Chewy

Weekend Estimates (starting pg 50) July 19-21

Can everyone please remember that Insidious' distributor kept its marketing budget for after opening weekend. Hence why the legs were great. Yeh it had decent WOM, but those legs werent all based on WOM.

I can't find confirmation for that. Actually all I can find is that a very good marketing campaign led to a better than expected opening.

And really, even if your statement was right, it wouldn't explalain its healthy increase on saturday.

This idea that Proposal made lots of money only because of Bullock and not because of the Bullock/Reynolds chemistry is incredibly retard.

Agreed, Bullock was no longer a big draw at that point in her career (Miss Congeniality 2 four years easier proved this). So it was the combination of the two of them that created a monster hit. And Sandra hit the jackpot a few months later, solidifying her name as A-list Oscar winner.

Ryan on the other hand had nothing of quality lined up, so he's still in the same place as he was before The Proposal. A somewhat famous actor that can't be linked to a genre and neither he or Hollywood has a clue what to do with his career. The fact that he starred in one of the most notoriously awful films of recent memory isn't helping him much either.

• Like 2

People will continue giving RR because the role of the actor is now a very diminished. he is there to help facilitate the story but not to sell it because there are no more stars anymore

The Proposal opened well because it had a funny trailer. It had great legs because it was a funny movie. I don't really think star power comes into that one.

The trailer was funny because the of the Bullock/Reynolds chemistry. So yeah, I agree it was because it was funny and not because either of them was in the movie. 

• Like 1

The Proposal opened well because it had a funny trailer. It had great legs because it was a funny movie. I don't really think star power comes into that one.

Bingo. Bullock had zero draw power back when that movie opened. Her career was in the gutter of gutters. It's like saying IM1 opened huge because of RDJ's draw. He had no draw back then, that's what gave him his draw power. Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

I can't find confirmation for that. Actually all I can find is that a very good marketing campaign led to a better than expected opening.

And really, even if your statement was right, it wouldn't explalain its healthy increase on saturday.

Don't worry, I found the confirmation for you : http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3148&p=.htm

You're welcome.