Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

TMZ is reporting that Sony believes the hack was an inside job and possibly a laid off IT employee went to someone in North Korea with the info. Crazy stuff.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/17/sony-hack-inside-job-north-korea-investigation/

I think these are just the laid off employees posing as North Koreans

Edited by forg
  • Like 1

if The Interview gets pulled, this is going to be one of the weakest Christmas's ever

Wednesday

NEW IN THEATERS DISTRIBUTOR RELEASE
The Gambler (on Thu.)
Crime Drama
Paramount Wide
The Interview (2014) (on Thu.)
Comedy
Sony / Columbia Wide
Into the Woods (on Thu.)
Musical
Buena Vista Wide
Unbroken (on Thu.)
War Drama
Universal Wide
American Sniper (on Thu.)
Drama
Warner Bros. 4
Big Eyes (on Thu.)
Drama
Weinstein Company  
Selma (on Thu.)
Drama
Paramount Limited
Two Days, One Night
Foreign
IFC  

I don't think The Gambler is going to be 3000-wide. I doubt it will put up big numbers.

If The Interview goes, that would probably be good news for holdovers like Hobbit, Mockingjay, and even Interstellar and BH6. And it will certainly be good news for Into The Woods and Unbroken.

I wonder if something like Imitation Game or Inherent Vice might try to expand earlier than planned if they think screens might be available.

Edited by kitik

The Interview is probably gonna end up the saw way as Borat.

Borat was supposed to debut in 2,500 theaters, but Fox only released it in 800 theaters because there was apparently little to no interest.

Borat debuted to $28 million, with a PTA over $30,000.

The Interview might get pulled from a lot of theaters, but in the end with all this free publicity it'll do around $15-25 million.

Rival Studios Fuming at Sony for Not Yanking ‘Interview’ in Wake of Hackers’ Threats, Insiders Say (Exclusive)

http://www.thewrap.com/rival-studios-fuming-at-sony-for-not-yanking-interview-in-wake-of-hackers-threats-insiders-say-exclusive/

LOL, the real reason studios want it pulled is because it's gonna make the holdovers lose a decent amount of theaters.

• Like 1

I guess this shows how much more connected to the west Kim Jong Un is than his father. I don't remember much of a fuss being made over Team America a decade ago(That was 10 years ago? Wow.). Pretty sure Team America made more fun of the dad than this will make of the son.

Although, there is that conspiracy theorist inside of me that can't help but consider Sony is just making all(or at least some) of this up to drum up "free" publicity for this film.

• Like 1

We still aren t sure the hack is north korean.

An article from the wrap interviewed an IT guy and he said that to collect that much data, the breach in sony security and the hack has probably been going on for months, which could mean this is an inside job ...or not.

I guess this shows how much more connected to the west Kim Jong Un is than his father. I don't remember much of a fuss being made over Team America a decade ago(That was 10 years ago? Wow.). Pretty sure Team America made more fun of the dad than this will make of the son.

Although, there is that conspiracy theorist inside of me that can't help but consider Sony is just making all(or at least some) of this up to drum up "free" publicity for this film.

Well, according to some, the hacker (or at least one of them) is now believed to be someone who worked/was associated with the studio, which would make a lot of sense.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/source-top-five-theater-circuits-758843?utm_source=twitter

The country's top five theater circuits have decided not to play Sony's The Interview, a knowledgeable source tells The Hollywood Reporter.

Regal Entertainment, AMC Entertainment, Cinemark, Carmike Cinemas and Cineplex Entertainment have all decided against showing the film.

Carmike Cinemas confirmed its decision to drop the film on Tuesday. The other chains did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Sony also had no immediate comment.

• Like 1

Yeah while this movie looks terrible to me, I don't think this is right that it is being pulled due to this stuff.  Don't get me wrong, I get why it is and no theater is going to want to take the PR hit if something actually happened, but this still stinks.

• Like 1