#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

I dont understand the whole "a flop will be covered by a success" thing. Never have. A studios goal is to make as much money as possible. Disney covered JC's losses with TA, but that means less money they get from TA. You dont want to use one movie to mask another, you want JC and TA to be profitable. Why use IM3 and MU to cover TLR, when you want money from all 3? If I was an exec, I wouldnt be so light on flops. I'd get tired of having to use another movie to cover a movie every year, thats less money I get.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 5

Why should it hurt him? It's not his fault it failed.

Warner Brothers will never admit it’s their fault, but Legendary Pictures should have marketed THEIR MOVIE.

I can’t wait to see Warner Brothers marketing for Godzilla. I’m sure it’ll stink.

Godzilla should be better. I think WB owns the rights to Godzilla. They did make the 1998 Godzilla.

Yes you can. Monsters vs robots isn't un-famailar concept that isn't liked. Where marketing went wrong is that they tried to sell it as Transformers with monsters. So not something that is different and thus worth seeing. Battleship made the same mistake of going with "mee to" strategy that linked the movie to TF too much. "Me too" doesn't make people go "well, this is worth forking out almost $20 CND to see in UltrAVX or IMAX".

STiD had the same problem. They pretty much cut trailers that looked like the first movie all over again (revenge!) but with few more explosions. Again, not enough to put more butts into seats.

OTOH, TGG with its balsy modern songs + period drama based on a classic created "wow, this is different!" chatter and boxoffice soared. MoS also had great marketing that promised better movie than what we got (it's downfall was movie itself, once the WOM spread). WWZ capitalized on Pitt + epic-scale zombies (literally scaling the wall), another never-seen-before thing since A Listers don't populate zombie movies.

PR missed the hook and this isn't a hindsight attempt to sound smart. Many people who supported the movie didn't dig the marketing from the get-go.

Why should the average joe watch Pacific Rim?

Transformers had Megan Fox, comic relief, nostalgia, Optimus Prime, Michael Bay, July 4th, fast cars, Shia, Spielberg, etc.

What did Pacific Rim have?

• Like 1

flops are tolerated for proven directors but not really for a director trying it out for the first time

GdT is not a director trying it out for the first time. He is respected and respected directors and actors are allowed some flops without getting immediately discarded like Orlando Bloom after KoH and Elizabethtown. There was no value in that guy and they pretty much figured since pretty face was all he had but wasn't enough they didn't need him. This is not the case with industry people who command respect and have a) solid if unspectacular boxoffice trakc record (Blade 2 and 2 Hellboys weren't Avatars but didn't lose money either when all is said and done) and/or B) critical acclaim.

days of Michael Cimino are over. Chis Weiss sunk NLC with Golden Compass and bounced right back with NM. If anything., GdT may be forced into directing a sequel to a highly popular franchise or sure-fire franchise starter to build some big BO cred but he won't be barred from big budget movies, count on it.

I dont understand the whole "a flop will be covered by a success" thing. Never have. A studios goal is to make as much money as possible. Disney covered JC's losses with TA, but that means less money they get from TA. You dont want to use one movie to mask another, you want JC and TA to be profitable. Why use IM3 and MU ro cover TLR, when you want money from all 3? If I was an exec, I wouldnt be so light on flops. I'd get tired of having to us another movie to cover a movie every year, thats less money I get.

You're ignoring the fact that not everything can be a hit. Even if the studios were smarter with their budgets there would still be big flops.

Why should the average joe watch Pacific Rim?

Transformers had Megan Fox, comic relief, nostalgia, Optimus Prime, Michael Bay, July 4th, fast cars, Shia, Spielberg, etc.

What did Pacific Rim have?

It's marketing job to make it have something that stands out in the crowd. MoS one did a brilliant job of selling the movie for something it wasn't. But they selected scenes and put the thing together to look like the most emotional story-telling you'll ever see. Wheeras the movie was illogical beyond measure, had awkward jumbed narrative and emotion was induced by overblown score not what was put on the screen.

You're ignoring the fact that not everything can be a hit. Even if the studios were smarter with their budgets there would still be big flops.

Exactly. It's a calucated risk. It's "we are gambling with 250m TLR but we know we have sure-fire profit from IM3 + merchandize" type of a deal. This is, of course, overly simplified formula but it does go around those lines.

GdT is not a director trying it out for the first time. He is respected and respected directors and actors are allowed some flops without getting immediately discarded like Orlando Bloom after KoH and Elizabethtown. There was no value in that guy and they pretty much figured since pretty face was all he had but wasn't enough they didn't need him. This is not the case with industry people who command respect and have a) solid if unspectacular boxoffice trakc record (Blade 2 and 2 Hellboys weren't Avatars but didn't lose money either when all is said and done) and/or B) critical acclaim.

days of Michael Cimino are over. Chis Weiss sunk NLC with Golden Compass and bounced right back with NM. If anything., GdT may be forced into directing a sequel to a highly popular franchise or sure-fire franchise starter to build some big BO cred but he won't be barred from big budget movies, count on it.

exactly, GDT can still direct but he has probably no creative freedom now. Don't expect any other personal projects of his to be greenlit

Why should the average joe watch Pacific Rim? Transformers had Megan Fox, comic relief, nostalgia, Optimus Prime, Michael Bay, July 4th, fast cars, Shia, Spielberg, etc. What did Pacific Rim have?

Well what it is is a fantastic movie that is everything Transformers should be.
  • Like 1

very sad about that PR number! it will make around $33 for the weekend! i expected much more from this movie, i hate when non sequels do bad, because it justifie even more sequels, every year there are more and more sequels