Chewy

Weekend Estimates (starting pg 50) July 19-21

I find it hilarious that Nikki of all people is being so righteously indignant about the press labeling movies bombs before they release.

Nikki loves to drop the "bomb", especially when she can use that label to slam some studio exec she's currently hating on. 

Is this just a general statement or is it in regards to PR?

i don't think RT is a gr8 indicator at all.

e.g. man of steel 56% RT rotten, but got 300mil nearly domestic

PR 71% fresh but struggle to reach 100mil..

its not RT, or cinemascore but the following question.

1. will this movie appeal to the GA? is it a franchise, a brand of some sort(e.g. pixar, dreamworks), does it have star power?

Edited by Halba

Life of Pi was great in 3D.

It really wasn't. It was one I those 3D experiences where I had to keep taking my glasses off to notice a difference. The 3D was very poor and I even bought it in 3D blueray and it still poor.Great film though.

Not looking like TC will get to 20m,

TC 17-18m,DM2 7.1,R2 6.5-8,GU2 6.4,Turbo 6.2,RFID 4.7-5,SR 4.6,TH 2.8,WWZ/MU 1.5, TFR 1.2

No 40M for the Conjuring. Fuck.

RT has time and again proven to be a way better indicator of legs and multipliers than CS.

Well, I'd challenge that.  I don't think that is entirely true.  I don't have the time to go through it thoroughly but there are a litany of films disliked by critics that have excellent legs.

Not true.  It could hit 40, depending on how frontloaded it is.  

Well, it is a horror movie and considering The Devil Inside, Texas Chainsaw 3D and The Purge I would say 40M are dead :lol:

EDIT: Cinemascore is much better for The Conjuring than for any of those 3, so it may pull 40M OW, but I doubt it.

Edited by CJohn

RT has time and again proven to be a way better indicator of legs and multipliers than CS.

It depends on the film. Ted had a lower RT score than PR but had the best multiplier of its summer (correct me if I'm wrong)
  • Like 1

Well, it is a horror movie and considering The Devil Inside, Texas Chainsaw 3D and The Purge I would say 40M are dead :lol: EDIT: Cinemascore is much better for The Conjuring than for any of those 3, so it may pull 40M OW, but I doubt it.

What did Purge do on midnights?

Well, it is a horror movie and considering The Devil Inside, Texas Chainsaw 3D and The Purge I would say 40M are dead :lol:

EDIT: Cinemascore is much better for The Conjuring than for any of those 3, so it may pull 40M OW, but I doubt it.

I agree it will be tough, but A- is a good score. 

Completely different time of year for sure, but if it follows Mama, it will do:

13.5 (taking out midnights)

40.5 mill.   :)

Edited by baumer

i don't think RT is a gr8 indicator at all.

e.g. man of steel 56% RT rotten, but got 300mil nearly domestic

PR 71% fresh but struggle to reach 100mil..

its not RT, or cinemascore but the following question.

1. will this movie appeal to the GA? is it a franchise, a brand of some sort(e.g. pixar, dreamworks), does it have star power?

While I agree with you, he's talking about legs, not final gross.