Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

20 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The difference is that Harrison Ford is the one who made Indiana Jones what he is. The character is synonymous with him. There have been plenty of characters inspired by Indiana Jones, but there’s only one Harrison Ford. 

I could say the same for Tobey Maguire and whoever played Batman first on big screen.

I also fall into the category that there's always an Indy story to tell as long as Ford lives regardless of his age as long as it's faithful to the Indy DNA and the story is good and executed well enough. Batman and Spiderman are comics but Harrison Ford is Indy and created the character with his charisma. That said, there's always a small possibility in the right context. I loved the young Indy tv show adventures in the 90s without Harrison Ford. And even though I'm not a fan of the new Star Trek Kelvin timeline movies, Chris Pine plays a canny Shat...Kirk. So anything is possible but seems very unlikely here. Maybe that reboot and remake in 20 years from now for new audiences.

Btw, I just remembered that Indy 5 is partly shot in Pinewoods Studios which means that the breakeven point drops drastically. I'll update my numbers on that later. Disney seems to really milk that 25% production incentive in UK. E.g. Quantumania and TLM were shot there. To my understanding, they need to only spend 10% of the billings onsite but can get the incentive for all billings under the UK production company that they create. Nice...

11 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

None of the kids these days have Harrison Ford's swagger. We all saw what happened with Solo

Solo was a prequel in a pre existing universe. People are talking Bond type of recast. They could even go the full hog and bring him into the modern world (outside of war movies historical are super struggling these days).

• Like 1

You're always going to have a hard time recasting actors who were perfectly cast.

Good luck recasting Tony Stark or Wolverine.

And anyone who tries to play Indy after Ford is going to be dissected on an atomic level. The man is synonymous with Indiana Jones.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Boxx93 said:

Absolutely nobody wanted a Han Solo movie at all, period. It doesn't matter who played him. That movie sucked ass. That movie bombed hard. End of story. 

Also making a Solo movie right after you KILLED Solo in The Force Awakens was tone deaf AF

Black Widow had this problem, too...it's hard to draw an audience, even for a good film (which I thought Widow was), when you've just killed off the main character.

For the record, I also enjoyed Solo, although I don't know I'd get it to "good" film category.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yes. And he will.

I am not so confident. 

I agree that urling out a new Indy fim beind sucessful because of IV is stupid...Crystal Skull  was a badly flawed film.

But ,franily, the early reception and low presales  don't scream Huge Hit to me. I say this with sorrow because I am a big Indy fan, but I  can't ignore or handwave away facts, and the facts are not promising for Destinry's bos office.

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I want an Indiana Jones film with Indiana Jones in it. That’s what I’m getting in a few weeks, and i’m hyped af about it. 

he’s always been about the archaeology and culture of the relics he’s researching anyway. The action (Doom aside) has always been pretty much him hanging on for dear life, but able to take a swing.  Do I believe an 80 year old Harrison Ford could kick anyone’s ass? Absolutely.  As this character? - 100%. He is Indiana Jones. Accept no substitutes. I’ve never wanted a recast. Just do a new character.

i love Ford as Indy, but I think saying he cannot be recast is pretty narrow minded.

Way back in 1967, people said people would never accept a James Bond who was not Sean Connory.

Fans are so damn narrow minded at times.

17 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am not so confident. 

I agree that urling out a new Indy fim beind sucessful because of IV is stupid...Crystal Skull  was a badly flawed film.

But ,franily, the early reception and low presales  don't scream Huge Hit to me. I say this with sorrow because I am a big Indy fan, but I  can't ignore or handwave away facts, and the facts are not promising for Destinry's bos office.

You might be right. Let’s see how the upcoming three weeks unfold.

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

The only reason people say that no one else can play indiana jones is that it hasn't happened yet. If Sean Connery clung onto Bond for 40 years people would say the same thing about that character.

Hell, People were saying that in 1966 when Connory announced he was leaving the series.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

You might be right. Let’s see how the upcoming three weeks unfold.

I just htink the kind of turn around you seem to think will happen seldom happens in the real world. you have to go with the precentages.

I think people are forgetting though that recasting Connery did not go smoothly at all. 

Lazenby's first movie made roughly a third less than any of Connery's previous three movies and it spooked them so much they hired (an obviously greying and out of shape) Connery back for Diamonds.

And even after that when they realized they would still have to bite the bullet and recast, their eventual choice was Roger Moore who had made a career starring in internationally successful tv shows playing James Bond-ish type characters. 

I guess what I'm saying is, recasting a role like that is totally possible but it's a massive risk and has to be done with a great deal of care and thought because you need to prime the public to accept even just the possibility.

And even then the initial replacement is going to be subject to so much backlash.

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 2

I think replacing Ford will be hard, i mean he's so iconic and entrenched into that role. I think Disney will do it though.

My guess is they probably wait like 10 years, and reboot the series with another actor.

Even after another 10 years (and possibly Fords death), it will still be hard for the audience to accept a Indiana Jones film without Ford. Disney will REALLY have to spend some time trying to find the right man.

In fact i wouldnt be surprised if they go the youth route, someone in their early 20's, someone who can grow into the role and someone that can grow into the audiemces phyche (spelling?).

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Danny Seagren, from the Electric Company’s segments. The catch here most people think that Nicholas Hammond was the first lol.

You got me! Always though that Nicholas Hammond was. It is amazing how many people answer Tobey Mcguire

But then the Spidey TV show is not well remembered; Hammon is actually better known for his role as one fo the Von Trapp kids in 'The Sound Of Music" then the Spidey sereis.

• Thanks 1