kitik

Weekend est pg 22 - 2 Guns 27.4, Wolv 21.7, Smurfs 18.2

Great weekend for Smurfs.  :D  And PacRim is behind C&A, right? However I thought 2 Guns will make 33-35M.

With that soft increase its on par and still 3 mill ahead

Safe House had a lot more hype than 2 Guns which signaled to me that the studio perceived it didn't have as much moneymaking potential, for whatever reason. On the surface you would think "Denzel + Wahlberg > Denzel + Reynolds" but the marketing here wasn't ramped up nearly as much, the ads weren't nearly as ubiquitous weeks in advance, and the leads promoted it, but not like they have some of their other movies. I mean, it doesn't seem All About Steve levels of awful but everything about the lead up for 2 Guns screams out that something must be missing with it.

Fruitvale Station overexpanded and probably would've done somewhat better when award season was in full bloom, but then there's the risk that it could've been lost in the shuffle against higher profile, bigger budget movies. Considering its subject matter, budget (less than $1m), star power and that it's a first-time director, its final tally won't be bad at all. It's just not a feel-good time at the movies, no sense of triumph at the end, and I know people who just don't want to pay to relive that kind of scenario.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1