Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

7 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Disney needs to fire their test audiences 

Their test audience are friends and families so not exactly the most unbiased audience. I know people who work for Disney and they say Disney asks regular staff for input which also carries a level of bias. As a staff you might see that as an opportunity to push for something you want that isn't necessarily shared by larger audience. 

Edited by Valonqar

3 hours ago, PrinceRico said:

33% on RT. Some of you really thought this was winning the summer.

Says the guy that was comparing GotGV3 box office to The Suicide Squad and that is maybe the biggest Transformers apologist on this board. It won't win the summer... That's obvious now. But, sheesh, you sure run your mouth a lot for someone that's wrong by a lot very, very often.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Says the guy that was comparing GotGV3 box office to The Suicide Squad and that is maybe the biggest Transformers apologist on this board. It won't win the summer... That's obvious now. But, sheesh, you sure run your mouth a lot someone that's wrong by a lot very, very often.

I think he wants LM to win the summer which isn't different from posters who downplay LM cause they want Spiderverse to win. And so on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Pretty much this... Revenge of the Sith is alright though.

I actually like both the opening battle and end fight from Sith and think they're worthy of the original films. You still have to deal with the crummy Lucas dialogue in between them but it's much better than the other two overall.

People trying to justify Menace or Clones often use some kind of statement like "Dave Filoni made them worthwhile retroactively!!!!" Um, no.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

The Prequel Trilogy still sucks. It just got the RUFFFIIIOOOO boost from those who grew up watching it and don't want to admit it.

This is such a tired and trite way to dismiss people who don't agree with you. "WAAAH they're biased because of childhood nostalgia" Of course, the same logic could be used in the other direction to dismiss people who dislike the movies, but I suppose consistency is a bit much to expect on the Internet.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Disney needs to fire their test audiences 

They need to fire Kathleen Kennedy.  And my opinion on that has nothing to do with the far right’s bullshit takes about Rey being a Mary sue or wokeness nonsense (which is all a bunch of garbage spewed by bad people) but from the fact she has mismanaged the Star Wars films pretty horribly with constant announced and canceled projects and very divisive last couple of movies and then seemingly missing the landing on Indiana Jones on a movie they were incredibly confident in. 

Edited by SoSaysI
  • Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

They need to fire Kathleen Kennedy.  And my opinion on that has nothing to do with the far right’s bullshit takes about Rey being a Mary sue or wokeness but from the fact she has mismanaged the Star Wars films pretty horribly with constant announced and canceled projects and very divisive last couple of movies and then seemingly missing the landing on Indiana Jones on a movie they were incredibly confident in. 

I actually like the character of Rey and want another Rey movie where she does what she SHOULD have done for the Rise of Skywalker plot: become a true "sky walker" and create the new Jedi Order. Being unbound to the whole "has to include the original heroes" thing would open up new plot possibilities. Sadly Indy doesn't have an "out" like this, especially since most don't want The Adventures of Mutt to be a thing.

• Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

This is such a tired and trite way to dismiss people who don't agree with you. "WAAAH they're biased because of childhood nostalgia" Of course, the same logic could be used in the other direction to dismiss people who dislike the movies, but I suppose consistency is a bit much to expect on the Internet.

Everyone is biased by childhood nostalgia. It's part of the human condition. You realize it more as you get older, even about the things you love.

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

I actually like the character of Rey and want another Rey movie where she does what she SHOULD have done for the Rise of Skywalker plot: become a true "sky walker" and create the new Jedi Order. Being unbound to the whole "has to include the original heroes" thing would open up new plot possibilities. Sadly Indy doesn't have an "out" like this, especially since most don't want The Adventures of Mutt to be a thing.

I have no problem with her character and would be fine seeing her again in a story that is well done.  I haha zero confidence in Kennedy as a producer at this point or that she can help usher a good Star Wars movie to completion.  

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

Everyone is biased by childhood nostalgia. It's part of the human condition. You realize it more as you get older, even about the things you love.

And just the same people who were older when they came out and dislike the prequels were biased by various expectations. But apparently that bias shouldn't count against those opinions because....reasons.

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Did we already forget, Mario just did gangbusters with pretty poor reviews? We'll see about critics consensus when more reviews come in and more importantly, how audiences will react. Maybe critics are just too cynical these days to enjoy a simple adventure romp. As much as i love Indy, the old movies are just that, nothing more. And sometimes they get viewed at through rose colored glasses. Temple of Doom is really not that great. Anyway, as far as i'm concerned, i'm still looking forward to Ford doing his schtick. Maybe i'm just easy to please. :)

p.s.

I think some of you are way overreacting. Reviews do impact the opening but not as much as some may think, i believe. As for online polls, they might not always reflect the "real" interest amongst the general audience, especially for an old IP like Indy. Tbh, i'm not overly concerned, it is the last Indy with Ford anyway, even if it is the movie of the year.

mario is an illumination movie and had decades of shills (some paid) ready to lay down their lives in defense of its honor from the second it was announced