Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

Everybody is looking at this from self interest and they are right in this sense. I’m a movie theater and I say, okay, there’s been a threat. Not really a credible threat. But there’s a threat and my lawyers call and tell me, well, you run the movie and you could be liable. And, all the other movies around it are going to have their business hurt. I understand that and it makes complete sense. But that’s where we really need to figure what the real response should be.

Except Paramount pulled it, not the theaters. I assume the theaters knew full well what the potential liabilities could be if shit happens, and that was the whole point of screening it in the first place.

Sorry, Selma. I'm sure you're a deserving BP winner but your distributor is chickenshit.

• Like 2

All distributors/exhibitors are chickenshit as they should be. They are in the business to make money and not to make statements. Regardless of whether NK has any ability to attack any theaters, the hackers have shown their ability to practically take down a major corporation. How can a responsible CEO of a major corporation allow his company to become a target of the hackers ? How many of these internet bravehearts will even show up for a screening of Team America, a movie that they already torrented for free back in 2008 ? Yeah, that $2000 in box office receipts was totally worth the $100 million damages we suffered because of hacking. Best of luck trying to explain this to the major stockholders and the governing board.

• Like 2

Some great points there. To me the media helping distribute the act is the same as handling stolen goods. They may not have hacked it themselves, but the media has helped put sony in a weakened position and helped make the hackers look stronger. If there was no coverage then it wouldn't have snowballed like it has.

The fact Hollywood as a whole didn't step up, united and support the release of the movie is a terrible shame that could have ramifications in the future for making movies with controversial content or that want to push boundaries.

• Like 1

All distributors/exhibitors are chickenshit as they should be. They are in the business to make money and not to make statements. Regardless of whether NK has any ability to attack any theaters, the hackers have shown their ability to practically take down a major corporation. How can a responsible CEO of a major corporation allow his company to become a target of the hackers ? How many of these internet bravehearts will even show up for a screening of Team America, a movie that they already torrented for free back in 2008 ? Yeah, that $2000 in box office receipts was totally worth the $100 million damages we suffered because of hacking. Best of luck trying to explain this to the major stockholders and the governing board.

I really don't give a shit that they're a business. If you value the first amendment whatsoever, you shouldn't be taking their side. There is no excuse whatsoever to be letting our enemies dictate our decisions.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 5

If Sony or another distributor does release the movie, it'll be when all loose ends are tied up.

If Sony doesn't release the movie, it'll be leaked.

Regardless, the general public will still see this movie, whatever form it may be.

Well wasn't the whole point of pulling it completely that they would be able to be eligible for full losses? 

• Like 1