Baumer said, Del Toro to Joe Public means nothing and the film doesn't have any stars of note.It's a shame. For the money they spent on it they needed to position and market it better than they have. That doesn't take away from the tremendous achievement it is as a film. People will kick themselves when they catch up with it at home and realise what they missed on the big screen.

It would have far more competition at the beginning of summer. IM3, FF6, STiD, MU, MOS. It would have done worse if released earlier.

• Like 2